• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reminder letter but no original letter - help

Hello. So my son boarded a (late) train back in April without a ticket...there was a reason for this which I was hoping to explain in appeal after chatting with lady in customer services. As the train was being delayed further and further I was on standby to grab him and change plans as he had a cut off time for an appointment. Once we knew it was coming in good enough time we tried to purchase the ticket but it wouldn't allow it online. He asked the onboard ticket man if he could purchase one and he refused and issued him with a fine.

Well a letter finally arrived today stating I had not appealed and sets charge at £112

I HAVE NOT received the initial letter serving the fine at all. We don't get postal issues as a rule around here, so I have no idea why I haven't received it. Trouble is I now can't appeal and the charge is full.

Help me. I've emailed the prosecution team which customer services said to, but this is now weighing heavy on me so I'm after advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hello. So my son boarded a (late) train back in April without a ticket...there was a reason for this which I was hoping to explain in appeal after chatting with lady in customer services. As the train was being delayed further and further I was on standby to grab him and change plans as he had a cut off time for an appointment. Once we knew it was coming in good enough time we tried to purchase the ticket but it wouldn't allow it online. He asked the onboard ticket man if he could purchase one and he refused and issued him with a fine.

Well a letter finally arrived today stating I had not appealed and sets charge at £112

I HAVE NOT received the initial letter serving the fine at all. We don't get postal issues as a rule around here, so I have no idea why I haven't received it. Trouble is I now can't appeal and the charge is full.

Help me. I've emailed the prosecution team which customer services said to, but this is now weighing heavy on me so I'm after advice.
Welcome.

From what you’ve said here I think your son was probably issued with a penalty fare onboard - (assuming the fare required was £12)?

I don’t believe you would have then received an ”initial letter” as well. The penalty fare paperwork issued by the revenue staff is all you normally get. Did that paperwork not mention how to pay, the £50 discount for prompt payment, and how to appeal?

Lucy1501

Others will be able to advise you on how to go about solving the fine, but for future reference:
  • If a train is delayed, or any disruption happens at all, and you no longer want to take it, you can refund the ticket free of charge.
  • If it's a flexible ticket, you can travel on any service (subject to the ticket's restrictions). Most ticketing apps are based on a "journey planner" system and require you to select a service, but that doesn't mean you have to take it (unless it was an advance ticket). So even if you picked a later service online, it would still have been valid.

Thank you for replying, but no, he said to my son he would get a letter in the post, he wasn't handed anything. The fact he's 17 and not an adult maybe?

This was with GWR

Others will be able to advise you on how to go about solving the fine, but for future reference:
  • If a train is delayed, or any disruption happens at all, and you no longer want to take it, you can refund the ticket free of charge.
  • If it's a flexible ticket, you can travel on any service (subject to the ticket's restrictions). Most ticketing apps are based on a "journey planner" system and require you to select a service, but that doesn't mean you have to take it (unless it was an advance ticket). So even if you picked a later service online, it would still have been valid.
Thank you Lucy, in the past I've only ever got a partial refund so that was why I didn't buy a ticket before hand as they are delayed so often and it costs me money. I'm not sure I've noticed flexible tickets, I will take a look...but in this instance we wouldn't have needed another ticket that day.
The issue was online obviously stopped selling tickets once the original arrival time had gone by, caught us out.
I was half expecting to pay the reduced fee, but thought I'd appeal as it was an innocent mistake. But I haven't appealed as I received no details on the fine itself, only a final reminder letter ☹️

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
17, but he's undiagnosed nuerodivergent I'm starting to worry they have him something and he forgot or lost it because he doesn't think the way you or I may do ‍♀️
If you can.post a redacted copy of the letter on here it will be easier for us to advise you.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm afraid your son was issued with a Penalty Fare Notice* and it is now out of time for an appeal or for paying the reduced amount. Therefore £112 is payable. In the event of it not being paid GWR prosecute your son.

*He will have been issued with a copy of the notice at the time, which would explain the timescales for an appeal or payment of a reduced smount of £62.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Given that there is a ticket machine at Castle Cary, I doubt any appeal would be accepted on the basis of the explanation given, as regardless of the inability to buy a ticket online, ticket issuing facilities were available at the station, even if the ticket office was closed.

