• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Tender for up to 450 units

Meerkat

Established Member
Don’t forget standing room. On a 756 there is additional capacity for 148 standees on a 3-car and 204 on a 4-car unit to bring total capacity to 290 and 394 passengers respectively. I assume that the 755 for GA will have a similar total capacity too.

If these new trains are to be replacing the 15X fleet and also substitute for the 195s operating through Manchester & Leeds, then we need to understand for a FLIRT could compare to a 15X in 4xcar formation (as that is the predominant configuration) and compared to a 4-car and 6-car 195 formation.

A 4-car 150 would be 80m long with just over 400 passengers, while a 4-car 156 or 158 would be 90m with a capacity in the region of 440-450.

So if all 15X units are replaced by the same volume of 75X units in a combination of 3-car and 4-car trains, it would therefore be possible to continue running double units just as the 15X and 195s are today. That would mean trains of 130m or 160m long in 6-car or 8-car formation, with a total capacity of 580 or 788 passengers (seated and standing).

So it could be the case that following in the footsteps of Greater Anglia and TfW and get some 755s or 756s might not be a bad thing for Northern to do. At least to have enough 3-car to run in 6-car formation.
Am I misreading/mis comparing various stats?
80m = c.300 seats in a GWR 150 v 755/4 202 seats (plus 27 tip ups)
That seems quite a big difference.
And less flexibility for the 755 as you can’t have two 40m trains.
Bigger issue is whether Stadler would set up a factory for such a big framework order (though they would demand a guaranteed minimum presumably).
If not then giving them such a significant big long term order would be politically courageous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Bigger issue is whether Stadler would set up a factory for such a big framework order (though they would demand a guaranteed minimum presumably).
If not then giving them such a significant big long term order would be politically courageous.
That 300 for the 150x2 is surely assuming 2+3 seating (the Wikipedia entry gives 147 seats for GWR vs. A max of 149 for Northern).

Meerkat

Established Member
That 300 for the 150x2 is surely assuming 2+3 seating (the Wikipedia entry gives 147 seats for GWR vs. A max of 149 for Northern).
Makes sense.
So what is a fair comparison for Stadlers against the 150s they would be replacing?
I vaguely remember the number of seats in the Welsh valleys was dropping with the move to Stadlers, but don’t know if that was 2+3 v 2+2.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect the 124 listed under Northern is for the 2+2 layout (despite them not having any with that layout).

A 3+2 facing bays /1 would have about 70 per vehicle from a quick reckoning.

You will get fewer in a Stadler due to the above-floor power pack and electrical gubbins behind the cabs (the usable vehicle length is about 16m, so the same as a Pacer vehicle, or about 18m if you have half-articulated intermediates like the 745s do) but that's the trade-off for full low floor. Three or four-car 24m units with one low floor section between the bogies of one of the middle vehicles (or both) with those unpowered may be a better trade-off.

I don't see that 755s would be unsuitable, though. Just that they will need to be long enough, which means the 3 and 4 section units of GA would result in chronic overcrowding. On the face of it Northern and GA regional may seem similar, but they aren't - GA regional is like Northern's branches - don't forget that much of it was until recently single 153s!

As Northern already have 2-car 195s which were specifically procured for cascading to the likes of Ormskirk, Headbolt, Rose Hill etc (and are already used on the latter) it makes sense for this new fleet to be longer.

Trainbike46

Established Member
you're comparing an old unit built to no longer relevant crash standards with 3+2 seating with multiple 2+2 units built to modern crash and accesibility standards - obviously all the 2+2 trains will have a significantly lower density. If you were to replace the 3+2 layout with 2+2 seating at the same pitch you would get ~240 seats (removing 1 out of every 5 seats), which really isn't that big a difference anymore

I don't think a 150 is a suitable comparison for any new rolling stock as you can't procure more of them, and they can't really be used for much longer due to their age. That's why I decided to compare to various units that are recently-ish built (class 170, 195, 196), which should meet modern standards. The 755 is somewhat lower density, but not massively so, so I don't see why there would be grounds to brand them as unsuitable. I'd note that at GA they are very popular units
Is that desirable? all else being equal, a fixed 80 metre train is cheaper than 2 40 metre ones, and has more seats. In my view, Northern has enough short trains with the 195s for the routes that justify it, and the aim should be passenger growth - which requires having the capacity to transport those passengers
If UK manufacture is a requirement stadler is highly unlikely to win - and adding a 5th UK manufacturer doesn't seem like a great idea in the current situation either

it has 3+2 seating, and so do at least some of the northern 150s. Also note that the wikipedia seat number entries are out of date and/or inaccurate. I do not know where you could get accurate numbers short of finding the units and counting (note there's at least a few seating layouts around!)

