• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

That’s TV channel showing railway films.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
For those who receive the That’s TV channel at 1305 each afternoon they are currently showing a series of railway films. They are called British Railways Volume 1-onwards and appear to be from previously released videos. Still worth a look though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Today's 1.05 p.m. airing (Freeview channel 56) appears to be billed as "Trainspotting: Steam in the Midlands".

Tomorrow (Tuesday 16th January 2024) it's "Trainspotting: Bewdley to Blaenau" which I believe was originally released on DVD ("British Railways
- Vol 4") back in 2008.

The film footage, as you might expect, is somewhat grainy.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seems to be a one hour programme featuring the Cumbrian Coast railway, being aired on "That's TV" on Wednesday 17th January 2024, as part of the "Journeys" series. This one is at 11.40 a.m.

Also, the Isle of Man Steam Railway is featured on Friday 17th January 2024, this time at 11.35 a.m., also part of the "Journeys" series.

AndrewE

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up, I would certainly have missed them.
Strangely/unfortunately they don't seem to have any series link on my Manhatten box... Had to do it all manually.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Try this link...

Seems to show the programming for the next few days.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Never heard of this channel until today, will keep my eye on it.
Don't think the channel is included in most/any listings magazines. But it certainly seems to be the place to go if you ever want to watch back-to-back episodes of the 1990s time travel sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart". :rolleyes:

Trackman

Established Member
Don't think the channel is included in most/any listings magazines. But it certainly seems to be the place to go if you ever want to watch back-to-back episodes of the 1990s time travel sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart". :rolleyes:
There are some real gems on there which I've not seen for years.
Going to keep my eye on the listings, hopefully people can bump the thread if any more railway programmes are scheduled.. missed the first couple, no doubt it will be repeated at some stage.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Yes it’s one of its current favourites like Only Fools is on Gold. There’s been lots of other old comedies recently like the Kenny Everett Video Show,Til Death Us Do Part,It Ain’t Half Hot Mum to name but a few.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Interesting program today about Bewdley and Wales. Noticeably it was directed by Wilf Watters. His own films (generally about the run down of cinemas) are often shown on Talking Pictures TV.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One thing about these minor channels is that several of them are often under one owner and the shows can flit around between the channels; there's usually something of interest on somewhere but not necessarily on the same channel as previously. it pays to scroll through the whole Freeview menu on a daily basis to check what's on - although I appreciate it can take a bit of time to do that.

Woolos 22

One thing about these minor channels is that several of them are often under one owner and the shows can flit around between the channels; there's usually something of interest on somewhere but not necessarily on the same channel as previously. it pays to scroll through the whole Freeview menu on a daily basis to check what's on - although I appreciate it can take a bit of time to do that.

Woolos 22

Monday 22 is Keighley and worth
Tuesday cumbria coast railway part 2
Wendesday Llangollen railway
Thursday Manx electric railway
Friday settle and carlise

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Today and the next two days have some foreign rail trips. Today is Spain and is showing now. It’s a bit of a travelogue.
An interesting screen grab from the Spanish film,just who designed the short sighted spotter livery first?
92217AA7-2BCA-40EE-BE21-DD491133CE5C.jpeg

Last edited:

overthere

I have been a long time reader of these forums and thought its about time I joined in and today has spurred me on.

As today at lunchtime on Thats Tv they had a programme called Railways - Then and Now: GWR, followed by 100 years of British Buses.

Tomorrow (24th) it is about the Southern
Monday (29th) the LMS
Wednesday (May 1st) the LNER
Thursday (May 2nd) British Rail

As Peter Mugridge says it is worth checking the EPG reguarly, particuarly Wednesdays onwards, as they seem to show random rail and it seems now bus programmes then.

overthere

I have been a long time reader of these forums and thought its about time I joined in and today has spurred me on.

As today at lunchtime on Thats Tv they had a programme called Railways - Then and Now: GWR, followed by 100 years of British Buses.

Tomorrow (24th) it is about the Southern
Monday (29th) the LMS
Wednesday (May 1st) the LNER
Thursday (May 2nd) British Rail

As Peter Mugridge says it is worth checking the EPG reguarly, particuarly Wednesdays onwards, as they seem to show random rail and it seems now bus programmes then.

Quick correction, should be 26th for the Southern NOT 24th.