Pushpit

The one thing you don't want is a criminal prosecution (though it is now a civil case), since on the face of it he is guilty of travelling without a ticket. So personally I think you should pay the £112 straight away, to stop that from happening, then use the email address in the letter to see if you can get GWR to refund some or all of it based on the circumstances. That said, I can't see a strong case for not paying a fare here, the hassle of getting refunds is of nothing compared to the hassle this can cause. If he has not had a diagnosis of neuro-divergency then it's probably worth getting that done, since it can open doors to treatment and care options.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The one thing you don't want is a criminal prosecution (though it is now a civil case),
The PF could be withdrawn and a criminal case brought. There is no bar to this as no appeal has been raised.

Given that there is a ticket machine at Castle Cary, I doubt any appeal would be accepted on the basis of the explanation given, as regardless of the inability to buy a ticket online, ticket issuing facilities were available at the station, even if the ticket office was closed.
The one thing you don't want is a criminal prosecution (though it is now a civil case), since on the face of it he is guilty of travelling without a ticket. So personally I think you should pay the £112 straight away, to stop that from happening, then use the email address in the letter to see if you can get GWR to refund some or all of it based on the circumstances. That said, I can't see a strong case for not paying a fare here, the hassle of getting refunds is of nothing compared to the hassle this can cause. If he has not had a diagnosis of neuro-divergency then it's probably worth getting that done, since it can open doors to treatment and care options.
Thank you. I think I will pay it now I am suspecting he was issued something on the train, which I was originally unaware of. He is in the process of starting the ASD referral at college.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The one thing you don't want is a criminal prosecution (though it is now a civil case), since on the face of it he is guilty of travelling without a ticket. So personally I think you should pay the £112 straight away, to stop that from happening, then use the email address in the letter to see if you can get GWR to refund some or all of it based on the circumstances. That said, I can't see a strong case for not paying a fare here, the hassle of getting refunds is of nothing compared to the hassle this can cause.
I think this is good advice in the circs.

It seems to me the OP was misled by whoever they spoke to on the phone at Customer Services (or that person misunderstood what the OP was trying to explain to them and then gave the wrong answer). This would be the basis on trying to obtain a partial refund of the Penalty Fare that the OP thought they were going to be able to Appeal but were awaiting a letter that would never have been issued in any case if I have this right.

If the fine was issued on board there must have been paperwork issued to the son (or at least offered to the son) which would have explained how to Appeal the Penalty Fare without any need to contact Customer Services - which is where the confusion seems to have arised.

An Appeal based on the OP's reason would not in my view have been accepted as a valid appeal in any case (as the reason given does not sound like a valid reason to appeal as would be laid down in the Penalty Fare regulations - sadly appeals 'to their better nature' as it were - are not considered to be valid appeals as far as I know).

OBv this is not the news the OP is looking for, and they have my sympathy over the situation.

Thank you for replying, but no, he said to my son he would get a letter in the post, he wasn't handed anything. The fact he's 17 and not an adult maybe?

This was with GWR

Thank you Lucy, in the past I've only ever got a partial refund so that was why I didn't buy a ticket before hand as they are delayed so often and it costs me money. I'm not sure I've noticed flexible tickets, I will take a look...but in this instance we wouldn't have needed another ticket that day.
The issue was online obviously stopped selling tickets once the original arrival time had gone by, caught us out.
I was half expecting to pay the reduced fee, but thought I'd appeal as it was an innocent mistake. But I haven't appealed as I received no details on the fine itself, only a final reminder letter ☹️
Also if you have only had partial refunds in the past when full refunds are due then for future ref this forum could help with that if it were needed. A full refund is due if you opt not to travel due to a delayed or cancelled train. If a train is delayed and you do still travel it is a delay-repay claim that is needed, not a refund. Only severe delays would result in a delay payment equivalent to the ticket’s full cost (apols if I’ve not explained that very well but hope it gives you an idea).

Last edited: