• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink

jfollows

Established Member
Yes any multi modal journey is awful for price currently. My partner sometimes gets the train from Old Trafford to Birchwood and it costs £15. It definitely needs sorting out. When it is improved, it will lead to increases in demand. I think there's valid questions whether the Stockport rail corridor could cope with usage at peak times in that scenario.
There appear to be fares in the reverse direction only, https://www.brfares.com/!expert?orig=BWD&dest=QMB&period=20240401

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grimsby town

There appear to be fares in the reverse direction only, https://www.brfares.com/!expert?orig=BWD&dest=QMB&period=20240401
To be honest I forgot you could buy through rail Metrolink tickets but as you say its in the opposite direction. That would impact the Stockport cost but my point stands that it's still significantly more expensive than a Metrolink link fare would be. I'd also question how aware the general public or even station staff are of such tickets.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My partner sometimes gets the train from Old Trafford to Birchwood and it costs £15. It definitely needs sorting out.
Should only be £14.50. £4.30 for the Zone 1-2 anytime day travelcard. Then £10.20 for an Anytime Day Return from Manchester Stns to Birchwood. Instant 50p saving!

jfollows

Established Member
To be honest I forgot you could buy through rail Metrolink tickets but as you say its in the opposite direction. That would impact the Stockport cost but my point stands that it's still significantly more expensive than a Metrolink link fare would be. I'd also question how aware the general public or even station staff are of such tickets.
I’ve never had any problem buying a through ticket from Wilmslow, the station staff had no problem with it.