• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual ScotRail movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngac

Today I was sent a photo of 334006 and another unidentified 334 at Burnside from my father who said ‘units are all over the place tbh’ in reference to the current situation where EMUs are on services they normally wouldn’t be (334s to Newton, 318s to Wemyss Bay/Paisley Canal, 314s to Lanark etc).

Anyone know what’s going on and if there will be more unusual movements to come? It’s been a while since any 334s have run services out of Glasgow Central High Level and I was hoping to catch one when I return from the States in a few weeks time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
I presume this is partly related to the Rutherglen engineering work?

route101

Established Member
Today I was sent a photo of 334006 and another unidentified 334 at Burnside from my father who said ‘units are all over the place tbh’ in reference to the current situation where EMUs are on services they normally wouldn’t be (334s to Newton, 318s to Wemyss Bay/Paisley Canal, 314s to Lanark etc).

Anyone know what’s going on and if there will be more unusual movements to come? It’s been a while since any 334s have run services out of Glasgow Central High Level and I was hoping to catch one when I return from the States in a few weeks time.

Services diverted via Kings Park though i think . Larkhalls , not sure about the Whifflets as some are starting from Rutherglen and some Newtons extended to Larkhall.
As for 334s out of High Level im surprised that does not happen on Lanark services.
318 to Paisley Canal might of been a one off along with inverclyde .

Anvil1984

Established Member
I saw a Scotrail in Thornaby a few weeks ago...

Yeah Northern "hire" a Scotrail unit for a diagram, It works

2L03 0713 Dumfries-Carlisle
2N16 0803 Carlisle-Nunthorpe
2W27 1118 Nunthorpe-Hexham
2W30 1357 Hexham-Newcastle
2A26 1619 Newcastle-Morpeth
2N27 1652 Morpeth-Carlisle

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yeah Northern "hire" a Scotrail unit for a diagram, It works

2L03 0713 Dumfries-Carlisle
2N16 0803 Carlisle-Nunthorpe
2W27 1118 Nunthorpe-Hexham
2W30 1357 Hexham-Newcastle
2A26 1619 Newcastle-Morpeth
2N27 1652 Morpeth-Carlisle

It works in from and returns to Scotland on through services

Anvil1984

Established Member
It works in from and returns to Scotland on through services

Technically not through services as they arent’t advertised in the timetable as such however practically they seem it as there’s no standing time really. There’s also separate headcodes for the Scotrail portion and Northern bit too

The only advertised through services from GSW to Tyne Valley and vice versa are

2N10 0618 Dumfries to Newcastle (Northern unit)
1N56 0743 Dumfries to Newcastle (Northern unit)
1E97 1613 Glasgow Central to Newcastle (Scotrail unit)

1S50 0630 Newcastle to Glasgow Central (Scotrail unit)

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member

It's all connected with the two week Rutherglen block, last week and this week. Most Glasgow to Newton trains are extended through to Larkhall or Motherwell via Airbles. I think the following are booked a pair of 334s.
0616 Cumbernauld-Motherwell 0635
0649 Motherwell-Glasgow Central 0744
0757 Glasgow Central-Newton 0820
0831 Newton-Glasgow Central 0906
Then empty to Shields

On Thursday afternoon they did the 1746 Glasgow Central to Carstairs. Not sure if that's the booked working or a one off.

youngac

Thanks for the response. Will the 334 diagram continue until the works are over at the end of the month?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Thanks for the response. Will the 334 diagram continue until the works are over at the end of the month?
Tomorrow Friday 27th will be the last day; normal working through Rutherglen next week. I can confirm that the 1746 Glasgow to Carstairs is also booked 334s this week.

route101

Established Member
Took a service from Mount Florida to Hamilto 320 and 318. The information screen said Lanark services were diverted this way but they were operating as normal!!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Took a service from Mount Florida to Hamilto 320 and 318. The information screen said Lanark services were diverted this way but they were operating as normal!!
The Lanark trains go via Mount Florida on Sundays.

Fleetwood Boy

Tomorrow Friday 27th will be the last day; normal working through Rutherglen next week. I can confirm that the 1746 Glasgow to Carstairs is also booked 334s this week.

Not quite apparently. NR need an extra day at Rutherglen involving a complete closure. So Larkhall and Motherwell via Hamilton served by extension of the Newton trains as this week. Long distance trains diverted via Cathcart Circle. Argyll Line cut at Rutherglen. All else replaced by buses.

route101

Established Member
Not quite apparently. NR need an extra day at Rutherglen involving a complete closure. So Larkhall and Motherwell via Hamilton served by extension of the Newton trains as this week. Long distance trains diverted via Cathcart Circle. Argyll Line cut at Rutherglen. All else replaced by buses.

The long distance trains always go via Mount Florida , ive never seen go the Maxwell Park way ,

gsnedders

Established Member
The long distance trains always go via Mount Florida , ive never seen go the Maxwell Park way ,
I'm not even sure the drivers sign Maxwell Park or the trains are cleared for it.

On the low level trains running into Central (2tph), they pick up some Network Rail staff in hi vis at Exhibition Centre, run into Central normally, then run wrong line back to Exhibition Centre (and it's not bidi signalling). What's the NR person there for? The wrong line running? (Surely that can be dealt with by driver and signaller?) Someone on the train who obviously had some clue as to what was going on claimed it was to direct passengers onto the wrong platform at Central, though that doesn't explain the travel to and from Exhibition Centre (nor why it would be NR staff).

The trains terminating at Partick instead of running through the Argyle Line, does anyone know where they're reversing? Real Time Trains has them PTK, Finnieston West Jn, PTK on the ECS moves, but I can't imagine they're using the cross over on the North Clyde Line given that has a normal service?

Highlandspring

Established Member
On the low level trains running into Central (2tph), they pick up some Network Rail staff in hi vis at Exhibition Centre, run into Central normally, then run wrong line back to Exhibition Centre (and it's not bidi signalling). What's the NR person there for? The wrong line running? (Surely that can be dealt with by driver and signaller?) Someone on the train who obviously had some clue as to what was going on claimed it was to direct passengers onto the wrong platform at Central, though that doesn't explain the travel to and from Exhibition Centre (nor why it would be NR staff).
Working by pilotman to and from the point of obstruction, as per Rule Book module P2 section 4 -
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-P2 Iss 4.pdf (the rest of the module answers your questions above).

The trains terminating at Partick instead of running through the Argyle Line, does anyone know where they're reversing? Real Time Trains has them PTK, Finnieston West Jn, PTK on the ECS moves, but I can't imagine they're using the cross over on the North Clyde Line given that has a normal service?
They change ends on the Argyle line at Finnieston West Jn, it’s a signalled move albeit rarely used. The popular staff consensus is that the Dalmuir - Partick service being run during these weekend PARR blockades is utterly pointless and just gets in the way.

gsnedders

Established Member
Working by pilotman to and from the point of obstruction, as per Rule Book module P2 section 4 -
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-P2 Iss 4.pdf (the rest of the module answers your questions above).

Thanks!

They change ends on the Argyle line at Finnieston West Jn, it’s a signalled move albeit rarely used. The popular staff consensus is that the Dalmuir - Partick service being run during these weekend PARR blockades is utterly pointless and just gets in the way.
Ah! I thought the cross-over was beyond Finnieston West Jn!

Status
Not open for further replies.