• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates

Benjwri

Established Member
My idea is based on my supposition that there'll be no rail traffic at all - bearing in mind that for a time there'll be no bridge deck there for it to run over.
There will be blockades but they will be sporadic, I think with 9 days being the maximum length of time ( It is discussed somewhere above). It hardly seems worth the trouble of re engineering the surrounding area, which I can nearly guarantee is neither council nor railway owned, for 9 days. The bridge deck will be built off air and so can be installed relatively quickly, as has been seen in recent cases odd bridges needing replacement after being hit.
Even if there are multiple closures, as they are for a short periods of time it would cause further traffic problems as drivers likely will be unsure when it is open, and bus routes changing frequently would cause confusion. Ideally obviously everyone would check in advance but the human factor has to be accounted for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oxfordblues

Just as the bus companies are finalising their plans to split/divert/retime services to the west of Oxford, Network Rail today advise that Kier Construction will not now be able to meet the start-date of 9 January for the 48-week blockade: https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/delays-and-changes-to-botley-road-closure-dates/

So all the revised bus timetables, vehicle diagrams and driver rosters will have to be un-amended, plus all the plans by the emergency services, delivery companies, Royal Mail, refuse collection, etc.

The delay might impinge on the already-agreed 9-day rail blockade in the summer. No revised start-date has been announced. Some have speculated that the whole project might get put-back to 2024. In which case the traffic filters could be brought-forward, though I doubt this. As a cyclist looking forward to "taking back control" of Botley Road I'm vey disappointed.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
So all the revised bus timetables, vehicle diagrams and driver rosters will have to be un-amended, plus all the plans by the emergency services, delivery companies, Royal Mail, refuse collection, etc.

All they have to do is continue their current methods of working, until whenever the blockade does start, by which time the revised plans will be well and truly ready! But the delay is disappointing, given how long the reconstruction of Oxford station has been dreamed about, seriously considered and finally planned. One day we will actually see spades in the ground.....

Oxfordblues

Network Rail and Kier Construction have been sub-optimal at best in their handling of the public-relations for this project. We were initially promised that the Botley Road blockade would start on 12 November; this was later postponed until 9 January; now we're awaiting the announcement of a revised timescale. Meanwhile it's been alleged that Tesco will no longer make deliveries in West Oxford because of the uncertainty

Gagravarr

The Oxford Mail are reporting the new dates still aren't finalised, and aren't expected to be for a couple more weeks at least - https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23226127.botley-road-closure-timetable-oxford-still-not-finalised/

Talks regarding the closure of a key city route for a major revamp of Oxford rail station are expected to continue for at least the next two weeks.

Last year, in a shock announcement, Network Rail and the county council said they planned to close Botley Road at the rail bridge for 12 months from Monday, January 9.

Work includes re-routing utility cables, replacing the Botley Road rail bridge, and starting to build a new western entrance to the station.

Then, last month, the rail authority scrapped the January 9 start date and said it would come up with a new timetable following discussions with the county council.

City and county councillor Susanna Pressel was told that a possible or likely scenario was for the road to be closed from March to August/September 2023, then for four to six months in the middle of 2024.

Oxfordblues

So here we are waiting to find out the finalised dates for the Botley Road blockade(s) sometime later this year. Everything is still under discussion, we're told. We don't even know the date when we'll finally be told the dates! And even then the timescales could slip back further. I've given up already!

Falcon1200

Established Member
The always dramatic clickbait headline writing Oxford Mail is claiming the Botley Road has been closed this morning - turns out it's Becket Street

Indeed, and it's just the Botley Road end of Becket Street which is closed, according to the signs there just for two weeks starting yesterday (Monday 9th January). At least it's a start, of sorts (the Station Grill is still there, albeit surrounded by hoardings!)

