• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is seating layout on West Midland Trains' Euston-Crewe services. Also reservations?

dcsprior

Hi, I'm looking to travel from Milton Keynes Central to Edinburgh around 5pm on Fri 18th April.

I have the choice between the 17:19 or 17:24, both of which connect to the same train into Edinburgh. The 17:19 is cheaper and fewer changes, but it's West Midland Trains - does anyone know:
  1. Would that be 2+2 seating or 3+2?
  2. Would my reservation actually be a reserved seat or just a counted place?
Just want to check, because I don't fancy 1hr40 either standing or sitting in a 3+2 seat!

Oh, as an added bonus question, is there any booking site that would've allowed me to see the answer myself?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
It’s either 2+2 or 3+2 and you get a counted place, the units swap so there is nothing to tell you which it will be on the day. However local knowledge may give a clue.

18/4/24 is a Thursday!

mangyiscute

Established Member
Looks to me like the 1724 involves two changes, as that train goes to Manchester via Stoke so you have to connect onto a Stoke to Crewe service then change at Crewe too - both 10 min connections and those emr services are often late into crewe as well.
The 1719 is direct to Crewe, involves what would almost certainly be a cross platform 10 min connection at Crewe and that's it. If you go to the front of the train at Milton Keynes, I would expect you to get a seat, but obviously can't give any guarantees.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Won't know the units until the day, and even then can be swapped out.

No reservations on WMT.

It will be an 8 car (2x 4 car 350), and there will be free seats to board at MKC, especially towards the front.

Highly likely to have at least 1 unit as a 2+2, though even the 3+2 is only like that in the centre sections of the carriages. Plus the former 1st class section is 2+2.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm tempted to chance it with the 17:19.
Do that. I have done it many, many times to avoid the slow trundle via Wolves on a Scotland bound train from MKC. It isn't worth the extra risk of a double change.

It has always been an 8 car train formed of 2 x 350. It can be a mixture of any of the sub types. No seat reservations, no catering but sometimes wifi! Whilst a pain the 350/2 seating layout isn't that bad, as long as you don't want to work.

Cursing this statement but I have never had a problem with the LM/LNWR Crewe services. The only downside is the grottiness of Crewe!

Wolfie

Established Member
It’s either 2+2 or 3+2 and you get a counted place, the units swap so there is nothing to tell you which it will be on the day. However local knowledge may give a clue.

18/4/24 is a Thursday!
Re your first sentence it is far from uncommon to have one 350/2 (3+2 seats) and one 350/1/3/4 (2+2) together. It may be a matter of walking through the train.....

mangyiscute

Established Member
Cursing this statement but I have never had a problem with the LM/LNWR Crewe services. The only downside is the grottiness of Crewe!
Ultimately, if the LNWR service is delayed there's a decent chance the avanti one will be too, so it wouldn't ruin the chances of making the connection.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It will be an 8 car (2x 4 car 350), and there will be free seats to board at MKC, especially towards the front.

As a general point on this (I know the OP has already travelled), it is worth checking, e.g. via Realtime Trains, if it originated at a long platform at Euston (3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15 or to an extent 16) or a short one (1*, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13 or 14). On the long platforms, the rear coach is a fairly long way behind the ramp, so on an 8 car formation (and certainly on a 4) is often the quietest coach because most people don't think to go down the ramp and back on themselves, whereas on the short platforms the front is normally quietest (or sometimes the second from front as people go to the front and don't turn back when they see it's a bit busy).

With a 12 car formation it's always the front or second from front that's quietest (though I can't recall if there are any 12 car formations on the Crewes yet, though it is planned).

This applies to all WMT services out of Euston pretty much.

* I know 1 is one of the two that are nearly 400m long, but its layout makes it the same as a short one in this specific case.