You will get fewer in a Stadler due to the above-floor power pack and electrical gubbins behind the cabs (the usable vehicle length is about 16m, so the same as a Pacer vehicle) but that's the trade-off for full low floor. Three or four-car 24m units with one low floor section between the bogies of one of the middle vehicles (or both) with those unpowered may be a better trade-off
that may be true, or a mix of 4 and 6 car FLIRTs, or whatever other manufacturers come up with.

For me the important points are:
- Level boarding (at least for 1 car with the wheelchair spaces, but ideally everywhere)
- BEMU (maybe trimode or bimode, with option to adapt to BEMU or EMU in the future)
- comfortable for passengers (to me, the GA FLIRTs meet this standard very well, 150s do not)

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I don't see that 755s would be unsuitable, though. Just that they will need to be long enough,
That’s the issue if it causes platforming problems compared to the current trains.
Killing a UK factory to buy Stadlers with fewer seats for busy routes would be a PR challenge!

Trainbike46

Established Member
That’s the issue if it causes platforming problems compared to the current trains.
Killing a UK factory to buy Stadlers with fewer seats for busy routes would be a PR challenge!
Earlier discussion indicated that there wouldn't be platform issues, though. Are you aware of platforming issues that wouldn't fit a 100 to 120 metre train somewhere on the northern network, and if so, where? Remember SDO exists!

I don't see that 755s would be unsuitable, though. Just that they will need to be long enough, which means the 3 and 4 section units of GA would result in chronic overcrowding. On the face of it Northern and GA regional may seem similar, but they aren't - GA regional is like Northern's branches - don't forget that much of it was until recently single 153s!

As Northern already have 2-car 195s which were specifically procured for cascading to the likes of Ormskirk, Headbolt, Rose Hill etc (and are already used on the latter) it makes sense for this new fleet to be longer.
Though the GA regionals are growing in popularity so much now that, at times they need longer or more frequent services now!

The improvement since before covid on those routes has been amazing, and northern should aim to do something similar. so getting a mix of 4 and 6 car FLIRTS or high-quality units of at least similar length from other manufacturers is required for that

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Low floor trumps all in sales-pitch terms. Look at how utterly rubbish the 777s are and how some 730 a likes* would be light-years better, but low floor has sold them to everyone.

* Probably need to be a 20m variant.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
The 150s will be in a 3+2 formation, while the 75X units will be in a 2+2, but it has more standing room.

UnitCarsLength (m)SeatsStandingTotal
1504 (2x2 car)80248160408
1584 (2x2 car)90276162438
7566 (2x3 car)130284296580
7568 (2x4 car)161.4380408788

If all the 2 and 3 car 15X units were replaced by 3 and 4 car 75X units, then I guess we’d see a lot of 6-car trains operating, because the 15X trains tend to operate as double units.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Low floor trumps all in sales-pitch terms. Look at how utterly rubbish the 777s are and how some 730 a likes* would be light-years better, but low floor has sold them to everyone.
Simply put, the UK manufacturers should come up with a level-boarding design each. Every mainland europe manufacturer has level boarding options. If they can't or won't, they shouldn't get anymore orders for passenger stock

HSTEd

Veteran Member
In 2024 at least one door should be 'level boardable'.
Unfortunately, the lack of robust stock interoperability standards makes this extremely difficult.

The modern railway is not like the old days when you could just splice vehicles from fleets into each other (508 into 455). So we can't just produce a bunch of said accessible vehicles and put them into existing formations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, the lack of robust stock interoperability standards makes this extremely difficult.

The modern railway is not like the old days when you could just splice vehicles from fleets into each other (508 into 455). So we can't just produce a bunch of said accessible vehicles and put them into existing formations.

Though this thread is (the 195/331 aside, and these are units still in production so it could be done) about new kit. And with regard to new kit I completely agree - a wheelchair user should be able to board without a step or gap.

Meerkat

Established Member

* Probably need to be a 20m variant.
It really doesn’t, not to the public (And therefore the press). ’yeah but it’s level boarding’ will not out shout ‘killing a factory to buy fewer seats for crowded trains’.

Trainbike46

Established Member
The 150s will be in a 3+2 formation, while the 75X units will be in a 2+2, but it has more standing room.