Gagravarr

Oxford Mail are reporting that the Botley Road closures are now happening for 6 months this year and next, with the bridge works slipping a year to August 2024 -

• April to October 2023 – Botley Road part closure until end of October for utility diversion work
  • July 29 to 6 August 6 2023 – All rail lines through Oxford closed for track work and prep work for new platform.
  • March to October 2024 - Botley Road closed for highway work
  • August 2024 – Four-day rail closure for bridge replacement.

snowball

Established Member
Oxford Mail are reporting that the Botley Road closures are now happening for 6 months this year and next, with the bridge works slipping a year to August 2024 -
No doubt based on this press release
As part of a £161million station and railway upgrade, Botley Road will be temporarily closed near Oxford station from 11 April until the end of October to enable station and track improvements and highways redevelopment.

Network Rail, Oxfordshire County Council and Oxford City Council are encouraging motorists and Oxford residents to plan ahead as the £161m Oxford rail station and railway area upgrade programme gets underway in earnest on 11 April.

The rail station and railway upgrades, part of the Oxfordshire Connect programme, involves building a bigger and better Oxford station, expanding the railway to allow more rail services for passengers and freight and reduce journey times in the future. The road network near the station will also be improved to create safer junctions with Botley Road, encourage sustainable transport by enhancing bus travel as well as providing more space for cyclists and pedestrians through the addition of a four-metre cycle/footway on each side of the main road.

This will require the replacement of the current bridge at Botley Road by the station so that an additional railway line can be added into the station and buses, cyclists and pedestrians can more easily access the city centre. Before the bridge is physically replaced next year, 11 different utility providers must divert their infrastructure that currently runs underneath the existing bridge and Network Rail must undertake other preliminary works.

Between 11 April and the end of October:

Motorists that usually use Botley Road to get into the city are advised to use the one of the city’s Park & Ride sites (Seacourt is closest as it is located on Botley Road), to take an alternative route into the city or may wish to consider catching the train instead from a local station with parking
Buses will turn around just before the rail bridge and use the existing bus stops on Osney Island
Pedestrians and cyclists will have access into the city throughout the work
Local residents’ access to their homes will remain at all times, with some diversions in place
The railway station will be open throughout the works with rail services operating as normal, unless otherwise advertised.

In the autumn this section of Botley Road near the station will reopen until it closes again in the spring of 2024 for the bridge to be demolished, replaced and highways improvements made.

When the works are complete by the end of 2024, Oxford station will boast a new western entrance that will be built next to Botley Road and will link up to the new and existing platforms via a subway. The new entrance will make the station more accessible to people living to the west of the station, reducing the current walking time. Dedicated cycle parking will also be available.

As part of the plans the road network will also be improved near to the station as the railway bridge above Botley Road will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time. A four-metre wide cycle/footpath will also be installed on each side to encourage sustainable transport and improve safety.

Network Rail, Oxfordshire County Council and Oxford City Council have jointly agreed the revised programme of works.

The original plan was for a 12-month closure starting in January 2023, but this was reviewed in light of the complexities involved in diverting the utilities and feedback from communities.

The new plan gives some respite by splitting the road closures while still delivering the railway improvements which are vital for Oxfordshire, on schedule for the end of 2024.

The plan also means that most of the work will be completed during spring/summer months meaning less of an impact on school and university terms.

JamesT

Established Member
Disappointingly, apparently the council are going to continue to wait for the railway works to complete before implementing the traffic filters.
I can understand not implementing the Thames Street and Worcester Street filters as it would cut off the area next to the station, but the other ones are needed now, not in two years time.

Oxfordblues

Disappointingly, apparently the council are going to continue to wait for the railway works to complete before implementing the traffic filters.
I can understand not implementing the Thames Street and Worcester Street filters as it would cut off the area next to the station, but the other ones are needed now, not in two years time.
I'm clinging to the hope that the council are waiting to see the effects on traffic of the Botley Road Blockade, then implementing the traffic filters elsewhere in the city before the works are completed. Otherwise it could be another two years, but the investment in new electric buses is conditional on the traffic filters going ahead and Oxford needs unpolluting buses before 2025.

