• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My scanned slides - 1977-1985

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1511

In a scene that would struggle to be any more industrial, 47318 passes through the Aluminium works at Warrington Bank Quay with a loaded MGR

BR Photo Scans _20 (2).jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Back in 1981, the 3 loco hauled Services out of London Bridge on weekday evenings occasionally turned up a 'skinny'! Here is 33202 delighting the photographer by turning up on his train to Uckfield. This is either Oxted or Lingfield, and I am sure someone will confirm which....

BR Photo Scans _21.jpg

D1511

This is an amusing one! It's just under half of 13002 outside Swindon Works. However, I've got news for the guy with the Granada 2.3GL (with vinyl roof!)......it's not going to fit on that trailer! :smile:

BR Photo Scans _26.jpg

D1511

A shocking picture, for which I can only apologise, but this caught me unaware when it appeared!
It's a pristine 86210 being dragged into a then unelectrified Edinburgh by a contrastingly grotty 40123 for its naming ceremony in Waverley the next day.
Note the paper taped over the nameplate!

BR Photo Scans _20.jpg

D1511

BR Photo Scans _18.jpg

And a pair of choppers back to back at either Saltley or Bescot depot in Oct 1980. Nice view of the asymmetrical cab doors to accommodate the two diagonally opposed driving positions. Also, one for the modellers......small or big logo, TOPS panel or not, and forget the allocation stickers!

D1511

55014 heads south over the Royal Border bridge with the 09.50 Edinburgh Plymouth on 10th July 1981.
The loco would normally change at York, usually for a peak.

BR Photo Scans _8.jpg

D1511

Bound for preservation (at that time), Hymek 7029 and Warship 818 sit outside Swindon at the turntable. Clearly the Hymek is at a more advanced stage in the process! However, perhaps the fate of 818 was already known, as it never made it.

BR Photo Scans _6.jpg

Last edited:

D1511

BR Photo Scans _9.jpg

This is 33013 at Woking in the summer of 1980. I'm sure someone will tell me what these strange coaches are!

D1511

31132 idles at Paddington on a warm summer night in August 1981 waiting to be released after having brought in the stock for the 00.50 to Milford Haven. The ironwork in the roof looks magnificent in this photo I think....more so than in a daytime shot.

BR Photo Scans _4.jpg

D1511

This is the Transverse loco mover at Swindon (I think) with 37172 on it.....or it could possibly have been in a South Wales Depot. Unfortunately i haven't been able to find all my photo notebooks, so perhaps someone can help. On reflection, it doesn't look a high enough ceiling for Swindon.....

BR Photo Scans _19.jpg

Last edited:

D1511

47320 receiving a bit of attention in Crewe on the Works Open Day in 1981.
I can almost smell Crewe Works looking at this photo!

2023-11-06-18-22-0001.jpg

D1511

With a low evening sun illuminating the engine bulkhead inside the cab, 47270 leaves the Edinburgh Sub at Craiglockhart junction heading to Slateford with a tanker train to Uddingston in summer 1979.

2023-11-06-18-05-0001.jpg

D1511

If I could tell you exactly what this is I would, but it looks like Doncaster works, and it is 1980!

BR Photo Scans _3.jpg

D1511

On a two day Scottish Railfans Society spotting trip to S Wales in the summer of 1980, some of us headed down to Barry scrapyard after checking into our Cardiff B&Bs.

Darkness was descending as we wandered along the ghostly lines of rusted steam and diesel locos

This is class 21 D6121 and an unidentified class 41 that had both numbers obliterated. Someone might know what it was. Directory suggests either 600 or 601. They were both gone just a few weeks after this photo was taken.

BR Photo Scans _25.jpg

D1511

Also at Barry, this will mean something to many on this site. I hope it made it to preservation......

BR Photo Scans _16.jpg

D1511

Class 42 D818 looks smart at Swindon Works in August 1981, but it was scrapped there in 1985. Was it going to be preserved, and then wasn't?

