• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest town/city without a major bus depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I had the privilege of being in East Kent yesterday, and whilst speeding towards Canterbury, was passed by several Stagecoach vehicles running out of service. This is because a number of local routes are operated by the Dover, Herne Bay and Westwood depots, a consequence of East Kent's Canterbury depot being closed in the late 80s (though I think an outstation did persist for a while.

Got me thinking....what is the largest place in the UK without a major bus depot? I'm guessing East Kilbride but just wondering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
When you say major bus depot, do you mean small ones are allowed, or none are allowed

Don’t think Cirencester (population 19,000) has any buses based there, can’t think of one in Christchurch (population 45,000) either

Djb1

Altrincham doesn’t have a depot (population around 50k), but depending on definition, I’m not sure any current operator of service buses has a depot in the entire of Trafford (pop circa 250k)

Edit : sale has a population of 135k within trafford.

Andyh82

Established Member
Does Bury count in Greater Manchester?

Bury locals run by Rosso operated from Rochdale

Diamond and Go North West local and interurban run from Bolton and Manchester

JonathanH

Veteran Member
No major bus depot in Redhill, Reigate or Horsham - buses run from the Metrobus depot at Gatwick.

RELL6L

Wow! Lots to choose from these days...
Rotherham
Are there any depots in Salford?
Bury must count
Accrington
Middlesbrough (Arriva in Stockton & Redcar, Stagecoach in Stockton)
Watford

I thought Canterbury did have at least an outstation
Arguably Chester, both Arriva and Stagecoach some way out of the city

carlberry

Established Member
The City of London given it's daytime population (however it's residential population is small).

duncombec

I had the privilege of being in East Kent yesterday, and whilst speeding towards Canterbury, was passed by several Stagecoach vehicles running out of service. This is because a number of local routes are operated by the Dover, Herne Bay and Westwood depots, a consequence of East Kent's Canterbury depot being closed in the late 80s (though I think an outstation did persist for a while.

Canterbury has a position as the hub of a set of spokes, so aside from local City services and those to Faversham, almost everything comes in from an area with a depot. City and Faversham services are operated from Herne Bay, and the local service 649 operates from Ashford, because it can be connected with a peak school working on the 1A! Park & Ride operates from Dover, which isn't so much of an issue due to the A2.
A side note: Canterbury has seven large secondary schools, so the afternoon peak starts about 3pm.

The outstation lasted about 35 years, as it only closed in the 2010s... can't recall the exact date without looking it up. It is being redeveloped for housing.

In reality, Canterbury (C) and Herne Bay (HB) operated as one depot for some time, with a complex series of "changeover cars", which are often different during school holidays to school term. Lots of first and last journeys on services from Herne Bay or Whitstable are operated by vehicles that go on to other routes. Essentially, Canterbury Bus Station functions as a "semi depot" during the day, with certain vehicles allocated as "Bus station spare". During school terms, where some vehicles are only required in the "school peaks", they can also be used to cover short-term daytime failures. That said, there is no fuelling capacity at C, so some "cars" are scheduled to return to HB during the day (or 'step back', with another vehicle appearing in its place).

In contrast to some areas with a remote depot, where nothing happens until the man in a van comes from the depot ++ miles away, it actually works really rather well. Glad you found it a privilege!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
When you say major bus depot, do you mean small ones are allowed, or none are allowed

I wasn't trying to be too prescriptive. Otherwise, you could say just a bus depot and you'd have some small independent with 5 school buses being included.

Does Bury count in Greater Manchester?
Yeah, I'd say Bury counts

Are there any depots in Salford?

I'd probably say that Diamond's Eccles depot probably comes under Salford

The DVSA search has a 7 vehicle authorisation for the bus station only. The EK depot at St Stephens Road was sold but I recall that there was a yard still used opposite? Seems like it has long since gone

Canterbury has a position as the hub of a set of spokes, so aside from local City services and those to Faversham, almost everything comes in from an area with a depot. City and Faversham services are operated from Herne Bay, and the local service 649 operates from Ashford, because it can be connected with a peak school working on the 1A! Park & Ride operates from Dover, which isn't so much of an issue due to the A2.
A side note: Canterbury has seven large secondary schools, so the afternoon peak starts about 3pm.

The outstation lasted about 35 years, as it only closed in the 2010s... can't recall the exact date without looking it up. It is being redeveloped for housing.

