• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split-Contactless Saturday in April

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've got a Saturday in London coming up.

I'll be catching a TfL bus into Heathrow T5, then a tube from Heathrow T5 to central London. I'll then be making at least 3 more journeys in Zones 1 and 2, probably more.

I have no relevant railcards or other discounts.

I'm planning on using contactless.

Am I right in thinking I'm best using a different card for the tube journey from Heathrow to all the other journeys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

More or less, yes.

See examples at https://oysterfares.com/information-pages/capping-examples/

Daily Capping with Contactless (mainly zone 1-2)​

TimeFromToFareTotalNotes
10:10Upminster (6)Tower Hill (1)£3.30£3.30will become a zone 6-3 extension later
12:15Aldgate (1)Baker Street (1)£2.40£5.70
13:02Baker Street (1)Oxford Circus (1)£2.40£8.10
14:28Bond Street (1)Camden Town (2)£1.00£9.10Zone 1-2 daily cap plus £1.70 off-peak extension fare for zones 6-3
16:30Camden Town (2)Upminster (6)£2.80£11.90As above plus a zone 3-6 peak extension fare

Ultimately, the system is designed to charge as little as possible if used in the correct way, no matter what specific journeys you make. There are very few 'split' edge cases on the network and many involve breaking OSIs.

The only way to further lower costs for yourself is by splitting at Hatton Cross due to the Heathrow Free Travel zone and Heathrow terminals being peak 24/7

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is cheaper when travelling between Heathrow and Central London if you alight at Hatton Cross, touch out and then immediately touch back in. You will have to step back a train to do this but it should only delay your journey by a few minutes.

This is because Anytime fares are charged at all times between Heathrow and Central London. Travel is free between Heathrow and Hatton Cross, and off peak fares are charged all day on Saturdays between Hatton Cross and Central London.

There's nothing to be gained by using separate cards.

Route115?

Presumably fare capping works on individual cards so you could end up paying more if you use different cards.