• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite seaside terminus UK station (and town)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Is any seaside town nice in February?
Yes, best time of the year to visit! Pick a crisp, clear frosty day and you can have the coastal paths and sea views to yourself. Even in Great Yarmouth (which coincidentally I'm visiting today on an Anglia Flexi Ranger).

railfan99

Established Member
t the context of this thread is about visiting these places.

I initiated it to gain an understanding as to where next have one or two night stays at seaside English termini, since expanded by the moderator (good on him!) to 'UK'.

Extremely valuable information above. Thank you to everyone.

I remain determined, if God allows, to enjoy/endure two nights in Great Yarmouth, whatever its detractors say. What is "so" bad about it? Extremely low socio-economic town?
:smile:

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
I remain determined, if God allows, to enjoy/endure two nights in Great Yarmouth, whatever its detractors say. What is "so" bad about it? Extremely low socio-economic town?
It's basically just a typical large 'Victorian' seaside town, parts of which have seen much better days, with the usual stuff along the seafront (of varying degrees of tackiness). If it's warm, the sun is shining, there lots of visitors around and everything is open - it's OK. It's actually quite large, so there are up-market as well as down-market parts in terms of housing etc.

But in East Anglia, personally I think Cromer, Sheringham and Felixstowe are much nicer and more interesting places to visit and/or stay in (as are Southwold and Aldeburgh, but they aren't rail connected). Lowestoft and Hunstanton are somewhere in-between those and Gt. Yarmouth in terms of appeal.

RuddA

there is no fun to be had. honestly. Awful. As I sad: try in in February and tell me you like it.

Best thing about Yarmouth? The Acle straight. The start of the long journey to freedom and the 21st century.
Live near Norwich and very rarely visit Great Yarmouth, but the Hippodrome and Joyland are worth a visit

steamybrian

Established Member
For me Aberystwyth and Wemyss Bay and are nice. No-one has mentioned Bognor Regis or Littlehampton which must be of the few (only?) seaside terminal stations not to be rationalised- have kept all four platforms since they were built.
OK my favourite must be on the narrow gauge-- Porthmadoc Harbour on the joint Ffestiniog/ Welsh Highland Railways. Sitting on the platform looking across the causeway seeing the sea and mountains with two trains departing in opposite directions. Alternatively with the same view sitting in the bar with a pint of local ale.

D6130

Established Member
For me Aberystwyth and Wemyss Bay and are nice. No-one has mentioned Bognor Regis or Littlehampton which must be of the few (only?) seaside terminal stations not to be rationalised- have kept all four platforms since they were built.
Err....yes they have. Both of them in fact.
I agree with you.

Stations wise I like Bognor but I don't know the town so well.

I like Bognor
I'm afraid I can't find any references to Littlehampton just now, but I'm sure it's been mentioned I'm the context of still having its original four platforms and semaphore signalling.

EDIT: I've just realised that it was your post above that mentioned Littlehampton! Apologies for that....senior moment! :'(

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Scarborough has gone downhill and seems very tired these days. I have never liked Brighton. The beach is horrible but the station is nice. I also find the town a bit grubby and dirty. Blackpool is miserable and the north station is about as welcoming as Colditz. The south station barely counts as a station! As for "Great" Yarmouth. Just bulldoze it into the sea. If I go back there this side of the next ice age it will be too soon.

Except that in Colditz they won't let you out, and at Blackpool North they won't let you in.

hawk1911

Is any seaside town nice in February?
I lived in Weymouth for over 5 years (1980s) and I always preferred the winter when it was quieter. Weymouth remains one of my favourite seaside terminus stations, although I miss the old station and the line to the quay.

A vote also for Cleethorpes, if only for its excellent real ale bars (there's also Cleethorpes Light Railway's Lakeside station with it's Signal Box pub).

Farigiraf

+1 for Lowestoft, in my opinion the nicest of the East Coast towns.
Llandudno as well is nice any time of year.
Purely off the station design, Wemyss Bay is unforgettable.

NeilCr

Ramsgate

Maybe because I live there and it feels like I am getting nearer and nearer home as the train heads towards the station

But I also love the look of the station - especially the main hall with the ticket office and buffet

And this seaside town certainly isn’t dead in February

Whitby is the best especially by steam train. I quite like Saltburn ( not so much for the station but happy memories of days out there) St Ives is nice. Lymington is nice.

Scarborough has gone downhill and seems very tired these days. I have never liked Brighton. The beach is horrible but the station is nice. I also find the town a bit grubby and dirty. Blackpool is miserable and the north station is about as welcoming as Colditz. The south station barely counts as a station! As for "Great" Yarmouth. Just bulldoze it into the sea. If I go back there this side of the next ice age it will be too soon.

And before anyone starts: I lived in Great Yarmouth. It is the most depressing place ever. Awful. So bad Jim Davidson was on at the pier theatre. Try it in February and come back and tell me you like it. Horrible place.
Colditz Station on my visit in 1996 was far more welcoming than Blackpool North ever has been. Sadly there isn't the opportunity to arrive there by train these days. Its a bus.

