• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek2008

Good Afternoon Lads & Lasses
First Post

I have just applied for a job on a TOC working as a shunter.
Five years ago, I took tests and passed them and become a driver for London Underground.
The tests involved were dots on the screen, sound and vision on a computer with a keyboard and headphones and a paper test with fault diagnosis. This test involved following a sequence to find what part didn't work in a chain.
I hope this makes sense.
All I want to ask guys is are the tests for a Shunter on National Rail similar?
If the tests are similar it wiould be a bonus as I still have my practice materials.
If anyone reads this who is employed as a Shunter, please get in touch.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Yes, the psycometric tests are very similar but it depends on which test centre you attend as Ive heard of people doing slightly different tests to the one I did. The Group Bourdon (dots) is being phased out being replaced by SCAAT which is looknig for shapes or groups of shapes on a screen, but is still in use at the moment - I think CCL Crewe have moved on to SCAAT though.

GB

Established Member
Is it a shunter driver you have applied for or just a shunter? If its the former then the test will be the same as a mainline driver.

If its the latter then you wont be physicly controling trains. You will be the man on the ground telling the driver what to do. For this, pyschometric testing isnt usually done.

Shrek2008

Guys,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond.
In answer to you, GB, I have no idea if it is controlling yard shunters or is just ground based. This is how their advert reads....

"Responsible for carrying out Engineering Movements and activities, delivering Engineering plans, strategies and target maintenance activities. To work as an FO1 as required.

- Engineering Movements: Couple/Uncouple vehicles, Shunt vehicles, Prepare Vehicles, Panel Control.

- Engineering: Establish condition by inspection, Contribute to preparation for maintenance, Contribute to removal/dismantle of items, Contribute to disposal of components, Contribute to refitting of components.

- Cleaning: Depot Environment .

- Responsible for ensuring all vehicles moved safely and efficiently, to ensure depot activities supported and plans implemented"

Sounds a bit of everything to me.

Are depot workers regulated as much as drivers?
I.E 35 hour week, earlies, mids, lates and nights?

Thanks again.
Your comments do help.

GB

Established Member
As it involves controlling a signalling panel I imagine there will be an element of psychometrics involved.

Knowing TOCs that probably is the case. One of the GBRf blokes at Ferme Park also operates a panel (I think) but does not have to do the psychometric test so who knows.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes

Bush

Guys,

"Responsible for carrying out Engineering Movements and activities, delivering Engineering plans, strategies and target maintenance activities. To work as an FO1 as required.

- Engineering Movements: Couple/Uncouple vehicles, Shunt vehicles, Prepare Vehicles, Panel Control.

- Engineering: Establish condition by inspection, Contribute to preparation for maintenance, Contribute to removal/dismantle of items, Contribute to disposal of components, Contribute to refitting of components.

- Cleaning: Depot Environment .

- Responsible for ensuring all vehicles moved safely and efficiently, to ensure depot activities supported and plans implemented"

Sounds a bit of everything to me.

Thanks again.
Your comments do help.

Ahh, that "Act as a FO1 as required" sounds familiar! That means you'll be an FO2 "Shunter".
That means you'll be a ground shunter, i.e pulling points, setting roads, radioing in to the panel ensuring what trains are incoming / outgoing, and telling drivers what vehicles to move where.
Regarding Maintenance, you may be putting out the Brake Blocks for the Fitters to block. Scotching the vehicles and putting the stop board on them (basically making them safe for maintenance) Collecting the old blocks for the skip. Now and then acting as a "Mate" as well. Also fueling the trains and Watering if no FO1's are around.
Depot cleaning is usually the job of an FO1, but now and then you may have to act as one, if one is booked off / sick.

The FO2's at our depot are nice gents / girls. Im sure you'll enjoy it as well, may I enquire what depot you'll be at? PM me if you want.

Shrek2008

Bush,

Many thanks for your insight into the job.
It is based at St Philips Marsh in Bristol for First Great Western.
I have recently found out that it is permamnent nights and a whole load of applicants have applied for it.
In this current climate I can't say that I am surprised by that.
If that many have applied I may be ruled out straight away because of the distance I live from the depot. (50 miles).
But hey, stranger things happen these days.
I will keep plugging away.
I downloaded and printed of the Shunter rule book and a lot of it is similar to the procedures on LUL.
Thankyou to everyone who has replied to my original post.
Steve.

Bush

Ahh right your applying for the Marsh, you can put Prepping HST's onto that list of duties as well then! <D

Nights are a lot more busier with far more minor service exams and shunting getting the service ready for AM goes on and with a big depot like SPM not suprised at the Permanent Nights, Days are generally the heavier Exams and not a lot of movements.

50 miles is a long way, and if you think about thats a 100 mile round trip, after a nightshift, that'd be a lot!! If you get the job I'd recommend moving within a 20 mile radius of the Depot for your own sanity! hehe.

Anyway, I wish you the very best! Good luck! :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Almost applied for that job a the Marsh myself, but thought about the 30 old mile drive home at stupid o clock and decided against it.

Shrek2008

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have finally received a reply from FGW and have been invited along for an interview.
Can anyone tell me what the interview involves?
Do they incorperate the assessments with it?
The recruitment process on LUL was a long, drwn out affair.
It went something like.....
Assessment
Interview
Medical
Final Interview
Criminal Record Check
The whole thing took up to 3 months.
Are overground TOCs the same?
Thanks.
Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.