• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC/FOC staff receiving vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Can’t see this posted anywhere; I recently took advantage of being officered my first Covid jab (Pfizer) and naturally bit their hands off (I was offered this through the Ambulance Service), but it got me thinking. There has been no briefing etc issued by my TOC to say whether staff need to speak to their manager or Occ Health prior to this. I assumed there was no need, but with common (albeit mostly minor) side effects of these vaccinations, in hindsight I’d think there should be general guidance for staff. Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Can’t see this posted anywhere; I recently took advantage of being officered my first Covid jab (Pfizer) and naturally bit their hands off (I was offered this through the Ambulance Service), but it got me thinking. There has been no briefing etc issued by my TOC to say whether staff need to speak to their manager or Occ Health prior to this. I assumed there was no need, but with common (albeit mostly minor) side effects of these vaccinations, in hindsight I’d think there should be general guidance for staff. Thoughts?
You would surely follow your normal drugs and alcohol policy.

Stigy

Established Member
It's a drug so follow the established procedures. Not confusing at all to me.
It’s confusing in that this is something new, and isn’t a million miles different to a flu vaccination, whereby staff do not have to declare having had it or their intention to have it, therefore one would assume it prudent to issue a staff brief if D&A policy should be considered to cover this in the same way it does drugs.

dctraindriver

Follow the policy. You raise a good point. I’d be bringing it to the attention of your DM and rep as they best get something out to staff sharpish.

Stigy

Established Member
Follow the policy. You raise a good point. I’d be bringing it to the attention of your DM and rep as they best get something out to staff sharpish.
Thanks, I’ll email our H&S rep.

By way of an update, I’ve not got it in black and white from Occ Health that permission is not required, therefore my interest has somewhat diminished :D

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Read ASLEF bulletin 14, issued on 14th January 2021
If that’s the newest one, I have read it. It states staff should have the vaccine in line with company policy? It doesn’t state specific policy.

I tend not to read much Union stuff if I’m honest. I got a definitive answer from our occupational health department which is quite clear cut. We don’t need permission to have the vaccine. That email is now saved :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It’s confusing in that this is something new, and isn’t a million miles different to a flu vaccination, whereby staff do not have to declare having had it or their intention to have it, therefore one would assume it prudent to issue a staff brief if D&A policy should be considered to cover this in the same way it does drugs.
I agree. At our company we have a list of "approved" medicines that staff can take without this needing to be declared to occupational health; obviously this isn't updated that often & doesn't have any Covid vaccines on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.