Trackman

Established Member
I've got to go with Llandudno, for the sake of nostalgia - a school trip in the early 1970's behind my first class 40 - standard corridor MK1 SK.

steamybrian

Established Member
Ramsgate

Maybe because I live there and it feels like I am getting nearer and nearer home as the train heads towards the station

But I also love the look of the station - especially the main hall with the ticket office and buffet

Ramsgate is a nice 1920s built station but such a l-o-n-g, l-o-n-g walk to the town centre and sea front. Sorry but do not like the town centre. The best Wetherspoons in the country..!

alex397

Established Member
Ramsgate

Ramsgate Station is wonderful. The architecture anyway, perhaps not the atmosphere - It seems every time I visit there’s a bit of drama. I’ve witnessed a fight, station staff getting vile abuse, and police with a mouthy tracksuited gentleman on the floor. Last time I was there a bunch of vaping 12 year olds tried to start a fight with me, which was both scary and hilarious at the same time. Then it’s an awful long walk to the (sorry) rather grim town centre (although there is the frequent Loop bus)

I prefer Margate Station to be honest, mainly because you get a glorious view of the sandy beach as soon as you leave the station. The 1920s station has been wonderfully restored recently, with a good cafe. I also like seeing the old platforms, and imaging all the Victorian tourists on day trips from London.
It also reminds me of the scene filmed at the station from Only Fools & Horses.

In that case, Oban jumps to the top of the chart. Lovely town, constant ferry activity, and the station right on the harbour. Still a pleasant enough terminus, though of course not a patch on the former, much-lamented, Victorian building.

Agree: town was pleasant in October 2023, with many historic buildings.

I thought the station was a bit threadbare, given IIRC the platforms lacked awnings. (But probably once had a trainshed or awnings).
I don't think the platforms that you see today ever had any awnings, but historically they weren't the main part of the station -- that was the fine wooden building that once stood just inland of the current platforms:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/816706
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6759839
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:13.06.83_Oban_37188_(5867190703).jpg
(The train in the 3rd picture is in one of the platforms that are still in use today, so you can see how they related to the old building).

NeilCr

Ramsgate is a nice 1920s built station but such a l-o-n-g, l-o-n-g walk to the town centre and sea front. Sorry but do not like the town centre. The best Wetherspoons in the country..!

Wonderful Spoons. Apparently the most profitable too
Ramsgate Station is wonderful. The architecture anyway, perhaps not the atmosphere - It seems every time I visit there’s a bit of drama. I’ve witnessed a fight, station staff getting vile abuse, and police with a mouthy tracksuited gentleman on the floor. Last time I was there a bunch of vaping 12 year olds tried to start a fight with me, which was both scary and hilarious at the same time. Then it’s an awful long walk to the (sorry) rather grim town centre (although there is the frequent Loop bus)

I prefer Margate Station to be honest, mainly because you get a glorious view of the sandy beach as soon as you leave the station. The 1920s station has been wonderfully restored recently, with a good cafe. I also like seeing the old platforms, and imaging all the Victorian tourists on day trips from London.
It also reminds me of the scene filmed at the station from Only Fools & Horses.

I agree with you both about the long walk. I used to do it both ways when I worked in London but these days (old and rickety) I use my bus pass

The town centre is not great but there are restaurants and shops springing up elsewhere and it’s definitely on the up. I love living here

I’m lucky enough to be able to walk in along the seafront and the marina (with its cafes bars and restaurants) is lovely

You’ve certainly been unlucky. I use the station regularly and have seen little trouble. There’s a gang of youths who hang round there at night sometimes who are best avoided though

Yes to the cafe at Margate I use it regularly and it’s really good

bearhugger

and the chippies. Anyone been to the Raven?
Ooh, surprisingly I've never heard of the Raven, where is it in Whitby? I normally go to the Royal Fisheries on Baxtergate - great fishcakes and the only chippie I know of that does crinkle cut chips.

bspahh

Established Member
You can still walk up the steps and take in the view that inspired artist Stanhope Forbes to produce his masterpeice "The Terminus" which is at the National Railway Museum. The trains and platform configuration may have changed over the past 99 years but it is still the same view.
NY_NRM_1976_9301-001.jpg

From https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/the-terminus-penzance-station-cornwall-9363

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Now that the whole UK is allowed, Llandudno absolutely. I love the place and the only pity is the station has lost its grand old roof.

Llandudno would be high on my choices too. The new ticket hall is pleasant and spacious, and the extra-wide platforms give a nice relaxed feel of comfort and give you are marvellous view of the hills/mountains in the distance.

railfan99

Established Member
Years ago, I went to Wick and Thurso (by the same train IIRC) but no one has yet nominated either as their favourite. They are isolated and require many hours' travel to arrive at from England so that may be a factor.