• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

lostwin - BR in the mid 80's

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ooh lovely, great to see some new additions to this wonderfully nostalgic thread.
12/04/85. 50012 is attached to the 10.45 Glasgow - Penzance at BNS. Total journey time for this train was scheduled at 11hrs 45 mins and included 17 stops.
View attachment 155412
Ah, back when Cross-country services had "bi-mode" capability: Presumably an electric loco south down the WCML to New Street, for a 'Hoover' forward to the South West. :)
27/04/86. 31414 trundles alongside the canal near Smethwick.
View attachment 155427
That's an interesting one, I haven't seen many photos taken from that particular section of canal. Captures the bleak dilapidation of the canal network around Birmingham at that time. That section still feels quite rundown, having walked along it in more recent years, though I recall the view of the railway being partially obscured by more foliage. I think that section of the towpath is currently closed off while work takes place around the old Chance's glassworks buildings above.
07/07/86. The same 37 is prepped at Fort William.
View attachment 155431
That's the distinctive window layout of one of the railway buildings adjacent to the station at Mallaig behind the loco, since demolished. The platform edging also features the dashed white lining that was a notable feature of just this one side of the island platform at Mallaig for a number of years.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
@lostwin(m) , just wanted to add my thanks to you for sharing these. Each of these photos are like mini time-machines. Really fantastic.
I agree. I often revisit (and re-enjoy) many of the photos in this thread.

@lostwin(m) your shots continue to inspire my own ideas for "people of the railways"; and I've added new compositions to my photos thread "Loco Hauled Around Havant". :)

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

That's the distinctive window layout of one of the railway buildings adjacent to the station at Mallaig behind the loco, since demolished. The platform edging also features the dashed white lining that was a notable feature of just this one side of the island platform at Mallaig for a number of years.
Arrgh, I’ve done it again! My historic notes are wrong on these images, yet every time I fail to correct them. Thanks for the clarification, I’ll go back and edit the post.

lostwin(m)

I agree. I often revisit (and re-enjoy) many of the photos in this thread.

@lostwin(m) your shots continue to inspire my own ideas for "people of the railways"; and I've added new compositions to my photos thread "Loco Hauled Around Havant". :)
Thanks, I’ll go and take a look. Give me a week or so and I might have some more to post here too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great to hear, thank you. I’ve loved re-visiting these images myself and the super feedback has been hugely appreciated

We very much appreciate you sharing them @lostwin(m).

There’s a few things I’ve noticed that have given me some inspiration for future modelling projects.

lostwin(m)

08/02/86. Being young and not very organised, I didn't bother to check the weather forecast before setting out on another Southern overnighter. Turns out that this was the coldest night in the region for over 40 years, a bracing -12 degrees no less. For some reason, my abiding memory is going for a pee at Eastleigh station and finding the water in the bowl and cistern frozen!

Did it stop me taking photographs? - well obviously not, but I did seem to have an issue with over exposure on a few of these - either a camera or (more likely) brain malfunction from the cold, no doubt. As a result, the images do seem to have a partly frozen quality themselves.

33209 (another Slim Jim scored, nice!) ticks over at the head of the 20.30 Waterloo - Yeovil, before departure.
515 final.jpg

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Snow in evidence in frigid conditions at Woking. These stabled engines there will need quite an effort to start in the morning.
516 final.jpg

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Slim Jim to first batch Little ED - the cold seems much less worse when the evening produces decent motive power!

73001 being loaded before shunting on to the 22.52 Waterloo Weymouth - the classic start to a Southern overnighter at the time.
521 final.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Those are lovely winter night time shots. I wonder if any locos stable overnight at Woking these days ?. I can remember in the 70s keeping an eye (head) out for locos in Woking yard and other such places.

lostwin(m)

Those are lovely winter night time shots. I wonder if any locos stable overnight at Woking these days ?. I can remember in the 70s keeping an eye (head) out for locos in Woking yard and other such places.
There seems to be at least 5 locos at Woking based on the two pictures I posted, I don't re-call there being that many usually. Thinking back now, I wonder if it was related to the weather and they were out to assist with any third rail issues the units might have in the morning?

lostwin(m)

A few shots taken at Exeter St Davids next.

31/07/85. The disadvantage of B&W photography is that, whilst I can tell you that this DMU is in Chocolate & Cream livery, you will look at the shot and may not believe me! Leading Motor Trailer DMSO W51322 gets the 2010 service to Paignton under way in typical smoky fashion.

414 final.jpg

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
A few shots taken at Exeter St Davids next.

31/05/85. The disadvantage of B&W photography is that, whilst I can tell you that this DMU is in Chocolate & Cream livery, you will look at the shot and may not believe me! Leading Motor Trailer W51322 gets the 2010 service to Paignton under way in the traditional smoky fashion.

View attachment 156363
Great photo! Just a small caption correction....the leading vehicle is not a motor trailer, which would be a contradiction in terms as it has to be either one or the other. It's actually a DMSO (Driving Motor Second Open). A small niggle though....do please keep them coming!

lostwin(m)

31/07/85. 45037 brings it's mixed goods load into the station environs. My unusually comprehensive notes state that 5 EEC International Tiger tank wagons are in tow. The line crossing warning light system looks fairly rudimentary, I think I would be trusting my eyes as well.

416 final.jpg

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Great photo! Just a small caption correction....the leading vehicle is not a motor trailer, which would be a contradiction in terms as it has to be either one or the other. It's actually a DMSO (Driving Motor Second Open). A small niggle though....do please keep them coming!
I always seem to get into trouble when I play my Poetic Licence pad out the caption card :lol:!

lostwin(m)

02/08/85. An earlier picture on this thread had a 47 hauling a failed 50 through Teignmouth. This is the same train - 11.05 Paignton - Paddington - leaving Exeter, the duo having been removed and replaced by 50008. It's really going to have to pull the stops out to make up the 1 hour delay.

308 final.jpg

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
45037 brings it's mixed goods load into the station environs. My unusually comprehensive notes state that 5 EEC International Tiger tank wagons are in tow. The line crossing warning light system looks fairly rudimentary, I thing I would be trusting my eyes as well.

View attachment 156365

If that was taken in May 1985, then the barrow crossing lights may only be a temporary arrangement as Exeter West box had only been closed at the beginning of the month.

lostwin(m)

If that was taken in May 1985, then the barrow crossing lights may only be a temporary arrangement as Exeter West box had only been closed at the beginning of the month.
Actually taken on 31st July 85 - now edited to show. Thanks for the interesting context in respect of this arrangement.

lostwin(m)

Two shots coming up of locations that I would have travelled to, or through, on many occasions but rarely seemed to point my camera.

13/02/86. For Crewe, this was probably because post '85 (once I had my camera) I was more likely to be travelling through - heading North - rather than using it as a base for spotting and bashing, which I would have done heavily pre '85. This is possibly my only photo taken there. 31427 backs ECS consisting of 13 coaches into the station.

545 final.jpg

lostwin(m)

Less excuses for St. Pancras, as I would have been travelling down from Leicester far more frequently to bash the Southern at the time. I only really have batches of photos from two separate occasions when I pulled my camera out, some of which I have posted already.

15/09/85. This is a good view right inside the full arch. 45146 has charge of the 17.05 Nottingham working, the HST is for the 17.00 to Sheffield.

406 final.jpg