• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network SouthEast TV advert (early 90s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
the marketing director for Network SouthEast needs to be shot.

that was a terrible advert..

Daimler

Established Member
Yikes! That was terrible! And yet BR produced some good adverts in their time...

Most of the others on the collection were quite amusing in their dated-ness though.

monkey

...yeah agree that was terrible. its amazing what you remember, I remember that sure sensive ad vaguely...:shock:

Thanks for posting this. I like old nostalgic stuff like this, and have a slowly growing collection of it on my computer. (I just spent an hour trying to find one of the old OLD simpson's episodes with the intro where Bart steals the bus stop sign)

One thing I do find interesting is how different TV commercials are nowadays to when they were then. For instance, the Matteson's sausage advert; it didn't contain one bit of innuendo then, now think of the current Matteson's advert, it's embarassing :|

EDIT: Yeah, the Network SouthEast advert was pretty crummy.

Established Member
and I thaught Jimmie Savile and "the age of the train" was bad :lol: the advert has nothing to do with trains or a train service.

...yeah agree that was terrible. its amazing what you remember, I remember that sure sensive ad vaguely...:shock:

I remember when the X-Files was broadcast on terrestrial television and that it was actually worth talking about; also that I was too young back then and it was on too late for it to be deemed acceptable for me to watch.

I also remember when more programs were on terrestrial TV and channels 1-5 were actually decent; now the digital switchover is looming, terrestrial has lost all of the decent TV (except the afternoon installment of Diagnosis Murder / Murder, She Wrote - terrestrial television is still well and truly stuck in the 90s in that aspect, usually weekday afternoons!) and we're forced to use digital anyway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I watched a video around my parent's house (yes - they haven't moved on to DVD yet) which was recorded in the mid eighties. The adverts were as interesting as the film. What struck me most though was how angular all the cars looked.

Tell me about it, everything nowadays is all plastic, rounded corners and lasts for a quarter of the time it did back then...

Drsatan

Established Member
Tell me about it, everything nowadays is all plastic, rounded corners and lasts for a quarter of the time it did back then...

Like washing machines.

Back to that advert, when watching it on YouTube I thought it was an advert promoting suicide at first. And no, not every "Off-peak outing" is a treat!

JoshW1992

Established Member
That didn't really serve a purpose at all... Nothing lead to 'a train company' in the advert, apart from the train at the very end... bit silly really.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I love it,only part ones moaning about enginering works the rest is brilliant theres EPBs,CIGs, everywhere orginal Class 465s when they were new and much much more.....

Too true, and plenty of satisfying clackety clackety clack sounds as well :D

Bighat

Sir John Betjamin at his brilliant best.

I normally HATE poetry, but his words on this commercial (and not forgetting his excellent Metroland poems too) say it all.

He couldn't save the doric arch at Euston, but we do have him to thank for St. Pancras in all its restored glory.

At least he is imortalised in bronze on the concourse there!

Status
Not open for further replies.