• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

This is a Forum Idea of a New Royal Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
What with being a republican, in my ideal future there'd be no more need for a Royal Train. But that's not really relevent here...

Given that it is very lightly used and very well looked after, there's no need to replace it any time in the next few decades, is there? Perhaps the locomotives may need replaced (they get used more), but they'd be replaced with whatever is current at the time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brianthegiant

Lets not forget that:
Passenger demand has increased ~50% in the last 15 years. (wikipedia)
Passenger stock has increased ~10% in that time. (bbc tv prog)
It is 800 days since the last rolling stock order was placed (railwayeye)
So many routes are seriously overcorwded, despite the high fares.

If the rail industry and the government were to commit resources to a new royal train, in this climate, that would be seriously unpopular especially with a lot of commuters many who are politically influential.

At the end of the day it aint a vote winner & it aint gonna happen, but you can always dream...

dk1

Veteran Member
As long as it makes us feel patriotic we can forget about how much it costs surely. I work & pay tax & am more than happy to support everything Royal. Lets get as much use out of the train as possible.

Leave it as it is. If its not broke, dont fix it.

Ive only seen the royal train about 10 times, if that, the last about 3 years ago.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, assuming the stock wears out completely, then I would go with the electro-diesel MU idea as well. Perhaps they could rebuild the lines to Hunstanton and Ballater at the same time, to give access to Sandringham and Balmoral, as long as regular passenger trains and railtours can use the lines as well.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Concorde G-BOAC restored and added to the Queen's Flight, mostly to show up Air Force 1 at summits.

Well, assuming the stock wears out completely, then I would go with the electro-diesel MU idea as well. Perhaps they could rebuild the lines to Hunstanton and Ballater at the same time, to give access to Sandringham and Balmoral, as long as regular passenger trains and railtours can use the lines as well.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Concorde G-BOAC restored and added to the Queen's Flight, mostly to show up Air Force 1 at summits.

Yes, that would be good. But Her Maj will probably have to make do with the British Airways Boeing 747-400, we cant afford anything else for her due to the MP's fiddling their expences, again.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They can have what ever they want.................. if THEY pay for it. i do not dislike the Royal Family, and cer tainly not HM The Queen, as i am sure they work well for the country. I object to them taking money from hard up poor people in this country when they have pots of cash already.

They need a new train - sell a Rembrandt

TBH i can see the existing MKii & MKiii ( non sleepers) being replaced by MKiv coaches and the current arrnagement continuing. Alternativley they may just have to do without one when this train becomes life expired.

Yew

Established Member

Concorde painted in the royal train colours, with the crest on the side?

Status
Not open for further replies.