Merioneth

The traffic filters are not popular in the city or county. They will increase traffic as people will drive around the ring road to approach from the filter-free direction. My (sometimes essential, and out of public transport hours) 7.5 mile journey has a filter 400 yards from work, so I will have to travel via the A34 and Botley Road instead, an extra 4 miles. Maybe I’ll buy a van, as these are exempt, and in Oxford, are a licence to abuse bus lanes and park on pavements. And no, I have to take lots of kit with me, and so cycling is not practical. Oxford’s vans and buses also make it very dangerous, and its weather and potholes are likewise disincentives.

smithsoler

The traffic filters are not popular in the city or county. They will increase traffic as people will drive around the ring road to approach from the filter-free direction. My (sometimes essential, and out of public transport hours) 7.5 mile journey has a filter 400 yards from work, so I will have to travel via the A34 and Botley Road instead, an extra 4 miles. Maybe I’ll buy a van, as these are exempt, and in Oxford, are a licence to abuse bus lanes and park on pavements. And no, I have to take lots of kit with me, and so cycling is not practical. Oxford’s vans and buses also make it very dangerous, and its weather and potholes are likewise disincentives.
Where's the evidence for this lack of popularity? The only polling has shown a high level of support. I agree though that the filters/bus gates are ridiculously porous with very wide exemptions (commercial vehicles exempt, local residents given 300 passes per vehicle (!) per annum etc). The current reality in Oxford is significant cuts to what was once an excellent urban bus service caused by chronic car congestion rendering the service unviable whilst the County Council seem to be losing their nerve on the proposals in the face of very vocal, very entitled car users.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for the discussion of Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then please feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate forum section

thanks

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've been sort-of following this thread with interest for a while, especially so after a visit to Oxford a while back which finally saw me walk under that bridge on Botley Road. Wow that's an unpleasant bit, no wonder it's getting removed and improved!

Just to clarify though, in this first wave of work that's coming up, Oxford station does remain open doesn't it? It closes for a big blockade in the summer for a few days, which I'm going nowhere near, but I might be visiting the area in April or May.

Also to clarify, Botley Road will be closed to road traffic but not to pedestrians or cyclists?

The whole scheme looks to be a huge improvement for Oxford, and having recently seen the place on a Sunday afternoon then the works cannot come soon enough. As long as a good service also comes along, of course!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I've been sort-of following this thread with interest for a while, especially so after a visit to Oxford a while back which finally saw me walk under that bridge on Botley Road. Wow that's an unpleasant bit, no wonder it's getting removed and improved!

Just to clarify though, in this first wave of work that's coming up, Oxford station does remain open doesn't it? It closes for a big blockade in the summer for a few days, which I'm going nowhere near, but I might be visiting the area in April or May.

Also to clarify, Botley Road will be closed to road traffic but not to pedestrians or cyclists?

The whole scheme looks to be a huge improvement for Oxford, and having recently seen the place on a Sunday afternoon then the works cannot come soon enough. As long as a good service also comes along, of course!
The best answer is in this part of the press release linked earlier:
The project timeline is as follows:
  • April to October 2023 – Botley Road part closure until end of October for utility diversion work
  • 29 July to 6 August 2023 – Track work and prep work for new platform – rail services impacted. Alternative travel arrangements and advice will be publicised in advance
  • March to October 2024 – Botley Road closed for highway work
I'm not sure exactly what is available for each of the Botley Road closures, apologies. But Oxford Station DOES remain open, with 2 periods of disruption. The 4-Day blockade in August '24 looks like it may mean Oxford station closing (or limited to just the bays), but more details will presumably come out later.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Indeed, though it looks likely that cyclists will need to dismount, at some times at least. During the actual bridge replacement works when the station itself is closed, a walking/cycling route will be provided via the station.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's what I'd read, and figured it remained open. Thank you for clarifying that I had indeed read it correctly, the coffee hasn't really woke the brain up yet :lol: I will plan a trip to Oxfordshire with some confidence now, lots to go and see still!

