• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine/Avanti sat 22 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
I will be travelling from Windermere to Hertfordshire on Saturday 22nd October. I am looking at the route options bearing in mind that Avanti haven’t confirmed their times yet but I think they are diverting via Aston.
I would have travelled out via Bentham so would refer a different way back.

To avoid Avanti, If I got the Northern service from Windermere to Manchester Piccadilly, how reliable is the Transpennine service via Hope Valley to Doncaster ? Also is it still class 185 on this route ? Or is the Manchester-Leeds service more reliable? I would then get LNER to Stevenage.

Also if I changed at Manchester is the Manchester-Euston service more reliable than the Glasgow to Euston service ?

I am also looking at possibly going up to Carlisle and using LNER from Carlisle (changing again at York) though the connections at Carlisle are not great and May also rely on Avanti to get there!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Remember the RMT have called a strike for Avanti train managers that day so I suspect Avanti services will be more limited than what is currently showing.

Depending what ticket you hold, maybe do something like Windermere - Preston on northern, for a York service via the Copy Pit line to Leeds for LNER forward to Stevenage.

The usual suggestion at going via Manchester on Northern then towards Crewe on TfW for the London Northwestern service doesn't really apply due to those engineering works on the Trent Valley, going via Birmingham adds a lot of time (especially as the connections at New Street are a bit rubbish)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I will be travelling from Windermere to Hertfordshire on Saturday 22nd October. I am looking at the route options bearing in mind that Avanti haven’t confirmed their times yet but I think they are diverting via Aston.
I would have travelled out via Bentham so would refer a different way back.

To avoid Avanti, If I got the Northern service from Windermere to Manchester Piccadilly, how reliable is the Transpennine service via Hope Valley to Doncaster ? Also is it still class 185 on this route ? Or is the Manchester-Leeds service more reliable? I would then get LNER to Stevenage.

Also if I changed at Manchester is the Manchester-Euston service more reliable than the Glasgow to Euston service ?

I am also looking at possibly going up to Carlisle and using LNER from Carlisle (changing again at York) though the connections at Carlisle are not great and May also rely on Avanti to get there!

Thanks.
I think you'll find the most reliable route will involve avoiding both Avanti and TPE. Both have had reduced timetables and significant levels of cancellations over recent months. The 22nd is an RMT strike day for Avanti too, so expect a further reduced service, probably similar to what has operated on industry-wide RMT strike days (e.g. yesterday).

If you want to be sure of actually getting there as planned, you're probably best off using Northern from Windermere to Lancaster or Preston, across to Leeds via the "Little North Western" or Copy Pit, and then LNER down to wherever you're going. However this isn't a valid route on a through ticket, so you'd need to buy a combination of tickets.

trainophile

Established Member
Remember the RMT have called a strike for Avanti train managers that day so I suspect Avanti services will be more limited than what is currently showing.

Depending what ticket you hold, maybe do something like Windermere - Preston on northern, for a York service via the Copy Pit line to Leeds for LNER forward to Stevenage.
I can't find anything about a strike on 22nd October. Did you have a link to which operators are affected? Just Avanti? If it's RMT that usually means most of them.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I can't find anything about a strike on 22nd October. Did you have a link to which operators are affected? Just Avanti? If it's RMT that usually means most of them.

This from an RMT Press Release on Friday 7th October 2022...

Extract...
Train managers on Avanti West Coast will take strike action on Oct 22 in a row over the imposition of rosters.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks. I didn't realise individual TOCs could do their own thing within their unions.
Secondary industrial action is banned - the current nationwide strikes are merely the result of strikes being called across different employers on the same day.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Remember the Manchester to Cleethorpes service is once an hour, and is regularly delayed/cancelled. I would consider going via Leeds, as you can either go from Preston to Leeds via Burnley and Hebden Bridge.

Or, if you do use TPE, I'd consider going from Victoria because there are a few more services to Leeds (802s as well as 185s).

Status
Not open for further replies.