• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portishead approved

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
At last there's something. It was pretty much at the point of any decision, for or against, would be welcome, just to stop the waiting!

Now they 'only' need to build it...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That looks to me like planning approval, which is indeed significant.
However, that's not the same as being funded with approval to construct (Treasury/DfT).
I don't think this is the last hurdle.

stuu

Established Member
The letter makes clear that the DfT have approved the funding plan, with various local authorities having to fill the gap in costs. Whether it survives past Thursday is a different matter

tumbles

That looks to me like planning approval, which is indeed significant.
However, that's not the same as being funded with approval to construct (Treasury/DfT).
I don't think this is the last hurdle.

The DCO wasn't approved until the funding is/was in place. The shortfall (35m) was made up between WECA, North Somerset & DfT. Also significantly the DfT became the project lead a while ago meaning they take the hit for further expenditure.

Thursday might be a nervous day however.

Wynd

Great to see this is progressing.

Cancelling it on Thursday would demonstrate HMT knowing yet again the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Brush 4

The BBC report

Finally. ..... I interpret the timing as giving approval before Thursday rather than next April, thus making it harder politically to cancel it.

However, it may well turn out to be the last reopening, if the axe is to fall on spending generally.

Mikey C

Established Member
The BBC report

Finally. ..... I interpret the timing as giving approval before Thursday rather than next April, thus making it harder politically to cancel it.

However, it may well turn out to be the last reopening, if the axe is to fall on spending generally.
Is an hourly service really going to be very transformational?

stuu

Established Member
No, it's been watered down too much. But I suppose improving an existing service should be easier than implementing a new one

Oxfordblues

I've become so cynical about this government that it would be no surprise if Portishead were ditched on Thursday, together with the Ivanhoe Line and the Ely freight project.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Getting the line open in the first place is the key, because then there is a motivation to see it get used and increase revenue. 1tph could be transformational if it gives people a service they're willing to use.

tumbles

It's not ideal but as zwk500 says above just getting it built is the biggest hurdle. Once its open and if it proves successful it will be far easier to open stations at Ashton Gate (muted phase 2) and potentially restoring the double track at Pill to allow half hourly.

You only have to look at the success of the Severn beach line on the opposite side of the river. Very nearly lost it in the 1990s with single bubble car hourly only running to Avonmouth. Now its half hourly service with potential of double tracking it all the way to Clifton Down in near future. It has been a great success story last 5-6 years, the line is thriving.

My understanding of today is that now the full business plan has to be established before a final approval by the SoS in early 2024.. so it might still not see the light of day but i guess if there a GE not far around the corner when its due for approval and Liam Fox's seat looking decidedly dodgy at present.. then it might be perfect timing shall we say

Last edited:

tumbles

What rolling stock would they use? poach a few 165s from other parts of the west?

Yeah pretty sure they'll share the rolling stock with the Severn Beach line which is a few 165/166s and the occasional 158.

There was something about cutting back the platform at Portishead so potentially could only have 4 car trains..

Established Member
It's not ideal but as zwk500 says above just getting it built is the biggest hurdle. Once its open and if it proves successful it will be far easier to open stations at Ashton Gate (muted phase 2) and potentially restoring the double track at Pill to allow half hourly.

You only have to look at the success of the Severn beach line on the opposite side of the river. Very nearly lost it in the 1990s with single bubble car hourly only running to Avonmouth. Now its half hourly service with potential of double tracking it all the way to Clifton Down in near future. It has been a great success story last 5-6 years, the line is thriving.

My understanding of today is that now the full business plan has to be established before a final approval by the SoS in early 2024.. so it might still not see the light of day but i guess if there a GE not far around the corner when its due for approval and Liam Fox's seat looking decidedly dodgy at present.. then it might be perfect timing shall we say
This is the first time I’ve ever seen it mentioned that Ashton Gate station is actually proposed to be reopened as Phase 2. Given that this is the home of Bristol City FC, such a station is likely to be incredibly busy on match days with the right service provision.

I’m sure the line has to be redoubled from Pill to Parson Street to allow the passenger service to run in addition to existing freight from the docks.

stuu

Established Member
No, this is all the approval that is needed on the planning side. There is a full funding plan in place, so they can let the contracts now, if they haven't already got contractors on board.

Of course the government can pull the funding, but there is nothing more legally that needs to be done to get digging

fgwrich

Established Member
This is the first time I’ve ever seen it mentioned that Ashton Gate station is actually proposed to be reopened as Phase 2. Given that this is the home of Bristol City FC, such a station is likely to be incredibly busy on match days with the right service provision.

I’m sure the line has to be redoubled from Pill to Parson Street to allow the passenger service to run in addition to existing freight from the docks.
And Bristol Bears (still find that rebrand awful!)RFC too! In fact, Quite a lot of top flight rugby is played there including the European Champions Cup final. It is also an area where a lot of Development is due to happen in the near distant future too, with the Ashton Gate Sports Quarter + New housing all proposed (levelling Wicks & a few other retail places in the process). Not being from Bristol, I was amazed how far out from Temple Meads it actually is so a station there cant come soon enough!

Established Member
And Bristol Bears (still find that rebrand awful!)RFC too! In fact, Quite a lot of top flight rugby is played there including the European Champions Cup final. It is also an area where a lot of Development is due to happen in the near distant future too, with the Ashton Gate Sports Quarter + New housing all proposed (levelling Wicks & a few other retail places in the process). Not being from Bristol, I was amazed how far out from Temple Meads it actually is so a station there cant come soon enough!
The point is that there was always one there as well as at Portishead until the line closed!

MontyP

They'll probably build the station and then close it on match days as the hourly 2-car trains will be insufficient to deal with the crowds