• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lx008

I assume that within the next week or two the first few will arrive at Seafield, so not long to wait for the first pictures unless anyone cathces them getting delivered.
It’s never been clear to me how these are delivered, are they driven up from the Southampton port or are they put on a flatbed for their journey, if so how on earth do you get a double decker on a flatbed under bridges?

Volvodart

Established Member
It’s never been clear to me how these are delivered, are they driven up from the Southampton port or are they put on a flatbed for their journey, if so how on earth do you get a double decker on a flatbed under bridges?
Will they not go to MCV in Cambridgeshire?

Auld reekie

That’s quite an interesting question.
I’m sure someone will have an answer.

Established Member
Double deck buses are moved using lowloader trailers if they aren't driven.
I'm guessing the BZLs are around 14'6 and the minimum height of an unsigned bridge is 16'6, so using a lowloader with a deck of 2' or lower there's no issues transporting them with an HGV.

Auld reekie

I'm guessing the BZLs are around 14'6 and the minimum height of an unsigned bridge is 16'6, so using a lowloader with a deck of 2' or lower there's no issues transporting them with an HGV.
Thanks for that.

JD2168

They will probably be treated height wise like a double deck trailer supermarkets have which are I think taller than a double deck bus.

CSB0241

On Moderation
No-one managed to grab a sneaky pic of a BZL yet?
I’ve just gone up to Seafield, but I haven’t seen any parked up, so if there are any, they’ll probably be inside the busworks.

No-one managed to grab a sneaky pic of a BZL yet?
I’ve just gone up to Seafield, but I haven’t seen any parked up, so if there are any, they’ll be inside.

14’1.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Correct.

I've just seen a photo of the BZLs and they look horrible, Gold front Volvo panel with mainly madder elsewhere. Very few white with some at the back.

It's obviously incomplete, but as it is I think it looks really good. A nice departure from the current livery and a nod to the past.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I don't think the current livery is going anywhere. I think this new one is an addition. They are actively repainting every XLB into a fresh coating at present and the last of the 401-425 group repaints are being completed, including 411 having returned earlier today. Saying that, the current livery is my favourite bus livery, so it is inevitable I'd want it to stay longer. It's just a look that could last a century. So simple yet so modern and smart. This new BZL livery does not feel the same way.

The livery itself is similar to the former stripe livery. It's two madder strips, one between the upper and lower deck windows and one below the windows. The lower front is completely painted madder, minus the surround around the Volvo badge which is gold. The mirrors and advert frames are also gold.

I think this one suffers the opposite problem of fleet of the future, there's not enough white! Also worth noting the images I have seen all show the nearside, so I have no idea how the livery works around the glass staircase. Does it cross over, does the upper madder strip follow the glass staircase and join with the lower one?

Last edited:

computerSaysNo

Established Member
From a very unofficial source on Facebook: Lothian Country vehicle 931 broke down on the bypass last night with loss of power or failed gearbox, on the last X40 of the evening, and required police to attend for safety. Vehicle 1028 was sent from Marine to finish the X40 service.

stevenedin

Established Member
From a very unofficial source on Facebook: Lothian Country vehicle 931 broke down on the bypass last night with loss of power or failed gearbox, on the last X40 of the evening, and required police to attend for safety. Vehicle 1028 was sent from Marine to finish the X40 service.
According to bustimes this is correct. Although 931 has just arrived back in Livingston and 1028 returned back to Marine and is on service 5 now on bustimes.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Where are these photos hosted, could someone please provide a link?
It was mentioned that the photos were on a Facebook group, but it may be that it's a private or secret group. In this case it's understandable if people don't want to share links.

It's probably best to be patient and wait until someone puts a photo in the public domain. I'd also caution against anyone lifting photos from outside sources and publishing them here without the owner's permission.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I thought you did in a previous post, but it appears that I've misread it.

Yes, they are circulating privately on Facebook.

--------

Lothian have won four of the five tenders in Edinburgh;

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Vectron383

On that topic, what routes are likely to be the first to see these new vehicles? I know that the 4 EVs Lothian currently have spent time on the 24, 8, 9, 23 and 10- is it fair to say that these are the most likely routes?