• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 250 42.3%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 339 57.4%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 309 52.3%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 423 71.6%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 267 45.2%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 306 51.8%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 185 31.3%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.5%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 204 34.5%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 99 16.8%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 253 42.8%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 151 25.5%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 175 29.6%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 137 23.2%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 24.9%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 428 72.4%

• Total voters

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Hi everyone.
Just wondering which tramways, existing and lost, at home and abroad, you have used.
Trams are wonderful in my opinion, and sharing knowledge about any trip on any tramway would be interesting.
If in doubt about whether steam trams or "tram-trains" count, it always does as far as this thread is concerned.
Feel free to say which are your favourites trams.
Many thanks

Personally I used both cliff trams in Scarborough, the one in Saltburn, and in Lynton.
Used traditional trams in Blackpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Great Orme, and also the DLR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
cliff Tramways - Folkestone, Bridgnorth

also extensively used Kusttram in Belgium

Trams in Brussels, Ghent, Berlin.

BJames

Established Member
I quite like Nottingham's (NET) - although some of the locals don't seem to be too fond of it (I'm a student). It works for where I want to go (more so last year to be fair - but the public transport around the city is quite well integrated).

AM9

Veteran Member
"One or more not on the list"
Vienna trams
Brussels trams and pre-metro
Santa Cruz (Tenerife) - nice weather, good views
Prague - best for Tatra trams
Hong Kong Island - probably the nearest to old London trams - but a lot hotter
Lisbon - best ride down from St Georges Castle on a four-wheeled tram
Soller-Puerto Soller, Mallorca
Boston (Mattapan High Speed Line) - great ride on a PCC Streetcar, at speed
Boston Green Line Metro
Las Vegas 'Tram' - rubbish really but convenient

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Munich, Berlin, Cologne, Nürnberg. Possibly several other German tram systems that I have forgotten.

station_road

Vienna
Brussels
Lille
Paris
Krakow
Warsaw
Bratislava
Seattle
San Francisco
San Diego
New Orleans
Boston
Melbourne
Sydney
Hong Kong

U-Bahnfreund

I like trams, so quite a lot of systems

Not counting museum lines:

Benelux:
Amsterdam, Utrecht, Brussels, Antwerp, Kusttram, Luxembourg

France:
Paris, Strasbourg, Mulhouse, Nice, Bordeaux, Nancy

UK:
London, Manchester, Blackpool, Edinburgh

Switzerland, Austria:
Basel, St. Gallen, Vienna, Innsbruck, Bern, Zurich

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland:
Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Warsaw, Szczecin

Bulgaria, Romania:
Sofia, Bucharest

Latvia, Estonia:
Riga, Tallinn

Denmark, Sweden, Finland:
Aarhus, Helsinki, Stockholm

Germany:
Rostock, Schwerin, Berlin, Schöneiche-Rüdersdorf, Woltersdorf, Potsdam, Brandenburg (Havel), Frankfurt (Oder), Bremen, Hanover, Dresden, Leipzig, Chemnitz, Erfurt, Nordhausen, Bielefeld, Dortmund, Bochum-Gelsenkirchen, Essen, Mülheim-Oberhausen, Duisburg, Düsseldorf, Krefeld, Köln, Bonn, Kassel, Frankfurt (Main), Mannheim-Ludwigshafen-Heidelberg, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Freiburg, Saarbrücken, Würzburg, Nuremberg, Munich, Ulm, Mainz, Gotha, Jena, Gera, Halle (Saale), Magdeburg, Naumburg (Saale)

Last edited:

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Moscow
Vienna
Istanbul
Odessa
Prague
Brussels
Ghent
Budapest
Hong Kong
Lille
Bratislava
Helsinki
Bordeaux
Trieste (Tranvia)

plugwash

Established Member
Blackpool - Visited loads of times over the years, nearly always ended up riding at least some trams when I do. I'm pretty sure I've ridden the whole line both pre and post modernization.
Metrolink - my nearst city (though it doesn't run to the suburb I live in), used it loads of times to get around and I think once or twice just for the sake of riding it but there are parts of the network I've never ridden.
Croyden - had a holiday in croyden where I visited a couple of steam railways and also road most if not all of the tram network
Sheffield - visited specifically to try out the tram-trains, don't remember if I rode the whole network though.
Beamish - Visted once, think I rode a tram or two while there.
Heaton park - Visited when the tram was running, I think I rode on the tram but I don't remember.
Marsellie - I think I rode one tram during my short (non transport related) visit to the city but my memory is hazy.

DanNCL

Established Member
Edinburgh
Manchester
Blackpool
Sheffield
Nottingham
West Midlands
Croydon
Crich
Beamish
Seaton
Saltburn Cliff Lift
Manx Electric Railway
Snaefell Mountain Railway
Douglas Horse Tram
Amsterdam
Frankfurt am Main (both the Straßenbahn and the Stadtbahn)
Stuttgart (both narrow and standard gauge, as well as the Zanradbahn)
Munich

Zamracene749

Off list-
Lisbon
Porto
Seville
Barcelona
Hannover
Munich
Augsburg
Bremen
Dusseldorf
Leipzig
Gorlitz
Poznan
Wroclaw
Katowice
Bytom
Warsaw
Krakow
Lodz
Bratislava
Kosice
Trenciana Teplice
Poprad
Szeged
Budapest
Miskolc
Debrecen
Timisoara
Cluj Napoca
Oradea
Vienna
Prague
Pilsen
Liberec
Ostrava
Brno
Riga

Loads more to tick off, in particular the Ukrainian systems and parts of Romania!

duncanp

Established Member
The ones not on the list that I have used are:-

France
Lille
Valenciennes
Paris
Marseille
Lyon

Belgium
Gent
Antwerp
Brussels
The Coastal Tram

The Netherlands
The Hague

United States
River Line (New Jersey Transit)
Metrolink (St Louis)
DART(Dallas Area Rapid Transit)
McKinney Avenue Trolley (a vintage tram service in Dallas)

Canada
Toronto Streetcar

Australia
Sydney Light Rail

Red Onion

I’ve done Manchester, Sheffield, Edinburg, Dublin & DLR from the list.