Indeed, though it looks likely that cyclists will need to dismount, at some times at least. During the actual bridge replacement works when the station itself is closed, a walking/cycling route will be provided via the station.

That makes sense, thanks :) Believe it or not I have no photos of trains on the exisiting bridge, and I'm going to have to change that. Plenty of time, of course.

Thank you both for replying, I've got some maps to get out and have a look at now :D

jimm

Established Member
The Osney Lane footbridge, which crosses the south end of the station car park, offers another route across the line close to the station - and a good vantage point to photograph trains leaving/entering the station at that end if you're looking for 'before the rebuild' photos. Photo in the link below shows a departing service

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Osney Lane footbridge, which crosses the south end of the station car park, offers another route across the line close to the station - and a good vantage point to photograph trains leaving/entering the station at that end if you're looking for 'before the rebuild' photos. Photo in the link below shows a departing service

Thanks! I will 100% be checking that out. I spy a Stagecoach Explorer day out soon!

Parebunks

Oxfordblues

Interestingly, traffic on Botley Road westbound this afternoon is averaging around 2mph with a continuous queue of crawling cars. I guess the majority of motorists in 17 days' time will divert via Woodstock Road or Abingdon Road, but as the latter is already at-capacity I foresee hugely-extended journey times with detrimental impact on bus service performance. The option of using the park-and-rides will be unattractive if the P&R buses themselves are caught up in the chaos and reduced to a crawl.

fandroid

Established Member
Interestingly, traffic on Botley Road westbound this afternoon is averaging around 2mph with a continuous queue of crawling cars. I guess the majority of motorists in 17 days' time will divert via Woodstock Road or Abingdon Road, but as the latter is already at-capacity I foresee hugely-extended journey times with detrimental impact on bus service performance. The option of using the park-and-rides will be unattractive if the P&R buses themselves are caught up in the chaos and reduced to a crawl.
Sadly the same was true of the approaches to the city centre from the east on Thursday afternoon two weeks ago. I was on a bus and desperately wished I could have got off as it would have been far quicker to walk. It certainly made cycling look the best transport mode by a long way!

jimm

Established Member
https://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/botley-road-closure
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/oxfordshire/botley-road-closure
Both bus companies have now announced their plans for the closure - most routes finished/split at Osney Island, with some mildly passive-aggressive wording from OBC around no stops being provided on the new turning circle. Stagecoach's S1 is being properly diverted down Woodstock Road and reduced in frequency, with an E1 shuttle service from Osney-Eynsham.
Cue one or two extra people from Carterton, Witney and Eynsham travelling to Hanborough to get the train in and out of Oxford.

davetheguard

Established Member
Cue one or two extra people from Carterton, Witney and Eynsham travelling to Hanborough to get the train in and out of Oxford.

I still remember when the A34 around Oxford was partly closed for resurfacing in the late 90s & usage at Hanborough went through the roof!

Happily the growth continued, giving us the partly staffed, well used & served station of today.

Snow1964

Established Member
Timeline per Network Rail is now as follows, so initial closure is for utility diversion work (I understand plan is to lower the road).

However if it turns out to be anything like the A363 bridge in Bradford-on-Avon, the utilities have taken about 4 months extra, having discovered when they started work, that they were actually a complicated muddle that wasn't mapped properly many decades ago

• 29 July to 6 August 2023 – Track work and prep work for new platform – rail services impacted. Alternative travel arrangements and advice will be publicised in advance
  • March to October 2024 – Botley Road closed for highway work

I do wonder why when the big cranes are there anyway, they don't put up a few electrification gantries, even if it is ages before the wires get hung from them.