UnitCarsLength (m)SeatsStandingTotal
1504 (2x2 car)80248160408
1584 (2x2 car)90276162438
7566 (2x3 car)130284296580
7568 (2x4 car)161.4380408788

If all the 2 and 3 car 15X units were replaced by 3 and 4 car 75X units, then I guess we’d see a lot of 6-car trains operating, because the 15X trains tend to operate as double units.

For all units, end carriages have lower capacity than centre carriages, while also being more expensive. Therefore, if you're mostly going to run double sets, it is likely better to just order longer units, so 6-cars instead of 3 cars for example, and use those throughout.

I think the person you're replying to was talking about any new trains. I certainly have been.
It really doesn’t, not to the public (And therefore the press). ’yeah but it’s level boarding’ will not out shout ‘killing a factory to buy fewer seats for crowded trains’.
you may not have noticed, but at GA the FLIRTs are a lot better received - because they are much nicer units. 2+2 seating, easy access, good build quality, etc.

Level boarding is enormously popular with large parts of the public, including:
- people who use wheelchairs
- People with baby strollers
- people travelling with luggage

It's a lot easier if you can just roll your stroller into the train, rather than having to lift it in, potentially having to ask other people for help.
Especially after experiencing it yourself you really never want to go back.

On top of that, Derby (and other UK manufacturers) need to get their **** together and design a level-boarding unit. We should not accept inferior quality from UK manufacturers, instead we should push the UK manufacturers to improve.

In addition, if you truly believe the UK press and the public have the same priorities I have a bridge to sell you.

Meerkat

Established Member
you may not have noticed, but at GA the FLIRTs are a lot better received - because they are much nicer units.
Much nicer than 150s - hardly a surprise.
In addition, if you truly believe the UK press and the public have the same priorities I have a bridge to sell you
Who said same priorities? The press know what will play - and closed factory and fewer seats will get attention far far more than level boarding.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Much nicer than 150s - hardly a surprise.
I was comparing against the other new fleet at GA - the 720s, which as you know have more seats due to their 2+3 seating and were built in the UK, therefore being preferable by the standards you listed, yet the 755s and 745s are preferred by everyone in the area I know who uses trains. I think any new stock will beat the 150s and similar trains, simply because they are new and shiny.
Who said same priorities?
you did, but that may be because I misinterpreted what you said.
The press know what will play - and closed factory and fewer seats will get attention far far more than level boarding.
I think a large part of this is that many people don't experience level boarding compared to the high steps - in places where people do, the places without level boarding generate complaints (e.g. the Elizabeth line in london, where the central core offers level boarding but the outer stations have big gaps - this was recently in the press as a major safety issue)

I fear this may be going slightly off-topic though. Getting back to Northern - I feel the north, and every other region of the UK, should get quality trains with sufficient capacity - that means that the new trains should be longer than the ones they replace in most instances, offer level-boarding, 2+2 seating, and ideally be mostly (B)EMUs, though some bimodes prepared for being changed into (B)EMUs would be acceptable. The FLIRT is a design in the UK that offers this, and very well in my view, but as I have been stressing repeatedly there are no good reasons why the 4 UK manufacturers (Siemens, Hitachi, CAF, and Alstom) couldn't offer a design meeting these criteria, and all these manufacturers do in fact offer this in mainland Europe in various variations. Level boarding and UK manufacture should not be presented as incompatible.

they should really also have end gangways. much better for both passengers and guards! lack of end gangways is a safety issue when units are in multiple.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It did on Merseyside. The 777s are frankly unreliable junk with the worst interior on the railway (and I'm a Stadler fan - most of their problems appear to have come from Merseytravel's specification instead of just buying the base product). But "new", "locally owned" and "fully accessible" appear between them to have done some massive heavy lifting and people seem to love them.

Meerkat

Established Member
It did on Merseyside. The 777s are frankly unreliable junk with the worst interior on the railway (and I'm a Stadler fan - most of their problems appear to have come from Merseytravel's specification instead of just buying the base product). But "new", "locally owned" and "fully accessible" appear between them to have done some massive heavy lifting and people seem to love them.
That was a minor deal when the factories were busy, not 450 units over many years (with the bigger factory implications and national attention).
Whats the deal with capacity - are the issues over length because the 777s had to be longer to match the old trains or did they increase capacity?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That was a minor deal when the factories were busy, not 450 units over many years (with the bigger factory implications and national attention).
Whats the deal with capacity - are the issues over length because the 777s had to be longer to match the old trains or did they increase capacity?

They increase capacity by being slightly longer.

