• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single justice procedure notice received

bluecondition

I was travelling on a journey from Gatwick to Brighton in January this year, for some reason my phone signs me out of my apps regularly, and I wasn’t able to sign back in to show the inspector my ticket as I didn’t have signal, so he gave me a fine. He said if I uploaded my ticket within 14 days (I think) then it will be fine.

I did this, but they said needed my barcode, so I replied to the email with it, not knowing that I needed to redo the evidence form as the person who replied to the email wasn't clear about that fact.

I didn’t receive any response to this as I thought it had been accepted. I moved out of my property a few months ago and received a message from my old flatmate a couple of days ago saying that I’ve received a single justice procedure notice and I have 21 days to respond before it’s taken further. Obviously I haven’t received any letters from them, otherwise I would have sorted this instantly.

My question is, what do I do here? First time anything like this has happened to me, so I’m kinda stumped. Obviously I have an excuse for not receiving any letters prior and he fact I did technically send them my ticket almost instantly, can I contact GTR or is it now too late?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spyinthesky

I think the forum experts will be along shortly and will need some more information to best help you.
1. If you received a Fine then this would be a Penalty Fare- Did you pay the fine?
2. Have you appealed the fine?
3. Please upload a copy of the SJPN with any personal information redacted.

island

Veteran Member
Please can you upload a copy of the paperwork you received on the train, the reply you sent as well as the SJPN. Block out any personal identifying information.

bluecondition

I think the forum experts will be along shortly and will need some more information to best help you.
1. If you received a Fine then this would be a Penalty Fare- Did you pay the fine?
2. Have you appealed the fine?
3. Please upload a copy of the SJPN with any personal information redacted.
1. No I haven’t paid the fine
2. No I haven’t appealed it

Please can you upload a copy of the paperwork you received on the train, the reply you sent as well as the SJPN. Block out any personal identifying information.

Attachments

• 9BFF1A5E-322B-4287-9F36-AFF5B872BF9B.jpeg
    9BFF1A5E-322B-4287-9F36-AFF5B872BF9B.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 9BFF1A5E-322B-4287-9F36-AFF5B872BF9B.jpeg
    9BFF1A5E-322B-4287-9F36-AFF5B872BF9B.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 70

bluecondition

Not necessarily, we would need to see what was issued.
I honestly can’t remember now. I wasn’t able to show him my ticket; so I’m guessing it would’ve been a fine? He gave me a ticket which had all the information on, which I discarded, it also had a ticket for me to use to get through in Brighton. I’m sorry I can’t give you any more information on this

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suggest you contact GTR Prosecutions office urgently and explain what has happened.

Ask them if they will allow you to pay a settlement in return for withdrawing the court action.

bluecondition

I suggest you contact GTR Prosecutions office urgently and explain what has happened.

Ask them if they will allow you to pay a settlement in return for withdrawing the court action.
Is there a free phone number where I can speak to someone?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is there a free phone number where I can speak to someone?
No there isn’t. I’m not sure there’s a publicised phone number but there is an email address if you search threads on this forum.

Titfield

Established Member
From an old thread (2022)

The phone numbers for GTR are: 0330 095 6050/0330 095 6051.

Quoted from both the Thameslink and Southern Railway websites (will also include Gatwick Express and Great Northern)

If your query is relating to an “Intention to Prosecute letter” we would ask that this is completed and returned to us for consideration.

All matters of appeal should be made in writing to:

Prosecutions Department
Eastside Offices
King’s Cross Railway Station
LONDON
N1C 4AX

If your query is regarding anything else please contact us via email [email protected] – This mailbox cannot be used to appeal, you will be written to in due course and the response should be made out to the address above. Any appeal sent to the above address will be disregarded and deleted.

spyinthesky

My question is, what do I do here? First time anything like this has happened to me so I’m kinda stumped.
It can be quite understandable that you may not like some of the answers, but unless you can provide the information asked then the advice is limited.
It seems that so far you have not done what was required correctly to GTR and is heading towards prosecution.
Believe it or not there are many experts on this forum that can and will point you in the right direction to the best outcome possible. This might not be what you want but it is becoming less of a choice as time ticks by.