• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail line Brechin - Montrose?

KrisKorlado

Hello everyone.
I read a thread here about the line from Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow some time ago. It was very cool.

I live in Montrose and read some time ago that the Brechin - Bridge of Dun Tourist Line was applying for money from the Equalization Fund to extend the tourist line to Montrose. They tried twice and were refused twice.

I don't know the details, I haven't been able to find this information again.

I wonder if, apart from its tourist value, could such a line also be used commercially to connect the inhabitants of Brechin with the rest of the country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

Sadly this seems unlikely to be commercially viable. Compared with most reopening schemes, the populations are quite small, and the main centre for the region is Dundee, in a very different direction. Forum member Altnabreac has formulated 5 golden rules for a successful rail reopening:
  • Population of 10,000+ {I think Brechin is quite a bit smaller than that}
  • 60 minutes (75 at a push) journey time of a major employment centre. {and of course many people work some distance from the station in that major employment centre, adding substantially to travel time}
  • Extant or mainly unobstructed trackbed {probably not a big issue}
  • Ability to extend an existing service so more terminal capacity is not required. {diverting Montrose terminators may not be welcome}
  • Regeneration potential of a deprived area {not really an issue}
Perhaps you could apply these principles and your local knowledge to the issue, and come back on here with your thoughts?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sadly this seems unlikely to be commercially viable. Compared with most reopening schemes, the populations are quite small, and the main centre for the region is Dundee, in a very different direction. Forum member Altnabreac has formulated 5 golden rules for a successful rail reopening:
  • Population of 10,000+ {I think Brechin is quite a bit smaller than that}
  • 60 minutes (75 at a push) journey time of a major employment centre. {and of course many people work some distance from the station in that major employment centre, adding substantially to travel time}
  • Extant or mainly unobstructed trackbed {probably not a big issue}
  • Ability to extend an existing service so more terminal capacity is not required. {diverting Montrose terminators may not be welcome}
  • Regeneration potential of a deprived area {not really an issue}
Perhaps you could apply these principles and your local knowledge to the issue, and come back on here with your thoughts?
I'd perhaps disagree with this. Some of these criteria are a little subjective and others depend what you class as the major centre for the region. While they may be classed as Angus, Brechin and Montrose are in the orbit of both Dundee and Aberdeen.

If you consider Aberdeen the regional centre, and note the current slower trains (currently terminating at Montrose) take just under 50 minutes to travel from Aberdeen down to Montrose, roughly 60 minutes to Brechin seems plausible. The downside is relatively few services on the Inverurie - Montrose route mean you'd not really have a good service at Brechin. It also looks like the connection faces the wrong way which means trains would either have to reverse at Montrose (not ideal on quite a busy line) or avoid Montrose altogether (probably even less ideal as it's a fairly significant town).

I'd also disagree with you about deprivation. Eastern Brechin, which is near the station, is quite deprived. Generally these sorts of rural small towns do better on deprivation indices than they "should" - it would be difficult to call Brechin an affluent town. The railway could also unlock population expansion - at the moment Brechin is a little short of the 10,000 population threshold (at about 7,000) but it looks to have a fair amount of room to grow.

The practicalities of running on a current heritage line may be insurmountable, and the fact the line looks to be to the north of Montrose makes an Aberdeen connection trickier, but on paper I don't think it's a terrible idea.

KrisKorlado

Thank you very much for your answer. How to get more in-depth analysis? Who deals with such things professionally?
There is a program called "Equalization", I wonder if such a line would be included in this program.

Veteran Member
Thank you very much for your answer. How to get more in-depth analysis? Who deals with such things professionally?
There is a program called "Equalization", I wonder if such a line would be included in this program.
If you mean the UK Government's "Levelling Up" (or "Restoring Your Railway" - did that cover Scotland), the first stage would be for it to be accepted for futher investigation, which would result in modest funding to allow proper investigation.