For cliff railways, I only remember Scarborough as a child.

Other systems not on the list are Oslo, Berlin, Calgary, Toronto and Sydney.

XAM2175

Established Member
On list: Croydon, Manchester, Amsterdam, and the DLR.
Off list: Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong, Geneva, Zürich, Vienna, Berlin, Augsburg, Köln, and Montpellier.

D6130

Established Member
UK:

Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Blackpool.

Europe:

Milano,Torino, Roma, Napoli, Paris, Lille, Grenoble, Lisboa, Porto, Puerto de Soller, Praha, Heidelberg, Frankfurt, Wien, Budapest, Brussel/Bruxelles, Antwerpen, Gent, Kusttram, Amsterdam.

I can highly recommend a day - or more - on the Milano tramways....one of the longest and most comprehensive networks in Europe - and still using many late 1920s/early 1930s cars, with their original polishes wooden bench seats and art deco interiors.

John Luxton

Established Member
Seemed to have omitted the Manx Electric and Snaefell which are essentially tramways or are they included in Douglas?

Also travelled on the Lisbon trams and visited the excellent tramway museum there which is part of the depot and also on the now I understand defunct La Coruna tram.

These trips were on cruises in 2012.

I took only my second trip on Metrolink in spring 2021 when I decided to use the Park and Ride rather than the very pricey city centre parking.

As I had some time to kill having dropped my camera off for a sensor clean I then killed some time riding out to Rochdale and back. My previous trip had been a run just after the system opened!

My only visit to Heaton Park was in the 1980s or early 90s.

I returned to Crich for the first time in 11 years in 2021 as well. Surprisingly very little appeared to have changed in the intervening 11 years.

Have done Blackpool system a few times in recent years on Branch Line Society railtours when rare track has been covered.

Last edited:

Caboose Class

All the major tram networks in the UK. A lot of the networks mentioned above by previous posters but I can also add the following:- Alexandria, Almaty, Belgrade, Bratislava, Bucharest, Cairo, Daugavpils, Gdańsk, Gothenburg, Hakodate, Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Kiev, Kraków, Kuala Lumpur. Kyoto, Łódź, Lviv, Manila, Moscow, Nagasaki, Norrköping, Odessa, Osaka, Plzeň, Porto, Poznań, Riga, Sapporo, Sarajevo, Sofia, Sóller, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn, Tashkent, Tunis and Volgograd. Also one of the last trams in Bradford (according to my Mum & Dad) which would have been in May 1950. I was a mere nine months old at the time - perhaps that was what inspired my fondness for trams.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
All the major tram networks in the UK. A lot of the networks mentioned above by previous posters but I can also add the following:- Alexandria, Almaty, Belgrade, Bratislava, Bucharest, Cairo, Daugavpils, Gdańsk, Gothenburg, Hakodate, Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Kiev, Kraków, Kuala Lumpur. Kyoto, Łódź, Lviv, Manila, Moscow, Nagasaki, Norrköping, Odessa, Osaka, Plzeň, Porto, Poznań, Riga, Sapporo, Sarajevo, Sofia, Sóller, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn, Tashkent, Tunis and Volgograd. Also one of the last trams in Bradford (according to my Mum & Dad) which would have been in May 1950. I was a mere nine months old at the time - perhaps that was what inspired my fondness for trams.
I went on the St Petersburg trams when the city was known as Leningrad and, being just that crucial bit older than yourself, the last two or three years of the original London trams. The photographic evidence of the latter only exists in an Ian Allan book of photos in which my father is quite recognisable (to myself) but I'd have been on that last day tram too!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The defunct Transperience museum at Low Moor had a demonstration line, used a former Budapest tram there back in around 1996-ish.

Other overseas tramways used:
Brussels
Prague
Barcelona
Cologne
Munich
Dortmund
Salzburg
Linz

Bessie

I've used trams in Santos, Brazil. Was there on a work trip in 2011.

IMG_4428.JPG

dgl

Established Member
I've done,
Seaton
Babbacombe (I think)
Lynton & Lynmouth
DLR

Taunton

Established Member
I'm amazed how many I clicked, and that's even before listing the overseas ones.

The most obscure, Yakima, Washington state, USA. I think it only ran on summer Sunday afternoons by the 1980s, but on mainstream trackage used by electric tram locos in the week. We might actually have gone on the last run of the year, after the Labor Day holiday, and it might not have run at all the next year or two. A real "Toonerville" operation.

miklcct

On Moderation
According to my records, I have used 11 tram networks (I do not consider DLR or Saltsjöbanan as tram because they don't run with road traffic):

Hong Kong Tramways
Light Rail (New Territories, Hong Kong)
Tram Al Ramlh (Alexandria)
IETT T1-T4 (Istanbul)
Riga Tram
Prague Tram
Spårväg City (Stockholm)
HSL Tram (Helsinki)
tpg (Geneva)
London Trams
West Midlands Metro