• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved locos/stock hired back to mainline use?

sprinterguy

Established Member
I can't remember either, but I understood that the coaches that were used had been privately owned for some time, dating back to before the formation of 'Riviera Trains'. Maybe V.T. sort of emerged from a preservation group? It was certainly the case that, if they had been bought at the time they would have been restricted from commercial main line use. Wish I had noted some numbers - their history will be on the Vintage Carriages Trust preserved coaching stock website
The latter day formations of North Wales Coast trains are listed on this page, including the Riviera Trains vehicles:

The chocolate and cream Riviera mark 1s used were:
TSOs - 4902, 5025, 5029, 5030 (All former Intercity charter stock)
FK - 13227 (Former Regional Railways North West vehicle)
BSK - 35453 (Former Regional Railways Central vehicle)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did it not burst hauling something near bristol after a refurb resulting in being taken out of service again

Yes I think it did, I can’t remember the details though.

Harvester

Established Member
D1015 has the distinction of rescuing a failed HST in 2002, assisting it between Dauntsey and Swindon!

Flying Snail

Established Member
Were 86101/86401/86213/87002 ever really preserved?

The relationship between ACLG and the commercial company ETL was always very unclear (even to signed-up but not inner circle ACLG members) but everything about the way these 4 were handled looks like commercial for profit activity not preservation, that they subsequently sold them all to commercial operations confirms this.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The relationship between ACLG and the commercial company ETL was always very unclear (even to signed-up but not inner circle ACLG members) but everything about the way these 4 were handled looks like commercial for profit activity not preservation, that they subsequently sold them all to commercial operations confirms this.

Plenty of locos have been sold from preservation to commercial main line operators.

74A

One year after T4 on the beach at Weston Super Mare the Torbay express took 150 passengers back to Bristol !

Taunton

Established Member
I can actually remember seeing it coming under the footbridge west of Taunton station, on the Up Main, in what was probably summer 1963 or 64. D1015 had a unique 'Golden Ochre' livery then, so was instantly recognisable. 60 years ago ...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s BR “Chromatic Blue”.

It’s really not. I’ve seen it in the flesh (including being coupled to the blue D1062) and it’s just standard BR blue. At some point in the future it’ll be ‘modernised’ with full yellow ends just as they did when it was in maroon a few years ago.

I’m fairly certain they won’t be repainting the whole loco just for that.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It’s really not. I’ve seen it in the flesh (including being coupled to the blue D1062) and it’s just standard BR blue. At some point in the future it’ll be ‘modernised’ with full yellow ends just as they did when it was in maroon a few years ago.

I’m fairly certain they won’t be repainting the whole loco just for that.
Is it sacrilegious that I'd love to see it in IC Swallow and numbered as 52015? ;)

xotGD

Established Member
Is it sacrilegious that I'd love to see it in IC Swallow and numbered as 52015? ;)
Very sacrilegious. It should be in large logo blue and numbered 52115 (renumbered post mid-life crisis just like the 91s)

On Moderation
Or fit it with ETH and renumber it 52415.
It would have been 52115. Just like the ETH Peaks were 451xx.

It was just coincidence (based on numbers) that the ETH versions of 31, 37 and 47 were all /4 sub-classes.

xotGD

Established Member
Of course, 50149 was the freight conversion, so perhaps 52115 could be in triple grey?

fgwrich

Established Member
Were 86101/86401/86213/87002 ever really preserved?

Yes, I did wonder too. I was rather disappointed to join the AC Loco group not to really ever hear anything from them, let alone to suddenly see a mass exodus of Locos to LSL & WCRC too. Compared to other groups like the 125 Group, AC loco group left a lot to be desired.

D365

Veteran Member
DRS briefly owned 55016 as well, a few years after Porterbrook, although it never operated for them before being resold.
But, why? A single example of a very complicated and not simple to maintain locomotive instead of something more standard? I'm curious as to the commercial motives/thinking as it's seems anachronistic.
Perhaps DRS thought that they could salvage spare parts from their Class 37s…

ExRes

Established Member
A bit of news on midlands railgen this evening regarding Class 50 Alliance locos 50007 & 50049, it seems that after the 'Mazey Day Cornishman' tour in June they will be losing their GBRf liveries for BR large logo blue

Strathclyder

Established Member
A bit of news on midlands railgen this evening regarding Class 50 Alliance locos 50007 & 50049, it seems that after the 'Mazey Day Cornishman' tour in June they will be losing their GBRf liveries for BR large logo blue
This actually reminds me of how mistaken I ended up being about them going into GBRf livery in the first place; very much a 'eat my hat' moment!

Class15

On Moderation
Why is Large Logo so popular? Wouldn’t it make more sense to give at least one of them the more common and well-remembered BR blue?