BR Photo Scans _5.jpg

ac6000cw

Established Member
This is 33013 at Woking in the summer of 1980. I'm sure someone will tell me what these strange coaches are!
Exhibition coaches/vans probably?

If I could tell you exactly what this is I would, but it looks like Doncaster works, and it is 1980!
An ex-class 15, one of four converted into train-heating units at some point. The other 40 locos were scrapped by the early 1970s.

Last edited:

D1511

BR Photo Scans _11.jpg

Here is all of 13002 in it's usual surroundings - hump shunting in Tinsley yard in Oct.1980

D1511

BR Photo Scans _22.jpg

Last one for now......40152 runs light engine past Ashburys (I think) on a chilly morning in January 1980

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Class 42 D818 looks smart at Swindon Works in August 1981, but it was scrapped there in 1985. Was it going to be preserved, and then wasn't?

View attachment 146175

Supposedly cut up by mistake during the year that Swindon works was closing. The group (the DTG?) turned up to find this one as a heap of bits and the cutting team starting on the insides of D1015 Western Champion before they were stopped.

Heartbreaking really, but I have read that due to the pipe work and wiring removed from D1015, all of that had to be replaced with new materials, which in the long run made it easier to return it to main line condition.

Magdalia

Established Member
I started by posting my recent scanning project on Flickr, but I found it a somewhat soulless experience. Whilst it has great reach and good search functions, there is limited feedback other than view count

The Flickr debate is an interesting one. My photos have always been for my own enjoyment and from the experiences of @lostwin(m) , I'm not certain posting lots of my pics for general consumption with no engagement with those viewing them would be a very wholesome experience.
There are ways of getting that feedback on flickr, and it is a two way street. But it is all about increasing your visibility to other people on flickr.

Every time anyone logs into flickr they see their activity feed. Most importantly for me, my activity feed includes new pictures posted to the groups that I belong to, and new pictures posted by the people that I follow.

Participation in groups is the best way of increasing your profile on flickr, because all of the group members get to see what you are sharing with the group. A lot of new stuff that I find on flickr is because someone new has posted pictures to a group. Accept group invitations when you receive them, and join open groups where you can then post to the group without needing an invitation. But do read and follow the group rules.

I can only follow people once I know they exist! That usually happens through groups or searches. Good use of captions and tags is important to maximise your chances of being found in searches. Following other people, and hoping that they will reciprocate, is another way of trying to get more people to follow you.

Most people on flickr like to get comments on their pictures. There are lots of knowledgeable people on flickr who are very good at identifying mystery locations, or identifying locomotives from detail differences. Sometimes comments trigger interesting discussions, a bit like here. If I'm reading comments on a picture, and see a name that I don't recognise, then I usually take a look to see if they have anything of interest, so commenting on other people's pictures is another way of making yourself visible.

I also don't think my modest collection of poorly taken photos from these times is going to add a great deal to the research base already out there
You'd be surprised! When the picture fills a gap in the research base it is important, irrespective of the quality. There are still plenty of gaps and I have a mental list of "holy grail" photos that one day I hope to find: you might be the person who has a "holy grail" photo.

D1511

Could it be Stratford? One of those heating unit locos in garish colours was there at open days around then.
Very possibly, although I thought the building and the presence of wagons in for repair (there's an old VTG Ferrywagon in the background) suggested Donny, but I was certainly at a Stratford Open Day that year.

Supposedly cut up by mistake during the year that Swindon works was closing. The group (the DTG?) turned up to find this one as a heap of bits and the cutting team starting on the insides of D1015 Western Champion before they were stopped.

Heartbreaking really, but I have read that due to the pipe work and wiring removed from D1015, all of that had to be replaced with new materials, which in the long run made it easier to return it to main line condition.

What a ghastly mistake. The poor preservation group must have been devastated. But how on earth could that have possibly happened by accident?
There are ways of getting that feedback on flickr, and it is a two way street. But it is all about increasing your visibility to other people on flickr.

Every time anyone logs into flickr they see their activity feed. Most importantly for me, my activity feed includes new pictures posted to the groups that I belong to, and new pictures posted by the people that I follow.

