• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube strikes - best way Chelmsford to St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
So during the tube strikes next week I think my best option is either:

Chelmsford - Stratford, walk to Stratford Int. and Javelin to St Pancras

Chelmsford to Liv. Street, Elizabeth Line to Farringdon, and Thameslink to St Pancras.

Not being at all familiar with option 2, what would people recommend?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
So during the tube strikes next week I think my best option is either:

Chelmsford - Stratford, walk to Stratford Int. and Javelin to St Pancras

Chelmsford to Liv. Street, Elizabeth Line to Farringdon, and Thameslink to St Pancras.

Not being at all familiar with option 2, what would people recommend?
Option 2 is clearly much more frequent and, with a change at Stratford rather than Liverpool Street, much easier.

1D54

So long as Farringdon has adequate staff on the date and time of travel
I know someone who is going from St Pancras to Paddington next Thursday to catch a service to Truro using Thameslink and Elizabeth Line. Forgive my ignorance but how would the need for adequate staff at Farringdon put such a transfer in doubt?

Sleepy

Established Member
Farringdon would only be open if enough staff are on duty to meet the minimum safety requirements the same as any tfl tube line station.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I know someone who is going from St Pancras to Paddington next Thursday to catch a service to Truro using Thameslink and Elizabeth Line. Forgive my ignorance but how would the need for adequate staff at Farringdon put such a transfer in doubt?
Farringdon is staffed by London Underground staff. Even the Thameslink platforms.
You'll find some other Elizabeth Line stations are the same

redreni

I commute into Farringdon (EL). There have been strike days when I've arrived there and noticed there was no London Underground or Thameslink service, although the 63 bus would take you to Kings Cross if needs be. It's not far.

It's walkable for many, in fact.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Is there any way of knowing whether Farringdon will be open on any given strike day then?

hkstudent

Established Member
no way, it’s based on the luck of the day to see the final staff availability. And often, TfL Go or TfL website may not be able to provide the most up to date staff availability info.
Is there any way of knowing whether Farringdon will be open on any given strike day then?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hmm, so I guess Stratford International and the Javelin is the sensible option after all!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hmm, so I guess Stratford International and the Javelin is the sensible option after all!
Realistically, station announcements and information screens will have to show whether trains are calling at Farringdon so you will have the ability to leave that decision to the last minute.

fandroid

Established Member
Realistically, station announcements and information screens will have to show whether trains are calling at Farringdon so you will have the ability to leave that decision to the last minute.
There's a possibility that announcements at Stratford will cover the Elizabeth Line for Stratford, but not the Thameslink platforms. The Thameslink website should have information on that though. And, as advised, there is a bus between Farringdon and Kings Cross

In theory the DLR is not on strike with the tube, so could be used between Stratford and Stratford International.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Should be normal service on the Tube now - as the strikes planned for next week have been called off.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) were set to walk out from 23 July to 28 July, and Unite and Aslef members were due to strike on 26 and 28 July.
BBC London's Transport Correspondent Tom Edwards said it followed a "major step forward" in talks.
He said any changes to pensions would not happen until 2026.
Changes to working conditions would be subject to further negotiations.
It is the latest development in a long-running dispute between unions and Transport for London (TfL) over job cuts, changes to pensions, and working conditions - which could put 600 positions at risk.

hkstudent

Established Member
There's a possibility that announcements at Stratford will cover the Elizabeth Line for Stratford, but not the Thameslink platforms. The Thameslink website should have information on that though. And, as advised, there is a bus between Farringdon and Kings Cross

In theory the DLR is not on strike with the tube, so could be used between Stratford and Stratford International.
Generally, what's essential are staffing for the underground section, which is the Elizabeth Line bit. So if EZL is available, Thameslink platform will do so also. But TL may pre cancel and not reinstate them, so got to check the NR Joruney Planner

paul1609

Established Member
In an emergency Liverpool Street to City Thameslink, Blackfriars and London Bridge are all 1.1 to 1.2 miles so around 30 mins walk for an able bodied person to walk. If Westfield at Stratford is closed Stratford to Stratford International is over 0.5 miles platform to platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.