• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nigel Harris to stand down as RAIL editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting development for one of the big magazines, Nigel Harris has announced via Twitter that he is stepping down (presumably to retire!) from RAIL with his final day being 15 September 2023:

We all come to forks in the road and this is a big one for me. This decision has been crystallising slowly since February and now is the right time for me to slip out of the RAIL driver’s seat. This announcement was circulated to my Bauer colleagues earlier today.
A PERSONAL STATEMENT FROM NIGEL HARRIS

I would like to announce some personal news, to confirm some rumours currently circulating.

After more than three decades at Bauer, with more than 28 years as Managing Editor & Events Director of RAIL, I've decided that it's time for me to change direction and move on. My last day in this incredible role, which I've done since July 1995, will be Friday 15 September - the day after this year's National Rail Awards, at London's Grosvenor House Hotel.

It has been the privilege and honour of my professional life to lead the evolution and transformation of RAIL, from the hobbyist/enthusiast gazette of 1995 to the influential magazine you see today, which is widely respected throughout the industry and indeed Government. We have never shirked 'speaking truth to power.'

So, from the bottom of my heart, my thanks and appreciation to each and every one of you. I shall miss you all and I wish you all the very best of success, both professionally and personally, in the future. Most of all, I wish you good health.

I'm confident our paths will cross again soon, probably in some bar (!) on a train, or maybe at the lineside - wherever it is, it will be wonderful to see you.

Thanks again one and all. The erstwhile Great Central Railway's motto says it all: 'Forward!'

Presumably he intends to hand over the RAIL twitter account as he has step up a personal account here.

I will confess that I've not been a RAIL reader for a number of years now and I know that previous occasions we've discussed it on here has led to some, er, interesting opinions on the quality of the publication. But still bit a shift in the landscape seeing as he's been in charge there since the mid-90s almost 30 years ago! Be interesting to see how RAIL changes once he's gone.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
A PERSONAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM NIGEL HARRIS

I would like to announce some personal news, to confirm some rumours currently circulating.

After more than three decades at Bauer, with more than 28 years as Managing Editor & Events Director of RAIL, I've decided that it's time for me to change direction and move on. My last day in this incredible role, which I've done since July 1995, will be Friday September 15 - the day after this year's National Rail Awards, at London's Grosvenor House Hotel.

It has been the privilege and honour of my professional life to lead the evolution and transformation of RAIL, from the hobbyist/enthusiast gazette of 1995 to the influential magazine you see today, which is widely respected throughout the industry and indeed Government. We have never shirked 'speaking truth to power.'

Building RAIL's success over nearly three decades has always been a team effort and editorially I have been fortunate and privileged to have worked with dozens of talented and sharp writers, sub-editors, designers and production staff. I cannot mention them all but I must pay fulsome tribute to my current second-to-none team. Deputy Editor Stef Foster, News Editor Paul Stephen, Office Manager Ellie Johnson, Production Editor Mike Wright and Art Editor Charles Wrigley are, individually and collectively, far and away the finest editorial team I've been honoured to lead. I naturally include our exceptional regular freelance writers: Phil Haigh, Christian Wolmar, Barry Doe, Sir Michael Holden, Paul Clifton, Tony Streeter, Howard Johnston and 'Insider.'

My respect for, and gratitude to, each and every one, is unbounded. Their skills, insight, support, loyalty and relentless hard work have truly been an inspiration.

I have also been blessed to work with several generations of top class commercial, marketing, events, managers and other Bauer professionals in creating not only today's magazine but also its growing orbital portfolio of successful business events. Led by the National Rail Awards and RAIL Live, this also includes the RAIL 100 Breakfast Club, many conferences/seminars, B2B quarterly RAIL Review and, during the pandemic, a hugely successful series of webinars, largely created by Deputy Editor Stef Foster. The RAIL brand's continuing success would not have been possible without the editorial/wider Bauer team's individual and collective enthusiasms, creativity, commitment and sheer hard work, which frequently demanded many ‘extra miles' - which were always freely and generously given. I owe all of these wonderful people a large debt of gratitude which I can never repay.

So, from the bottom of my heart, my thanks and appreciation, to each and every one of you. I shall miss you all and I wish you all the very best of success, both professionally and personally, in the future. Most of all, I wish you good health.

I'm confident our paths will cross again soon, probably in some bar (!) on a train, or maybe at the lineside - wherever it is, it will be wonderful to see you.