Participation in groups is the best way of increasing your profile on flickr, because all of the group members get to see what you are sharing with the group. A lot of new stuff that I find on flickr is because someone new has posted pictures to a group. Accept group invitations when you receive them, and join open groups where you can then post to the group without needing an invitation. But do read and follow the group rules.

I can only follow people once I know they exist! That usually happens through groups or searches. Good use of captions and tags is important to maximise your chances of being found in searches. Following other people, and hoping that they will reciprocate, is another way of trying to get more people to follow you.

Most people on flickr like to get comments on their pictures. There are lots of knowledgeable people on flickr who are very good at identifying mystery locations, or identifying locomotives from detail differences. Sometimes comments trigger interesting discussions, a bit like here. If I'm reading comments on a picture, and see a name that I don't recognise, then I usually take a look to see if they have anything of interest, so commenting on other people's pictures is another way of making yourself visible.

You'd be surprised! When the picture fills a gap in the research base it is important, irrespective of the quality. There are still plenty of gaps and I have a mental list of "holy grail" photos that one day I hope to find: you might be the person who has a "holy grail" photo.
Thanks for that......I was completely unaware of all that Flickr functionality, so I may upload some after all. I'd be surprised if I have too many precious sought after relics though!

Gloster

Established Member
View attachment 146160

These look like some of the few remaining ex-LMS exhibition coaches. They had been based at Wimborne, but by mid-1980 I think they were at Salisbury.

D818 was kept at Swindon as a source of spares for D832 and was scrapped when Swindon closed. There was an attempt at preservation, but how realistic it was I don’t know.

D6130

Established Member
47318 passes through the Aluminium works at Warrington Bank Quay
Minor point....but that's the Unilever soap works. Great photo though!
This is either Oxted or Lingfield,
The bay platform on the right gives it away as being Oxted.
Exhibition coaches en route from their base at Salisbury....which was where the TMD was later built.
I would say probably Stratford. The buildings at Doncaster are of red brick rather than blue.
This is the Transverse loco mover at Swindon (I think) with 37172 on it.....or it could possibly have been in a South Wales Depot.
Cardiff Canton possibly?
This is class 21 D6121 and an unidentified class 41 that had both numbers obliterated. Someone might know what it was. Directory suggests either 600 or 601.
Ah....the great D6121/6122 controversy! That was actually D6122 which. at some stage, had swapped a cab with D6121 and the number had worn off after years of exposure to the salt sea air at Barry. The warship was D601 'Ark Royal'.
Also at Barry, this will mean something to many on this site. I hope it made it to preservation......
Yep....preserved and fully-restored to working order! Can't rember on which heritage line it's currently based as it seems to do the rounds quite frequently.
40152 runs light engine past Ashburys (I think)
Correct!

Brilliant photos....keep them coming!

ac6000cw

Established Member
Without wanting to de-rail this new thread, there is definitely room for both approaches. I started by posting my recent scanning project on Flickr, but I found it a somewhat soulless experience. Whilst it has great reach and good search functions, there is limited feedback other than view count and I found that the Photostream - which orders images by date of upload - made it hard to build a narrative around a batch of images on which I wanted to tell a story. It didn't motivate me to continue.

By posting in a forum community, you are sharing with a smaller number of people, but it's great to get the engagement - whether that be a compliment or some extra information around the image of which you were not aware. It has made the process of sharing far more enjoyable, which has motivated me to put in the hours in to process my images and recount the stories behind them.

Ultimately, when I have finished my project on here, i think I will go back to Flickr and look at things like the Album functionality, to see if I can capture my portfolio as a coherent whole. For now, this forum has been far more fun to engage with.
You can change the order of pictures within an album on Filckr using the 'Organizr' facility (go into an album and use the 'Edit in Organizr' link at the top, or select it from the 'You' menu), and also change the display order of the albums on the 'Albums' page. An album can also have a description at the top as well as a title.

Albums take very little time to add and organise, but I think make the browsing experience much better. I think making it easy for other people to view them is the main reason for uploading photos to a site like Filckr.

Status
Not open for further replies.