• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrewsbury to Birmingham electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
(Mods I was tempted to put this in speculation but -----)

Rail Technology Magazine says that a strategic Outline business case for Shrewsbury to Birmingham electrification will go before the SoS this summer.

Transport Minister Wendy Morton has addressed proposals to electrify the railway line between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury, hoping that a study on the costs and benefits of the scheme would be ready by the summer. Shrewsbury and Atcham MP Daniel Kawczynski, addressed the scheme and asked Mrs Morton if the scheme would be delivered in the current parliament. Morton would respond to this with claims that Midlands Connect, the regional transport body, would be compiling a list of proposals with the ambition to improve journey times between Birmingham and Shrewsbury.

Morton’s words were: "When completed, the outputs of this work will be presented in a strategic outline business case, which I hope to receive this summer,"
"The business case will provide an assessment of delivery timescales, costs, and benefits of the scheme, and the department will make a formal assessment of the proposals upon receipt of the business case."

One of the key benefits involved in a scheme like this, is the environmental impact and aid in the ongoing fight to achieve carbon net zero in rail by 2035, as outline in the Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail. The industry already represents the greenest form of public transport that exists within the UK and the continued electrification of rail lines across the country is a major contributing factor to the sustainability within the industry.

Mr Kawczynski echoed this sentiment as he pressed Andrew Stephenson, the Minister of State at the Department for Transport, on this topic: "I have certainly promised the young electorate in Shrewsbury to campaign to reduce CO2 emissions,"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
No chance, note the bit about journey times, that doesn't mean wires. Snow Hill lines would deliver so much more.

snowball

Established Member
Unless I've read that report too quickly, it fails to make clear who commissioned the study.

zwk500

Veteran Member
To pick out a few key lines (my bold):
Midlands Connect ... would be compiling a list of proposals with the ambition to improve journey times between Birmingham and Shrewsbury.
As noted by The Planner, doesn't mean wires.

"When completed, the outputs of this work will be presented in a strategic outline business case, which I hope to receive this summer,"
"The business case will provide an assessment of delivery timescales, costs, and benefits of the scheme, and the department will make a formal assessment of the proposals upon receipt of the business case."
This suggests that Midlands Connect are putting together a business case. This doesn't always produce a positive BCR at the end of the process.

Mr Kawczynski echoed this sentiment as he pressed Andrew Stephenson, the Minister of State at the Department for Transport, on this topic:
"I have certainly promised the young electorate in Shrewsbury to campaign to reduce CO2 emissions,"
"We are working very hard to secure the electrification of the line between Shrewsbury and our regional capital of Birmingham."
This suggests that Mr Kawczynski's judgement is that he is only required to be seen to be doing something, not to actually achieve anything.

"It is very important that Shrewsbury is served by trains that are not diesel and we are reducing CO2 emissions."
This also doesn't have to mean wires - Hydrogen or Battery would certainly fit the bill. Bi-Modes might be harder to pass off.

tomuk

Established Member

kevconnor

With the recent bad press for expense claims, bullying allegations, historic public support for Russia and comments regarding Ukrainians fleeing the war MP Daniel Kawczynski has been on somewhat of a charm offensive in recent months hanging his handbag on any street corner where he thinks there may be the chance of being associated with good news in the local area. I would guess he thinks he is vulnerable at the next election and is using any chance he can for parish pump politics.

Class 170101

Established Member
But even if you wired it surely only West Midlands Railway would use the wires for upto a half hourly service as TfW won't be using Bi-modes on this service? Or am I incorrect?

EDIT if they were then that would be a lot of trains using the wires which would probably help the business case.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When there are further details regarding the plans, please report this post with a draft of what you'd like to say and we will look at reopening the thread.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to make any suggestions/proposals, feel free to create a thread in the Speculative Discussion section :)

Status
Not open for further replies.