• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: “New” station sequences

The exile

Established Member
Excluding reopened lines, what are the longest sequences of stations (re-) opened post-Beeching on National Rail (let’s say 01/01/1970 or later)? For the sake of argument, we will include any currently under construction.
The best I can come up with is two separate sequences of 5: Horton-in-Ribblesdale, Ribblehead, Dent, Garsdale & Kirkby Stephen, and Cam & Dursley, Yate, Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood and Ashley Down. Any advance on 5? Remember, the line must have remained open to passenger traffic throughout (so Borders, Ebbw Vale etc excluded)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
Another 'fiver' would be the Maryhill Line in Glasgow, which was used continuously by West Highland Line trains until local stations were reopened in 1993. I'm not sure Kelvindale station meets the criterion - otherwise this would have been a 'sixer'.

Also in Scotland - I'm not sure about the Glasgow - Edinburgh via Shotts route.
This line remained open for passengers through the BR period, but with far fewer stations than at present. Unfortunately, now that so much useful stuff at timetableworld.com has gone behind a paywall, I couldn't check which stations had remained open in the 1970s. However, I suspect there are no runs of five or more new / reopened stations between the survivors. I'd be interested to know if there were (especially at the Edinburgh end)

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Another 'fiver' would be the Maryhill Line in Glasgow, which was used continuously by West Highland Line trains until local stations were reopened in 1993. I'm not sure Kelvindale station meets the criterion - otherwise this would have been a 'sixer'.

This line remained open for passengers through the BR period, but with far fewer stations than at present. Unfortunately, now that so much useful stuff at timetableworld.com has gone behind a paywall, I couldn't check which stations had remained open in the 1970s. However, I suspect there are no runs of five or more new / reopened stations between the survivors. I'd be interested to know if there were (especially at the Edinburgh end)
Kirknewton spoils the sequence on the Shotts line - the next three towards Edinburgh are all post-1970 (re-)openings, as is Livingston South on the other side, but Midcalder / Kirknewton stayed open throughout. Unfortunately, for what would otherwise be, as you say, a "sixer", Kelvindale is on a reopened stretch of line - closed in the 1980s and without passenger traffic long before that.

stevieinselby

The Swanline between Cardiff and Swansea has 7 new/reopened stations ... but the sequence is broken up by Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway and Neath, so unfortunately it isn't continuous.

MadMac

The R&C involved six consecutive new/reopened stations. What about the Argyle Line? Arguably seven new/reopened stations.

This line remained open for passengers through the BR period, but with far fewer stations than at present. Unfortunately, now that so much useful stuff at timetableworld.com has gone behind a paywall, I couldn't check which stations had remained open in the 1970s. However, I suspect there are no runs of five or more new / reopened stations between the survivors. I'd be interested to know if there were (especially at the Edinburgh end).
Kingsknowe closed in 1964 and reopened in 1971. Wester Hailes, Curriehill and Livingston South were 1980s openings.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
The Robin Hood Line opened in the late 1990s. The new stations being Bulwell, Hucknall, Newstead, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Sutton Parkway, Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Shirebrook, Langwith-Whaley Thornes, Creswell and Whitwell.

The exile

Established Member
The Robin Hood Line opened in the late 1990s. The new stations being Bulwell, Hucknall, Newstead, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Sutton Parkway, Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Shirebrook, Langwith-Whaley Thornes, Creswell and Whitwell.
Both this and the Argyle line don’t qualify as the lines themselves had not remained open to passenger services throughout.

The R&C involved six consecutive new/reopened stations.
What’s the R & C?