• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat reservation for coach E on 14:19 Liverpool to Cleethorpes

northwichcat

Veteran Member
RTT consistently shows this service running as 3 carriages. Yet I've been issued a seat reservation for carriage E. Has something gone wrong? Or is perhaps the unit split from a 6 car formation earlier in the day and it has coaches D, E, F?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
RTT consistently shows this service running as 3 carriages. Yet I've been issued a seat reservation for carriage E. Has something gone wrong? Or is perhaps the unit split from a 6 car formation earlier in the day and it has coaches D, E, F?
185s are A, B, C or E, F, G. No D.

But yes, I suspect a unit split earlier in the diagram - hence E on a 3-car.

It's the DMS vehicle anyway.

louis97

Established Member
On a 185, reservations are A, B and C going Westbound, E, F and G going Eastbound. So a reservation in Coach E isn't an indication that the train is booked a 6 car.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On a 185, reservations are A, B and C going Westbound, E, F and G going Eastbound. So a reservation in Coach E isn't an indication that the train is booked a 6 car.
That's quite interesting, I wasn't aware they did them directionally.

But it fits with a single 185 I observed at Liverpool Lime Street, bound for Doncaster, labelled - E, F and G.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Thanks. That's unusual. Could it relate to ensuring seat reservations are never in a carriage that isn't usable at short platforms whether or not the service is a pair of units or not?

louis97

Established Member
Thanks. That's unusual. Could it relate to ensuring seat reservations are never in a carriage that isn't usable at short platforms whether or not the service is a pair of units or not?
Pretty much, on a 6 car the coach letters don't change, so basically reservations are always in the front set in the direction of travel. Obviously on a 3-car you need to swap the letters.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
That would presumably also mean that at the origin the unreserved coaches are nearest the buffer stops. Quite a neat solution all round really.