Thanks again to one and all. The erstwhile Great Central Railway's motto says it all: 'Forward!'

Nigel Harris, Managing Editor & Events Director, RAIL, Friday August 25 2023

Quick and dirty extraction above using a text editor. Looks correct though.

Is it wrong to say 'finally'? Really fell out of love with RAIL in recent years, particulary because of this fella.

fireftrm

Perhaps it will become a friendly and more inclusive place with him gone. I haven't purchased a copy for the last 10 years and wouldn't whilst he was in charge. I'm amazed Bauer put up with him for as long. Farewell Nigel, we'll not miss you

Purple Train

Established Member
RAIL subscriber here. I can't speak for his personal qualities or otherwise, but, while his analysis was a bit hit-and-miss, the hits were usually right on point.

Barry Doe has also just retired, which is a shame - wishing him a long and happy retirement!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I often didn't agree with him, particularly over privatisation, but it all goes to make Rail a good read. I will be sad to see him and Barry go.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I haven't bought Rail since it was Rail Enthusiast back in the days when it was a good read for an enthusiast and less political. Always thought Harris was rather pompous and self-important personally so I won't be sad to see him go.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Always thought Harris was rather pompous and self-important personally so I won't be sad to see him go.
The point at which I realised how true this was was when he threw a hissy fit at Hull Trains for not inviting the railway press to their 802 launch event at the back end of 2019. This launch event was focussed on local residents, local press and basically Hull itself. Their intention being to run an event for local interest and then later do a big launch with railway press and whatnot invited. Nothing particularly unreasonable about it. But to hear him go on about it you'd think that HT had personally gone to his house driven an 802 into his living room...

RPM

Established Member
I've interacted with Nigel on Twitter for a number of years. I know a lot of people dislike him, but I've always found him thoughtful and respectful, even when we significantly disagree on a given issue.

19Gnasher69

I’m surprised at the levels of animosity cited above. Whilst I haven’t agreed with all of Nigel Harris’s views (particularly on privatisation and franchising - very Daily Rail), his carefully considered analyses of railway matters were usually accurate and always thought-provoking. None more so than his recent, worryingly accurate, criticisms of current government policies towards the railways. His appearances on the likes of the Today Programme and TV news shows always seemed to be similarly pro-rail. I’ll miss his editorials and hope that his replacement will be as insightful.
Equally, I’ll miss Barry Doe’s column, though not the feelings of inadequacy it engendered, leaving me wondering how anyone can possibly know so much about transport ticketing, routes and fares……

DannyMich2018

I've not bought Rail regularly for many years, up until about 2008 wasn't too bad but got worse since and only bought the occasional copy since. Today's Railways UK I find best but even that's gone a bit poor recently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've interacted with Nigel on Twitter for a number of years. I know a lot of people dislike him, but I've always found him thoughtful and respectful, even when we significantly disagree on a given issue.

He blocked me because I vehemently (but politely) disagreed with him on something (I forget what, it was ages ago). I consider this sort of use of the block button downright childish, so I therefore lost any respect I ever had for him at that point.

He was also utterly condescending during the conversation up to that.

deltic

Established Member
He blocked me because I vehemently (but politely) disagreed with him on something (I forget what, it was ages ago). I consider this sort of use of the block button downright childish, so I therefore lost any respect I ever had for him at that point.

He was also utterly condescending during the conversation up to that.
I too was blocked for having the audacity to question the case for reopening the Colne to Skipton line.

Ken H

On Moderation
I often didn't agree with him, particularly over privatisation, but it all goes to make Rail a good read. I will be sad to see him and Barry go.
Barry Doe is a tireless campaigner for bus rail integration, and cross mode information (train enquiry offices having bus information and vice versa)
One of his publications is here - https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer.php?token=ddf5cb89-b628-447c-8cf3-71c3d9be9d04
(Link to image of Doe's Directory of Bus Timetables 12th edition 1989-08 [Great Britain])

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Nigel Harris blocked half of railway Twitter in his time. He’s a poor sport and in real life I can attest that he’s an unpleasant and condescending man. I spent half a day with him once (thankfully not one on one).

