• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tapping in at Paddington then train fails….

cavberks

Hi all, a bit of a niche question perhaps but I was wondering please what happens if you touch into a platform at Paddington with contactless and then the train fails.

In the old times I would just use my paper ticket at the barrier again for the next train to Reading instead.

However as I have tapped in do I have to tap out and then in again at the alternative platform?

But given I am in the system already how would this be charged?

Do I need to be let out and in again by staff on trust?

Any insights appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P Binnersley

TfL have issued guidance on "Same Station Exits"

Same station exits​

If you touch in when you enter a station, and then touch out to exit it within a short period of time, you'll be charged a same station exit charge. These are:

• Between 0 - 2 minutes: a maximum fare. If you re-enter the same or a different station within 45 minutes, you'll be refunded. This doesn't apply if you take a bus or tram before re-entering a station
  • Between 2 - 30 minutes: the minimum pay-as-you-go fare from that station
  • More than 30 minutes: two maximum fares. We'll assume two separate journeys have been made and both will be incomplete
We apply these charges to discourage fare evasion.

You may be able to get a refund if you touched in and out at the same station.
and getting refunds:

Touched in and out at the same station​

You can get a refund if you have been charged for touching in and out at the same station without making a journey.

Before you claim​

We aim to automatically refund you for a same station exit if you have not had one in the last 7 days.

Claim a refund​

Contactless (card or device)​

If you haven't received an automatic refund after 48 hours, you can submit a claim for a refund on your contactless and Oyster account:

Always tap both in and out. The computer should sort it within a couple of days; otherwise you will need to claim.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don’t they have a device to check if you tapped your card?
No. With contactless cards touching in or out, ie place and time information, cannot be written to the card, your entry to the system is checked retrospectively by the back end system. All an onboard check can do is confirm the card is not currently
blacklisted.

Traditional PAYG Oyster cards can be checked for in/out status by revenue staff’s mobile devices though.