• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU/Elizabeth Line 4G update

mrmartin

Came across this article while doing my quarterly google news hunt for any info..

Tube passengers may be able to stream the World Cup Final on their smartphones while deep underground, it can be revealed.

The roll-out of a 4G wireless network on the London Underground is due to hit a major landmark by the end of next month, when a number of stations and tunnels on the Northern and Central lines will be the first in central London to be connected.

The exact launch date is being kept under wraps but it is understood it could be ready in time for the final on December 18. Stations previously earmarked as being the first to benefit include Euston, Bank and Oxford Circus.

The Standard has been given behind-the-scenes access to the work being done to install super-fast wifi to the subterranean sections of the Underground. The 4G network will exist alongside the existing wifi on the Tube.

So sounds like a fair bit of Northern and Central will be getting coverage immintently. I also wonder if this will include the Elizabeth line, given that tweet from TfL saying it was coming 'soon' after opening.

Regardless, the article does confirm the latest EL could get phone coverage would be end of 2024 (which is the first time I've seen it actually written!). I would assume a lot sooner, but great to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChewChewTrain

Thanks for the update. Probably one of those “careful what you wish for” things, but it would certainly be nice to be able to give those you’re meeting the 5-minute warning while in the tunnel.

sor

was the article written by someone who thinks any form of internet connection is "wifi". it's very confusing to read where they appear to be talking about 4G as "super fast wifi" in addition to actual wifi.

still, good to see people will have internet access. I'm sure it'll lead to Dom Joly style shouting but it still feels like a win over all, and it eliminates a "everything in Britain is always bad" talking point.

mrmartin

Thanks for the update. Probably one of those “careful what you wish for” things, but it would certainly be nice to be able to give those you’re meeting the 5-minute warning while in the tunnel.
I don't think many will use it for phone calls, but it will be a godsend for those on longer tube commutes. You can get through most of your mornings email if you have connectivity I find before you even get into work. This project must have probably the highest RoI of any recent rail project in terms of economic productivity. If even 10% of passengers use it for work it will unlock hundreds of millions of hours a year of time to be much more productive. I wouldn't be surprised if the RoI on this project is 100:1 or more.

bicbasher

Established Member
I've used 4G on the JLE for streaming music and checking emails. I haven't taken calls though.

BeijingDave

I do a 45-minute commute each way in Beijing, which has had 5G for over 2 years now

There are places to sit and also standing areas (with no seats) on my subway line. I stand or sit depending on luck and have a good chance to observe what's going on around me.

I would say about 1 in 20 people, if that, are actually doing work on that commute, from what I see usually using an Excel spreadsheet or something on a smartphone or tablet which (unless a shared document) can be done 'offline' anyway. The other 19 people will be watching movies, playing games, listening to local equivalents of Spotify. if it's evening commute some will be ordering their dinner from the equivalent of Deliveroo (there is a benefit to the economy there of course) etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but I think the productivity benefits may be being overestimated.

You need an actual table to work properly on a commute, and you don't get that on underground lines.

Established Member
I've used 4G on the JLE for streaming music and checking emails. I haven't taken calls though.
I have. Works perfectly, just as good as above ground.

Until you leave Westminster heading towards Stanmore!

DC1989

I read previously that the 4g is ready but interferes with the trains so it's turned off. Perhaps it will be fixed with the software updates planned at xmas?

tubeuser

I hope that it will be throughout as much of the undergorund section of the Northern Line as possible and not just in the core central area.

Broucek

I'd rather "they" sorted the signal on the WCML since my journeys on that are rather longer...

mrmartin

I'd rather "they" sorted the signal on the WCML since my journeys on that are rather longer...
Really a Network Rail issue, not allowing operators access to the line side masts they've already got for GSM-R.

Btw one tip I find works very well on improving data connectivity on trains is disabling 2G and 3G on your phone and only connecting to 4G/5G. Android phones can do this quite easily, don't think it will be possible on iPhone.

Before the GWML was basically no useful signal post Swindon on o2 because it continually connected to 3G masts which were too overloaded to provide any data. And once it steps down to 3G it seems to hang on to it for a (very) long time before connecting back to 4G (which works) - even if there is 4G coverage. Now I've disabled 2G/3G on my phone it works for pretty much 95%+ of the journey, with a few notspots of totally no signal (tunnels obviousy and some cuttings). It's a huge improvement.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope that it will be throughout as much of the undergorund section of the Northern Line as possible and not just in the core central area.
It will include all tunnelled areas of the network.

rebmcr

Established Member
an Excel spreadsheet or something on a smartphone or tablet which (unless a shared document) can be done 'offline' anyway.
Only if you know in advance which sheet will require attention, and remember to ensure it's loaded onto the device. Unexpected short-notice, responsive tweaks can really take advantage of connectivity, and potentially 'unblock' further work by a colleague already in an office (rather than making them wait).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone know when the District Line might be done?
As per the TfL website, it is due to be completed by 2024.
And will they be be covering outdoor parts of the Underground too?
No point, as there is already mobile signal avaliable above ground via ordinary transmission methods. It will however include those short stretches of tunnels in what are ordinarily open sections (for example the tunnel between East Putney and Southfields).

Gigabit

As per the TfL website, it is due to be completed by 2024.

No point, as there is already mobile signal avaliable above ground via ordinary transmission methods. It will however include those short stretches of tunnels in what are ordinarily open sections (for example the tunnel between East Putney and Southfields).

Not in some cuttings!

By 2024 isn't very specific, hope it might be done next? Can I dream? :)

stuu

Established Member
That is not strictly a tunnel. And if it was considered to be one, then the section south of Bow Church is structurally the same, so there would be five

mrmartin

Yep, terrible comms on timelines for this project. Couple of weeks left before the end of the year - not sure we will be seeing it this side of 2023!

mrmartin

Great, only 6 stations tho (and the tunnel between them, I read on another article). Hopefully 2023 sees a much more rapid rollout!

JonnyM

Yep, terrible comms on timelines for this project. Couple of weeks left before the end of the year - not sure we will be seeing it this side of 2023!

BAI press release is here - https://www.baicommunications.com/m...e-in-the-coming-week//?country=United_Kingdom

Good to see they have started the roll-out so they can say they've kept to their end of year deadline, however it's disappointing that the stations that were going live (TCR, Oxford Circus etc) by the end of this year will now be early next year.

I am amazed there is no news about the Elizabeth line, beyond the usual 2024 end date. It's a brand new line, I would have expected 4G/5G from the first day it opened.

Kilopylae

My friend reports that whatever TfL has done to the data on the jubilee line has somehow made the signal actively worse. Any clues on how that works?

Benjwri

Established Member
I would have expected 4G/5G from the first day it opened.
That was the plan but the equipment interferes with the signalling system, and passenger safety comes above convenience, so it's turned off for now until the issues are sorted and fixes tested

setdown

I’m on Three and now get a really good signal between Queensway and Shepherd’s Bush only, feels like a random selection to have.