In reality, Canterbury (C) and Herne Bay (HB) operated as one depot for some time, with a complex series of "changeover cars", which are often different during school holidays to school term. Lots of first and last journeys on services from Herne Bay or Whitstable are operated by vehicles that go on to other routes. Essentially, Canterbury Bus Station functions as a "semi depot" during the day, with certain vehicles allocated as "Bus station spare". During school terms, where some vehicles are only required in the "school peaks", they can also be used to cover short-term daytime failures. That said, there is no fuelling capacity at C, so some "cars" are scheduled to return to HB during the day (or 'step back', with another vehicle appearing in its place).

In contrast to some areas with a remote depot, where nothing happens until the man in a van comes from the depot ++ miles away, it actually works really rather well. Glad you found it a privilege!
I had just hit send before so thank you for that excellent explanation. And yes, it was a privilege - I did manage a half days' travelling that I'll share when I've time (and found a suitable thread)

Glenfield

Paisley?

Bigger than East Kilbride with McGill's depots being in the surrounding towns/villages of Johnstone and Inchinnan.

RELL6L

Middlesbrough is bigger, town 140,000, borough 387,000 I think. It slightly trumps Rotherham and Solihull. Bury population 80,000, district 190,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Middlesbrough is bigger, town 140,000, borough 387,000 I think. It slightly trumps Rotherham and Solihull. Bury population 80,000, district 190,000.
I should've thought of Middlesbrough really. Of course, it had two depots (Transit and Tees) located almost adjacent to each other in the town! Think the Transit one closed not long after deregulation (c.1988?) whilst the Tees one went in the mid 1990s, as both operators centralised their ops in Stockton.

Roger1973

Yes, East Kent did have an odd little yard just outside the City Centre in Canterbury when I was last there in the 00s - not sure I could place it on a map now.

Although the current operator licence does include Canterbury Bus Station as an operating centre, which implies that a few buses stay there overnight (presume they get swapped with one of the other depots regularly for maintenance etc.)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
In the West Midlands and basing the towns on their postcode, there are a few that once had bus garages but no longer have them.

Dudley (DY1+2) - Closed 1993
Harts Hill, Brierley Hill (DY5) - Closed 1993

Both of the above closed under ownership of West Midlands Travel.

Stourbridge (DY7-9)
Cradley Heath (B64)
Birchley Crossing, Oldbury (B69) at the present day M5 Junction 2

The above three had closed before 1986, and possibly not long after the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive came into existence in 1974.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
In the West Midlands and basing the towns on their postcode, there are a few that once had bus garages but no longer have them.

Dudley (DY1+2) - Closed 1993
Harts Hill, Brierley Hill (DY5) - Closed 1993

Both of the above closed under ownership of West Midlands Travel.

Stourbridge (DY7-9)
Cradley Heath (B64)
Birchley Crossing, Oldbury (B69) at the present day M5 Junction 2

The above three had closed before 1986, and possibly not long after the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive came into existence in 1974.
Cradley Heath closed in 1971 but reopened in 1973 by Midland Red to operate services across the West Midlands boundary, before clpsing again in 1977 when Cannock opened

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Kingswood (40k) , doesn't have a depot IIRC
Yeah, but whilst Kingswood is part of South Gloucestershire unitary authority, it really is no more a separate part of Bristol than Bedminster or Westbury on Trym; it's really just part of Bristol. It did HAVE a bus depot for a while in that Wessex Coaches became part of National Travel South West, that was vacated and subsequently used by CityLine as a minibus depot. You can still see it on Moravian Road - closed in the early 90s but a photo (credit to photographer) here:

hst43102

Wellingborough (town pop 49128, borough 79478) has no depots of any kind, as far as I know of.

westcoaster

Established Member
Wellingborough (town pop 49128, borough 79478) has no depots of any kind, as far as I know of.
Stagecoach operate out of Northampton/Kettering (is the out station at Chown Mills still open?)
Grant Palmer come all the way from Flitwick.

hst43102

Stagecoach operate out of northampton/Kettering ( is the out station at chown mills still open)
Grant palmer come all the way from Flitwick
I think Chowns Mill was closed a few years ago. I certainly haven't seen any vehicles there for a while.
Even school buses in the Wellingborough area come from other places - most are from Country Lion of Northampton, Lawmans of Kettering, Hamiltons of Desborough and Souls of Olney but there are others from the Corby area.

sk688

Just realised St Albans doesn't have a bus depot anymore , so could potentially be the largest city without one ?

Watford's has also closed , so that could be one as well

Status
Not open for further replies.