• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upskirting Train Driver Avoids Prison

BrummieBobby

A Thameslink train driver who took photos up a woman’s skirt while she was asleep on a train has avoided jail, despite being found guilty of voyeurism.

The driver, Paolo Barone, was on his way home from a shift in September 2022 when he saw that the woman, 51, had fallen asleep on a train travelling from London Blackfriars to St Albans in Hertfordshire....
I suspect that the driver in question is now a former driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrex

Yes, it's a disgraceful offence. As for his job, it's surely gross misconduct; he was in a position of trust wearing his employer's uniform. I see he was said to be 'suspended' - you'd expect dismissal would be automatic now he's been convicted and sentenced.

Happily, offences (of all kinds) against passengers/customers by rail staff are overwhelmingly outnumbered by ones the other way around. I personally wish that more of those criminals got a spell in chokey. For example, this one:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...et-guard-at-manchester-piccadilly-spared-jail
A court heard David Corr, 37, of Cheadle Hulme, punched a female ticket guard in the face with a 'clenched first' when asked to show his ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krokodil

Established Member
Happily, offences (of all kinds) against passengers/customers by rail staff are overwhelmingly outnumbered by ones the other way around. I personally wish that more of those criminals got a spell in chokey. For example, this one:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...et-guard-at-manchester-piccadilly-spared-jail
Good grief, nine previous convictions (including smashing up a pub TV because he disagreed with a VAR decision) but his lawyer thinks that he has learned his lesson this time?

contrex

Good grief, nine previous convictions (including smashing up a pub TV because he disagreed with a VAR decision) but his lawyer thinks that he has learned his lesson this time?
I didn't see that. I am wondering if there are mental health issues? Although the behaviour does sound like straightfoward blokey toxic masculinity, and if we start locking all those cases up (which I'd support), there wouldn't be enough jail places. And many of the police would have to be confined, too, which would complicate matters. I had to look up what a 'VAR decision' is; it seems to be something to do with soccer.

Krokodil

Established Member
VAR: Video Assistant Referee. The sort of thing you really shouldn't feel the need to smash TVs up over.

contrex

VAR: Video Assistant Referee.
You get parents of schoolkids going on the pitch and assaulting the actual referee because he (or she!) made a decision that they didn't like; perhaps because it went against their little diddums. My brother-in-law has given up refereeing under 12s mostly because of the parents.

The sort of thing you really shouldn't feel the need to smash TVs up over.
Like I said, maybe he's 'got the mental health', as I think we say nowadays?

greyman42

Established Member
I didn't see that. I am wondering if there are mental health issues? Although the behaviour does sound like straightfoward blokey toxic masculinity, and if we start locking all those cases up (which I'd support), there wouldn't be enough jail places. And many of the police would have to be confined, too, which would complicate matters. I had to look up what a 'VAR decision' is; it seems to be something to do with soccer.
Was VAR actually being used back then? I see he played the mental health card as well.

DanNCL

Established Member
Nine previous convictions?? The fact that someone with so many previous convictions was a driver to begin with suggests there may be issues with GTR’s vetting process. Surely no TOC would knowingly employ someone as a driver with a background like that?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I see he was said to be 'suspended' - you'd expect dismissal would be automatic now he's been convicted and sentenced.
It doesn't say that he hasn't been disciplined, but the employer may have felt that disciplinary processes should be put on hold pending the legal proceedings.

contrex

Nine previous convictions?? ... Surely no TOC would knowingly employ someone as a driver with a background like that?
No, that's the passenger who assaulted a female guard, who I linked to in a reply as an example of the opposite type of offence (passenger against staff).

Was VAR actually being used back then? I see he played the mental health card as well.
For the England Premier League, VAR was introduced for the 2019-2020 season; he was convicted in relation to the smashed TV in May 2019.

It doesn't say that he hasn't been disciplined, but the employer may have felt that disciplinary processes should be put on hold pending the legal proceedings.
Yes, indeed. I wrote that he was said to be suspended in reply to the OP's suspicion that he was now a 'former driver'. I believe that voyeurism has a long history on the railway - wasn't there a story about an LBSCR motorman suspected of wedging his controller so he could clamber along the footboards and spy on a courting couple in one of the compartments, and coming to grief in Crystal Palace tunnel?

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Nine previous convictions?? The fact that someone with so many previous convictions was a driver to begin with suggests there may be issues with GTR’s vetting process. Surely no TOC would knowingly employ someone as a driver with a background like that?
Clearly they did employ him

If he lied on an application form about the convictions, then deserves to be sued for recovery of any pay since day he was suspended. Deliberate falsification should be treated like gross misconduct.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Clearly they did employ him
No, they didn't. The nine previous convictions refers to a member of the public who assaulted a member of railway staff in Manchester, not the upskirting driver.

contrex

I understood it was treated as fraud. Is that not the case?
Lying about, or omitting to mention unspent criminal convictions on a job application can be a crime (fraud by false representation), as can falsely claiming to have qualifications or experience, or 'massaging' a CV. But that is not relevant to the train driver whose case started this thread.

