• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Region newspaper trains 1950s/60s

Taunton

Established Member
I did understand that MLVs were not normally favoured on their own as a single electric car, due to the possibility (possibly experience) of gapping. Were there certain areas they were not permitted in this manner? Their most common usage seemed added to the London end of a 12-CEP formation on the boat trains, where this was not an issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

I did understand that MLVs were not normally favoured on their own as a single electric car, due to the possibility (possibly experience) of gapping. Were there certain areas they were not permitted in this manner? Their most common usage seemed added to the London end of a 12-CEP formation on the boat trains, where this was not an issue.
My main memory of them was at the head of SED 12 Cep formations as a rule, but one odd working I did note when on duty, was on 10th October '78, when just after noon we despatched 68003 from Clapham Yard down the SW main slow line towards Earlsfield and beyond, hauling ex SR departmental van DS975144 (former BY van S 964). No other details afraid.

Rescars

Established Member
You may well be right, but of all vehicles, a MLV seems particularly well suited to overcoming a gapping problem - provided its batteries were charged of course!

Gloster

Established Member
Were the MLVs ever considered for passenger use?

I would very much doubt it as they were the answer to a specific problem: getting luggage right to the channel ferries. The batteries could only really supply power for long enough to do that or go in and out of non-electrified sidings to deal with vans.

Big Jumby 74

The batteries could only really supply power for long enough to do that or go in and out of non-electrified sidings to deal with vans.
Not to mention if any MLV was berthed within a traction (3rd rail) isolated possession for any period, and the last driver to take their key out had forgotten to isolate the batteries!

LBMPSB

Were MLVs much involved in this?
I remember there being workings for MLVs to run from London Bridge Platform 13 (where the Royal Dock was), shunt over to the South Eastern side and run to Charing Cross to couple to a Ramsgate/Dover service.

As for mail workings at London Bridge, it was all loco and vans. A combination of GUVs, BGs and CCTs and those that carried staff a Mk 1 2nd Class Brake. Locos were Class 73s and 33s. Stock was kept at New Cross Gate Sidings (now Sainsburys I believe). A shunter with a radio kept in contact with the Signalman in London Bridge MPSB(ASC) to do many shunting moves to form trains.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Were the MLVs ever considered for passenger use?
I mentioned on another thread that I did read once of an MLV pressed into service to ferry passengers from Dover Marine to Priory when a power outage prevented anything without batteries getting out of Marine. Standing room only of course, but it wasn't very far!