James H

He has now launched a podcast - Green Signals - with Richard Bowker: https://www.greensignals.org/

Green Signals is a show about railways - its politics, its economics, its people and history. We turn over the issues of the day and talk to the people making the decisions that affect all our lives. We also dig into many of the amazing events in the history of an industry that spans nearly 200 years. Nigel Harris (former Managing Editor and Events Director of the leading industry and opinion forming magazine RAIL) and Richard Bowker (former Chair & CEO of the Strategic Rail Authority) steer the show to make it sometimes controversial, frequently irreverent - but always topical and relevant.

uglymonkey

I didn't like the fact that the Rail twitter account seemed to be his own personal spouting piece .( rather than the magazine and the other staff at all). No opinion expressed except Nigel's !!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Barry Doe is a tireless campaigner for bus rail integration, and cross mode information (train enquiry offices having bus information and vice versa)
One of his publications is here - https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer.php?token=ddf5cb89-b628-447c-8cf3-71c3d9be9d04
(Link to image of Doe's Directory of Bus Timetables 12th edition 1989-08 [Great Britain])

Yes, it's amazing the difference even a bus timetable and map of the local bus stops at the station can make.

Unfortunately there seems to be a trend of putting the bus and railway stations on opposite sides of the town around here !

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I loved the Rail Enthusiast days, but I really have never had a problem with Nigel Harris. I buy an electronic copy now and then of RAIL. It needed a change though IMHO so it was definitely the right time for him to step down.

Class15

On Moderation
RAIL subscriber here. I can't speak for his personal qualities or otherwise, but, while his analysis was a bit hit-and-miss, the hits were usually right on point.

Barry Doe has also just retired, which is a shame - wishing him a long and happy retirement!
Barry Doe will be missed. He had some great lines.

Fatboyslim

Had the unfortunate pleasure of chatting to him once. Never again, arrogant and patronising spring to mind.

Barry Doe on the other hand, throughly decent bloke. Knows his stuff.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I have briefly spoken to him on a couple of occasions and he was OK, but I do thank him for the huge part he played in securing the Windcutter fleet of 16T Mineral wagons, back in 1993, when he edited Steam Railway magazine. These have run ever since on the GCR.

I always liked Barry Does 'service please,' column in Modern Railways in late 90s early 2000's Unsurprisingly Connex was a regular mention!!

Rover

I corresponded with Barry many times over the years and he was always happy to help me with information for my Railrover website, he allowed me access to his Rail article about rail rovers prior to publication and occasionally asked me for my opinions. I always found him to be an extremely nice and approachable person, we still send each other an email Christmas card. Enjoy your retirement Barry.

Towers

Established Member
I purchased a copy of Rail earlier this week, for the first time in probably a decade or so. I notice these days it seems to be printed on noticeably cheap paper, I don’t recall that being the case last time I read a copy. I was reminded why I stopped buying it previously; primarily because as with any printed media it’s out of date as soon as it leaves the printing press, and websites exactly like this one can provide so much more information so much more quickly. I suppose many folk must enjoy the opinion pieces in there. It does have a rather dated feel to it though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Now that Nigel and Barry have retired, I think they need another columnist or two to fill the opinion slot.

Let's face it, news - we can get an idea of most of what's going on through t'interweb, but expert opinion is what the web can't provide (not very well anyway).

bspahh

Established Member
I used to read RAIL every so often from the digital subscription through my local library, mainly for the odds and ends of news. I now have a digital subscription to the Branch Line News https://www.branchline.uk/membership.php which costs £12 a year for 24 copies as PDF files.

Purple Train

Established Member
Now that Nigel and Barry have retired, I think they need another columnist or two to fill the opinion slot.

Let's face it, news - we can get an idea of most of what's going on through t'interweb, but expert opinion is what the web can't provide (not very well anyway).
It does feel very empty with little except for Haigh and Wolmar - not that I dislike either of them, but the variety of columnists was part of what kept me attracted to RAIL.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Coherent opinion columnists are incredibly rare. During my time editing Waterways World, I'd often get chatting to the dep ed of Canal Boat and we'd bemoan that neither of us had ever managed to find the canal equivalent of Roger Ford. You can find people who can write; you can find people who understand the industry; but the two together is a rare combination.

(Actually… I should add a third qualification. Being able to write; understanding the industry; being able to hit deadlines. The best writer in the world is no use if you allocate them three pages every month and they don't send in their copy. Those of you who know the waterway press, professional and amateur, can be permitted a wry chuckle at this point…)

Status
Not open for further replies.