• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pin/Badge help finding.

Railwed

Hi all

I was wondering if there was a shop/website that anyone can recommend to purchase both vintage and new railway pins.
Or even market stalls that you know of.
Stuff like old British rail pins, or even pins of newer trains.
Preferably official pins not knock offs.

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

If you're meaning uniform badges, then, as has been said, e-bay. There's a category collectables - transportation - railwayana - hardware railwayana - badges and emblems, currently with over 4,000 items for sale.

Buyer beware - I'm not all that expert in railway uniforms / badges, but some of the 'engineman cap badges' that came up on the first page look very much like reproductions that were made for sale to enthusiasts, rather than originals (i remember seeing them for sale at preserved railways etc in the past.)

Some e-bay sellers are (at best) not well informed about what they are selling. Very occasionally that means you can find a bargain because the seller doesn't really know how much something is worth and / or doesn't describe it in a way that would come up readily on a search for that precise item, or because they list it in the wrong category. More often it means unrealistic claims are made about an item.

There are a few railwayana auction firms out there who hold auctions a few times a year, but tend more towards the more vintage / high end of the market - and read the small print carefully as there's usually a buyer's premium (which in turn attracts VAT) added on top of the sale price, and you may have to arrange to go and collect something, and they may be fairly inflexible about times and will start charging storage fees if you don't collect within a short time frame after the auction - or you have to pay their preferred courier to pack and deliver it.

Railwed

Thanks all for your replies. I have looked at eBay and as you have mentioned some appear to be reproductions and not the originals.
I’ll take a look and see what I can find.
Thanks again everyone.

Mollington St

Railwed - Not sure where you are in England, but if you can get to Crewe on 22nd June there is the Northwest Rail and Transport Collectors Fair with over 25 different traders , i am aware that a number of them specialize in Railway Badges of all eras , at last years event i recall seeing everything from the original Ian Allan Spotters Club Badges , all sorts of official uniform badges and also a fair number of loco shaped badges both steam and diesel locos styles .
Hope that helps

Railwed

Railwed - Not sure where you are in England, but if you can get to Crewe on 22nd June there is the Northwest Rail and Transport Collectors Fair with over 25 different traders , i am aware that a number of them specialize in Railway Badges of all eras , at last years event i recall seeing everything from the original Ian Allan Spotters Club Badges , all sorts of official uniform badges and also a fair number of loco shaped badges both steam and diesel locos styles .
Hope that helps
Thank you very much for this. This is the sort of thing I was looking for, I’ll do my best to attend. Do they have a website with more information? Thanks.

Mollington St

Railwed - The website ref the Crewe event in June , is www.transportpasttimes.co.uk and then the link to the event and all the info relating to it is at the top of the home page , hope that helps
PS - We need to keep these sort of events going and so please spread the word

Railwed

Railwed - The website ref the Crewe event in June , is www.transportpasttimes.co.uk and then the link to the event and all the info relating to it is at the top of the home page , hope that helps
PS - We need to keep these sort of events going and so please spread the word
Thank you for that. Definitely will share it, I’m sure there’s a lot of people interested but like me they don’t really know where to start.
Thanks to everyone that’s contributed.