• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maninblack

Any news from Stadler factory in Switzerland? Any new trains being built? Anything hapening at all??

orangeelephant

Just passed a battery loco dragging a single metrocar at Benton heading in the direction of Howdon, could be the next heading for scrap but sadly we were going too fast for me to catch which number it was :/

Paul_10

Was in Tyneside again a couple of weeks back, just to note 4070 has joined the que of metrocars on the avoiding line.

There does seem to be another line of metrocars on the avoiding line heading towards the Regent Centre end, assuming all of them are long term out of use and one of them appears to have a door leaf removed but was hard to tell. Unable to see any unit numbers but i wouldn't be surprise if some of them are 4020,4034, 4040, 4063, 4064, 4072(have not seen this unit for a good while now), and 4088 but hopefully someone with inside knowledge could possibly identify the units(assuming they are still there!)

Trestrol

Just passed a battery loco dragging a single metrocar at Benton heading in the direction of Howdon, could be the next heading for scrap but sadly we were going too fast for me to catch which number it was :/
I'm surprised they let the only working battery loco out on the main line. It's not in the best of health. All three are awaiting a decision on overhaul funding.

Tramfan

Just loco training I think, as there was one out yesterday too and the metrocar was powered up. Presume the metrocar is attached in case of problems with the loco?

Was in Tyneside again a couple of weeks back, just to note 4070 has joined the que of metrocars on the avoiding line.

There does seem to be another line of metrocars on the avoiding line heading towards the Regent Centre end, assuming all of them are long term out of use and one of them appears to have a door leaf removed but was hard to tell. Unable to see any unit numbers but i wouldn't be surprise if some of them are 4020,4034, 4040, 4063, 4064, 4072(have not seen this unit for a good while now), and 4088 but hopefully someone with inside knowledge could possibly identify the units(assuming they are still there!)
4020, 4034 and 4064 also appear to be on the avoiding line

During October there were 6 units which I didn't note in service, excluding those withdrawn/stored etc. Although 1 of the 6, 4014, was noted in service on this forum. The other 5 were 4030, 4033, 4037, 4059 & 4072.

On Wednesday 1st Nov the Rail Head Treatment Train, operated by 4081 & 4003, passed through Meadow Well towards North Shields at 14.52 and about 5 minutes later BL2 hauling 4048 passed heading towards Percy Main.

Last edited:

Paul_10

During October there were 6 units which I didn't note in service, excluding those withdrawn/stored etc. Although 1 of the 6, 4014, was noted in service on this forum. The other 5 were 4030, 4033, 4037, 4059 & 4072.

On Wednesday 1st Nov the Rail Head Treatment Train, operated by 4081 & 4003, passed through Meadow Well towards North Shields at 14.52 and about 5 minutes later BL2 hauling 4048 passed heading towards Percy Main.

4037 is on the depot avoiding line, I suspect 4059 and 4072 are also on there aswell as they have not been seen in service for a while it seems.

Said it before but it is crazy there is so many units unavailable and the first new train has not even done any daylight testing yet. Going to be testing times if we get any serious cold this winter.

Maninblack

So are the Metro engineers on strike?? That'll be more bad news! I've lots of business that means using the Metro in the next few weeks. This is bad news!!

Paul_10

Is there any further updates to the main OP list? I've noticed the unit that has the door missing is 4020 as you can see the Queen jubilee stickers on the recent depot video that metro has posted.

Any possibility of the long term out of use units coming back or any more trains due to go for scrap?

Lesterhoss

I was up in Newcastle just over a week ago-12/13 Nov chasing the 30 units not seen and photographed since my last visit 12months ago. Having picked up 10 on the Sunday afternoon I set off on Monday morning trying to see the remaining 20. Travelling from Sth Gosforth towards the airport I noticed the line of units along the back of the yard.
I got off at the Regent Centre and decided to walk towards the back of the depot to try and identify these units. Indeed walking through the housing estate whose gardens back onto the depot the line of units became visible between the gaps between the houses. Further along there is clear space with trees and a gateway to the depot so I was able to identify new units 555003+5 along with units 4026/4033/4078 next to new units. There was also a BL shunter on the outside of the depot building farthest away from the running lines which I could not identify.
The units on the w/drawn? line are 4001/4010/4020/4034/4037/4060/4061/4063/4064/4070/4076/4077/4080.
Back on the metro heading back to Newcastle as we passed the depot the doors to the first building were open and there was a BEL shunter just inside but I could only see 9790. unfortunately not the last digit.
I was left needing 7 units but have since discovered that 4 units have been sent for scrap and I needed 3 of them so I am down to 4 4003/4046/4071/4089. I hope to get back to Newcastle before any of these are withdrawn and sent for scrap.
Hope this helps.

kez19

Established Member
Stupid question, was on Metro today coach number 4031A but had a number display at driver 135 (example), what does the 135 mean/represent? I think this has been a question I forgot to ask!

Tramfan

That is the train running number, effectively a diagram number - 101-112 are Airport to South Hylton services and 121-136 are St James to South Shields services.

kez19

Established Member
That is the train running number, effectively a diagram number - 101-112 are Airport to South Hylton services and 121-136 are St James to South Shields services.

Thank you, I have always wondered in all my time visiting Newcastle what they meant, I was thinking it was driver ID lol

ModernRailways

Established Member
As expected, the cold weather has totally crippled the fleet today. 2 trains per hour instead of 5 (30 min frequency).

TWTrains

555013 and 555015 have arrived at Dollands Moor Sidings (Folkestone) this morning via Channel Tunnel. Anyone know when the delivery to Gosforth will be?

4059 is back in service. I travelled on it yesterday.

According to RTT some units arrive into Pelaw early hours on Friday morning, which units I don't know as someone else will have to say.
The train to York Holgate Yard from Wembley Reception early this morning was cancelled due to a signal failure, according to RTT, so I presume the train to Pelaw will be rescheduled.

Last edited:

Maninblack

I thought there would have been further deliveries of new trains by now!
Any news from the Swits?
Its 2024 in a couple of weeks time and the new trains and long overdue!!

DanNCL

Established Member
I thought there would have been further deliveries of new trains by now!
Any news from the Swits?
Its 2024 in a couple of weeks time and the new trains and long overdue!!
Two more currently in York and arriving at Gosforth overnight tonight. At least a further 10 are complete in Switzerland and will be delivered as soon as Nexus has space for them, which won’t be until the extra stabling roads at Gosforth open in the new year.

Maninblack

Two more currently in York and arriving at Gosforth overnight tonight. At least a further 10 are complete in Switzerland and will be delivered as soon as Nexus has space for them, which won’t be until the extra stabling roads at Gosforth open in the new year.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I cannot wait for the now fleet to enter service.

tez thorn

I can confirm 555013 and 555015 arrived yesterday (dont ask me why they jumped from 555005 to 555013/15, you'd have thought 06/07 would have been next)