• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail selection interview, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohy1

Hi guys, i am currently in the middle of the application process to become a trainee driver with scotrail, i have completed all the written tests and structured interview and now i just have the "selection interview" and a medical.

i have no previous experiance in the rail industry, i really just need a few hints and tips from people going through or have been through this process.
what are they looking for in this interview, the hr lady at the last interview said an indepth knowlage of the compny will help, but thats all she could say.

i have to write a passage on:

what quallities should the ideal driver have?

what are the main responsibillities of a driver?

what quallities do i feel i can bring to the role?

i have to take this to the interview.

i would really like to have some input on reasons mto become a driver?
i know 30k plus is a good reason but what points are they looking for me to touch on?

thank you very much in advance for any help you can give, neil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chuckles

Hi Neil - can't really help you with the question but I am at the same stage i.e the selection interview so i'm keen to see what the responses will be!!!
I too, am struggling with gathering information on the company but I guess the more you find out the better. Think it is a good idea to pop into the station you have applied to and try to have a chat with some of the staff.

Last edited:

Coxster

Established Member
I'd have thought you couldn't go far wrong talking about the importance of punctuality, acting/thinking calmly under pressure, and putting an obvious emphasis on safety first etc. When things are going okay it's probably quite a mundane task driving trains, so talking about how good concentration skills and always being alert might be worth a mention to? Maybe also worth talking about being able to think through things methodically and by the rules.

I'm sure one of the forum's drivers will no doubt be able to give you a proper answer :)

driver9000

Established Member
Safety goes first and foremost. as a driver its your number 1 priority. I cant think of too much to put on the forms as its been a few years since I last had to fill one in!
You should be able to concentrate for long periods, be able to work alone and unsupervised.
A driver is responsible for:
The safe working of the train
Preparing/disposing of trains
Carrying out emergency protection of the line when required

Check out this website for a handy insight into the job, written by a driver.

http://www.railwayregister.care4free.net/becoming_a_train_driver.htm#WHAT TRAIN DRIVING INVOLVES

sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck!!

chuckles

Hi guys, i am currently in the middle of the application process to become a trainee driver with scotrail, i have completed all the written tests and structured interview and now i just have the "selection interview" and a medical.

i have no previous experiance in the rail industry, i really just need a few hints and tips from people going through or have been through this process.
what are they looking for in this interview, the hr lady at the last interview said an indepth knowlage of the compny will help, but thats all she could say.

i know 30k plus is a good reason but what points are they looking for me to touch on?

How did you get on??

delt1c

Established Member
May not be reply you wanted, but companies are interested in you, for your application try looking at the questions from the other side , that is the company and the customer , then Tailor your response to meet the needs of both. What would you look for as an employer, and what would you want as a passenger.
Whilst some on here could provide you with excellent answers for the written questions , you have to be able to substantiate your application .
I have been involved on several recruitment interviews (not rail) where the applicants have provided excellent written applications but when interviewed been unable to explain the submissions.

TDK

Established Member

You really need to do this yourself and not rely on other peoples idea as you may get tied up in your strutured interview. I have interviewed a lot potential drivers and can tell right away if they have used other peoples ideas. Just do your own thing. They are looking for your views and if you you put accurately the drivers role with no railway experience it is quite obvious it's not your own material.

bohy1

hi guys thanks for all your help, i was not on here to simple copy and paste peoples answers doing this is a sure fire way to get stumped in an interview i you cant go into any depth in you answer. i was simply looking for a few pointers in the right direction as i would far rather give my own answers where i could explane my self.

for those of you who wanted to know how i got on:

well the day before my grampa who i was very close to passed away and i had to cancel the interview, and after much chasing with the people at the scotrail HR dept, i was told that they would not be conducting anymore interviews for several months!! i was completed gutted, but the next day i recived a letter from the stating i had an interview this coming thursday which is amazing, i will keep you up to date how i get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.