• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube strikes - is the Elizabeth Line likely to be unusable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Tomorrow morning I need to get from Liverpool Street to Paddington at around 7:30-8ish. Obviously with no tube service the EL will be busy... but how busy could we be talking? No room and leaving people behind..?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

Tomorrow morning I need to get from Liverpool Street to Paddington at around 7:30-8ish. Obviously with no tube service the EL will be busy... but how busy could we be talking? No room and leaving people behind..?
My diagram for tomorrow says that before 0700 and after 2230, services will/may not call at Whitechapel to Bond Street inclusive. You should be OK at 0730/0800, however, if you can board at Stratford, then the worse that'll happen is you'll run fast to Paddington. (Or go to High Level Liverpool Street if the train doesn't transition to CBTC).

Re busy? Not sure. I'd imagine, it'll be quite busy from Romford inwards, however, I'd like to think there will be effective crowd control in place.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hmm, I did consider that but thought Stratford would be even more rammed than Liverpool Street as a fair few people would be going to Liverpool Street...

Worst comes to the worst I will have to get a taxi I think...

iphone76

Hmm, I did consider that but thought Stratford would be even more rammed than Liverpool Street as a fair few people would be going to Liverpool Street...

Worst comes to the worst I will have to get a taxi I think...
I know it's a slog, but would you consider getting on at Shenfield if you come in from Chelmsford way? There were quite a few CBTC issues at Stratford today, including myself, so that isn't going to guarantee you running through, but you'll definitely get a seat.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I could I guess, though I'm not sure I like the idea of doing that AND then still not getting through the central section :lol:

I guess I will see how things look... it's for work, so I wouldn't have to pay for the taxi (I just hate travelling in taxis in general so always try to avoid them!)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You'll struggle to get a taxi when the tube is on strike.

iphone76

How did you get on? I saw a freight person all in orange get on my train around 0727 at Liverpool Street today. It was rammed. You were lucky as I was told at Stratford we weren't stopping at Liverpool Street and Bond Street. They changed it en route.

martin2345uk

Established Member
That could have been me :lol:

I got to Liverpool Street at about 7.15 to find the underground station totally closed and staff directing folks to Moorgate. I went outside and booked a taxi, but after a bit it hadn’t even been allocated, and then I noticed they’d opened the EL entrance across the road, so I went down there and although it was pretty heaving I managed to get the first Paddington bound train that came, as lots of people got off at Liverpool Street.

So all in all the EL was the saviour for many! Dunno how it was a bit closer to 9am when things probably got busier…

Status
Not open for further replies.