Harvey B

they should really also have end gangways. much better for both passengers and guards! lack of end gangways is a safety issue when units are in multiple.
I do agree. End Gangways is a must
I think a large part of this is that many people don't experience level boarding compared to the high steps - in places where people do, the places without level boarding generate complaints (e.g. the Elizabeth line in london, where the central core offers level boarding but the outer stations have big gaps - this was recently in the press as a major safety issue)
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think Level Boarding would be unworkable without Modernisation works to existing Platforms. Wouldn't the height of the Platforms need to be raised (and Maybe Extended outwards slightly) so they can be inline with the New Trains?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I do agree. End Gangways is a must

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think Level Boarding would be unworkable without Modernisation works to existing Platforms. Wouldn't the height of the Platforms need to be raised (and Maybe Extended outwards slightly) so they can be inline with the New Trains?

You order the trains now (as they will be in use for 30-50 years), and do a programme of bringing platforms up to spec over time. In the meantime, a ramp is used at noncompliant platforms.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's already entirely possible to build trains that offer level boarding from a UK standard height platform. Of the platforms on Northern's network, plenty will already meet the standard height, and plenty more will be capable of modification reasonably easily, as has been carried out on Merseyrail and Greater Anglia.

Of course, some stations will still be left without it, but that's better than not having it at all. As the saying goes, perfect is the enemy of good.

Snow1964

Established Member
Anyone know why the following has been published, procurement discontinued for 8 year award of new trains to 2032 covering Supply of New Rolling Stock and Maintenance Support Services

Was it a different tender to one now running, and what is happened now with the procurement

1 supplier​

Description​

This Award Notice relates to the previously published notice 2023/S 000-022810. No contract has been awarded

Award Detail​

1 Unnamed (None)
  • CONTRACT NOT AWARDED – PROCUREMENT DISCONTINUED.

Stephen42

Anyone know why the following has been published, procurement discontinued for 8 year award of new trains to 2032 covering Supply of New Rolling Stock and Maintenance Support Services

Was it a different tender to one now running, and what is happened now with the procurement

It's the procurement mentioned in the first post that has been discontinued. On the same day as the discontinued notice Northern published a new procurement with broadly similar scope. There's a whole host of potential reasons and anyone close enough to the specific process shouldn't be posting here about it. It's far from uncommon for competitions to be restarted and I don't want to speculate on why.

The new notice for a Negotiated Procedure is available here, due to now being in three lots there is plenty of duplicated text so quote below is from across the document merged together.

II.1.4) Short description​

The objective of this procurement is for Northern Trains Limited (NTL) to enter into one or more framework agreements with one or more suppliers for the manufacture and supply of new rolling stock (with associated equipment and including where necessary supporting infrastructure) and associated technical support and spares supply services across multiple phases and lots. This will enable NTL to replace significant quantities of its ageing fleet, enabling the avoidance of escalating costs associated with the operation, maintenance, repair, and leasing of an ageing fleet and delivering medium- and long-term value for the benefit of NTL, DfT, taxpayers and its customers. The contracts for the lots in the first phase are expected to be entered into simultaneously with entering into the framework agreement(s). NTL will separately procure an owning party to purchase each fleet of rolling stock and then lease the same to NTL. The owning party will also be party to each manufacture and supply agreement with each applicable supplier. There may be different owning parties for each lot and phase.
Lot 1 is for Electric Multiple Units (EMU). A supplier may elect to bid for one or more lots. For Phase 1, the estimated requirements for Lot 1 are as follows:

Lot 1:- EMU - required for passenger service 2029-31 (associated fleet introduction or replacement - for Transpennine Route Upgrade): with an estimated requirement of 11 x 3-vehicle units.

Lot 2 is for Multi-mode Multiple Units (MMU) which are also capable of configuration as an EMU or a BEMU on later conversion or (for orders in subsequent phases) on construction. A supplier may elect to bid for one or more lots. For Phase 1, the estimated requirements for Lot 2 are as follows:

Lot 2:- MMU - required for passenger service 2029-31 (associated fleet introduction or replacement for Transpennine Route Upgrade): with an estimated requirement of 44 x 3-vehicle units and 66 x 4-vehicle units.