Elecman

Established Member
No, that's the passenger who assaulted a female guard, who I linked to in a reply as an example of the opposite type of offence (passenger against staff).

For the England Premier League, VAR was introduced for the 2019-2020 season; he was convicted in relation to the smashed TV in May 2019.

Yes, indeed. I wrote that he was said to be suspended in reply to the OP's suspicion that he was now a 'former driver'. I believe that voyeurism has a long history on the railway - wasn't there a story about an LBSCR motorman suspected of wedging his controller so he could clamber along the footboards and spy on a courting couple in one of the compartments, and coming to grief in Crystal Palace tunnel?
There was certainly a case of a driver spying on a courting couple on the old Newcastle electric units in the early 1900s

furnessvale

Established Member
There was certainly a case of a driver spying on a courting couple on the old Newcastle electric units in the early 1900s
It was very common on Mk 1 DMUs. The drop down blinds in the cab separating the cab from the first row of passenger seats always had slits cut in them low down at seated knee level.

I even recall a case of a driver slipping a DMU into neutral whilst on the move,opening the cab door and going out onto the footboard to get a better view of what a couple were up to.

contrex

Related (or not?), in July 2020 a driver called BTP on a couple 'engaged in a sex act' on a Liverpool Lime Street to Blackpool North train after seeing them on CCTV as it neared Euxton - and alerted British Transport Police, who stopped the couple at Blackpool North. I don't know the unit number or headcode. Also in the media, the disgusting Daily Mail is playing true to form with 'Married £90,000-a-year rail union boss, 62, is dating train driver 19 years his junior - as country is crippled by ASLEF strikes'. I think the Daily Fail has especially got it in for them because she is a Labour councillor.

I even recall a case of a driver slipping a DMU into neutral whilst on the move,opening the cab door and going out onto the footboard to get a better view of what a couple were up to.
Such a profound lack of judgement and attitude towards safety is appalling. If this really happened, the driver must have disabled some kind of driver safety device.

bramling

Veteran Member
Also in the media, the disgusting Daily Mail is playing true to form with 'Married £90,000-a-year rail union boss, 62, is dating train driver 19 years his junior - as country is crippled by ASLEF strikes'. I think the Daily Fail has especially got it in for them because she is a Labour councillor.

What an utter non-story.

Veteran Member
As for his job, it's surely gross misconduct; he was in a position of trust wearing his employer's uniform.
With respect, although the investigating police office refers to him being in a position of trust, I cannot see that it is a relevant factor: the victim was asleep, so the driver's uniform made no difference to their ability to upskirt her.

Dismissal for gross misconduct would still apply on a number of grounds, the exact one(s) depending on company policy.

contrex

With respect, although the investigating police office refers to him being in a position of trust, I cannot see that it is a relevant factor: the victim was asleep, so the driver's uniform made no difference to their ability to upskirt her.

Dismissal for gross misconduct would still apply on a number of grounds, the exact one(s) depending on company policy.
With respect, he was wearing his employer's uniform; he had a duty not to do anything to disgrace it, whether anyone saw him or not.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
With respect, he was wearing his employer's uniform; he had a duty not to do anything to disgrace it, whether anyone saw him or not.
I agree, and that is an obvious ground for a gross misconduct hearing. But he did not use his status to take advantage - which is what "position of trust" is about.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I agree, and that is an obvious ground for a gross misconduct hearing. But he did not use his status to take advantage - which is what "position of trust" is about.
I think there is an implied duty to act in the best interests of passengers, which could be considered as a position of trust.

contrex

I think there is an implied duty to act in the best interests of passengers, which could be considered as a position of trust.
I wonder if a police officer who shares pictures of murdered corpses with colleagues is guilty of abusing a position of trust (and if the colleagues are if they don't report it), whether or not anyone was upset by them. I guess it's misconduct in public office anyway.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I wonder if a police officer who shares pictures of murdered corpses with colleagues is guilty of abusing a position of trust (and if the colleagues are if they don't report it), whether or not anyone was upset by them. I guess it's misconduct in public office anyway.
When it happened it led to disciplinary action, so it was clearly considered to be misconduct. I'm not sure what it's got to do with train drivers though.

bluenoxid

Established Member
The general public won’t know what happens with regards to their role but I (who is not a legal expert or HR rep) expect that the organisation will look at the case for bringing the organisation into disrepute

Last edited:

Established Member
A (knighted) Conservative MP made it implicitly clear he objected to this being a criminal offence.

Last edited:

ejstubbs

AFAICS the ITV report doesn't mention anything about him having "learned his lesson". It does say that he "accepts full responsibility for the assault" and “He knows people working on the front line do not deserve to be treated like that.” I does also mention his brief as saying that he was "thought to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder after being the victim of a knife attack". I would have thought that the latter, if intended to be offered in mitigation of the offence, should really have been confirmed by a psychiatric report rather than just "thought".