• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Norwich non-stop Sunday 5th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like Greater Anglia ran a non-stop train from Liverpool Street in Norwich in close to or faster than record time.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/servic ... 5/detailed
9P26 seems to have covered the distance in under 83 mins, where the current record from 1987 stands at 83 min 22 sec.
I'm told the 'special' run was used to return the stock that formed the 0926 NRW to LST footex.

It's not known whether this was an official attempt to break the older record or an opportunity to collect data in advance of a future record attempt.
But anyway, those passengers onboard seem to have been treated to the fastest non-stop time for 25 years!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londontransit

Interesting but its always been a line that doesn't have any serious racing potential. This record run is essentially the Norwich in Ninety without an Ipswich stop. In 1971 or thereabouts we did Liverpool Street to Norwich in exactly 1hr 45 minutes. It was a late runner from the capital and we got to Norwich on time. Good old semaphores, jointed track and manual signal boxes all the way north of Colchester. Yes we stopped at Colchester, Ipswich (the usual two hour express stopping points.) Haulage was a Class 47 given every possible bit of encouragement and everyone was amazed it could be done.

Shwam3

Finally got round to checking this, seems it was 745004 which did the run in 82m 11s (stop to stop, checked by remote download).
Doesn't appear to have been an official attempt (nor a practice run), as nobody I've spoken to was even aware it happened.

Class 170101

Established Member
Finally got round to checking this, seems it was 745004 which did the run in 82m 11s (stop to stop, checked by remote download).
Doesn't appear to have been an official attempt (nor a practice run), as nobody I've spoken to was even aware it happened.

It is the third time in the last few weeks that such an effort has been made from what I can remember seeing on Real Time Trains, the first one to be successful I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.