Lot 3 is for Battery Electric Multiple Units (BEMU) which are also capable of configuration as an EMU on later conversion or (for orders in subsequent phases) on construction. A supplier may elect to bid for one or more lots. For Phase 1, the estimated requirements for Lot 3 are as follows:

Lot 3:- BEMU - required for passenger service 2032-34: with an estimated requirement of 6 x 4-vehicle units. NTL will identify locations for BEMU development in which implementation and successful delivery may lead to additional BEMUs called off for the Network.
Phase 2 is estimated at 126 units with various options of who they order from:
Phase 2: Estimated requirements for units to be called off ... during Phase 2 are as follows:

Lot 1:- EMU: an estimated requirement of 34 x 3-vehicle units and 16 x 4-vehicle units but please note that these units may alternatively be called off under Lot 2 or Lot 3 as a direct build to EMU. An analysis will be conducted at the outset of Phase 2 as regards which of the lots (Lot 1, Lot 2 or Lot 3) will offer the best solution for procurement of EMUs in Phase 2.

Lot 2:- MMU: an estimated requirement of at least 30 x 3-vehicle units and 20 x 4-vehicle units (with potential for up to a further 34 x 3-vehicle EMUs, 16 x 4-vehicle EMUs and/or 26 x 4-vehicle BEMUs to be called off under Lot 2).

Lot 3:- BEMU: an estimated requirement of 26 x 4-vehicle units but please note that:

(i) these units may alternatively be called off under Lot 2 as a direct build to BEMU. An analysis will be conducted at the outset of Phase 2 as regards which of the two lots (Lot 2 or Lot 3) will offer the best solution for procurement of BEMUs in Phase 2; and

(ii) there is potential for up to a further 34 x 3-vehicle EMUs and 16 x 4-vehicle EMUs to be called off under Lot 3.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Very interesting insight @Stephen42 . I wonder, could the 11 EMUs for Lot 1 could be for the services transferring from TPE? And it is good to see a high volume of 4-car units, but does the number of 3-car units allow for 6-car operations where needed?

Snow1964

Established Member
As I read the revised requirements, all 3 and 4car units (no 2car) with option to add additional centre cars at later date

The manufacturing requirements for Lot 2 are for multi-mode multiple units (MMU), including options to order further units and/or additional centre-vehicles. MMU designs should be capable of configuration or reconfiguration as electric multiple units (EMUs) or battery electric multiple units (BEMUs).
Lot 2 is for Multi-mode Multiple Units (MMU) which are also capable of configuration as an EMU or a BEMU on later conversion or (for orders in subsequent phases) on construction. A supplier may elect to bid for one or more lots. For Phase 1, the estimated requirements for Lot 2 are as follows:

Lot 2:- MMU - required for passenger service 2029-31 (associated fleet introduction or replacement for Transpennine Route Upgrade): with an estimated requirement of 44 x 3-vehicle units and 66 x 4-vehicle units.

Phase 2: Estimated requirements for units to be called off under Lot 2 during Phase 2 are as follows:

Lot 2:- MMU: an estimated requirement of at least 30 x 3-vehicle units and 20 x 4-vehicle units (with potential for up to a further 34 x 3-vehicle EMUs, 16 x 4-vehicle EMUs and/or 26 x 4-vehicle BEMUs to be called off under Lot 2).

stevieinselby

Isn’t the problem getting that capacity within platform lengths, when the Stadlers have a power pack in the middle?
Existing trains, and existing platforms, come in a multitude of lengths. Rarely do you have a service where the standard train length exactly matches the platform lengths, especially on a diverse network like Northern. So yes, the power pack does take up some platform length, but the chances that that power pack will make the difference between a train fitting and not fitting into the platform is relatively small. On any one route, there might be some stations where 20m carriages would maximise platform availability and others where 24m carriages would.

On many lines, limiting train length to the shortest platform on the route – and determining carriage size accordingly – will be unnecessarily restrictive. Better to buy trains that give you the capacity and accessibility that is needed and accept that SDO may need to be used in some cases.
It really highlights the advantages of having longer trains for seats per metre!
Yes – that is generally because of less space needed for driving cabs (as a proportion of the total train), and also often proportionally less space given to wheelchair bays, cycle bays and accessible toilets. While there are some advantages in having small units that can operate in multiple, for the most part it is better to have units that are the right size for the services they will be used on.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As I read the revised requirements, all 3 and 4car units (no 2car) with option to add additional centre cars at later date

The small set of battery-only units is odd. I guess more likely that option won't be taken and they'll just go battery and OHLE? Seems odd to have such an inflexible microfleet rather than just dropping the pan when not needed. Unless it's about putting more batteries in the place where the transformer would go for longer routes like the Cumbrian Coast and S&C, but surely those would just use the remaining 195s (hence no 2-car - the small branches would be using 195s instead, which was part of the justification for 2-car 195s being built at all rather than 3s and 4s)?