• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Oxfordshire

Marcus Fryer

I understand from the Stagecoach West thread that new electric buses (Alexander Dennis E400) are due for Oxford. Does anyone have more details about when they are expected to enter service, and on which routes please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parebunks

I understand from the Stagecoach West thread that new electric buses (Alexander Dennis E400) are due for Oxford. Does anyone have more details on when they are expected to enter service, and on which routes please?
Beginning to be phased into service from the start of May (source in the Stagecoach section), on the routes within Oxford SmartZone. That's 1, 2, 2A, 8, 10, 14. Haven't done full calculations, but 55 vehicles seems potentially more than needed for those routes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they see some use on more 'country' routes like the S5 or S9?

goldisgood

Beginning to be phased into service from the start of May (source in the Stagecoach section), on the routes within Oxford SmartZone. That's 1, 2, 2A, 8, 10, 14. Haven't done full calculations, but 55 vehicles seems potentially more than needed for those routes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they see some use on more 'country' routes like the S5 or S9?
Definitely more than needed - the city routes only use around 35-40 vehicles between them. I'd expect the electrics to run on the Oxford portion of the S7, which would use another 6, and maybe some midday boards on the S3, S5 and S9 where the buses outstationed at Chipping Norton/Bicester/Grove currently cycle through Oxford depot? Note that most of these services are worked from outstations which presumably won't be equipped with overnight charging facilities. If I remember right some frequency improvements are planned for the city later as part of the bus gate introduction also linked to the ZEBRA bid, but I haven't seen anything on this recently.

Falcon1200

Established Member
It will be great to see new buses on Stagecoach in Oxford, particularly on the service I use most, the 14; Almost entirely operated by single-deckers which at times are extremely busy. Although OTOH it will be sad to see some of the 'foreign' (ie from the South Coast) buses, which have been running in Oxford recently, go!