• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Trainee Train Driver - Bletchley (06/09/23)

dereksingh291

On Moderation

Introduction
Trainee Train Driver
Bletchley

Ready for a challenge? Although welcome, no qualifications or experience are needed for these excellent opportunities to help keep Britain moving.

Chiltern Railways is growing! We’re excited to announce our new route extension running from Oxford to Milton Keynes, this is due to be completed in the near future. With this in mind, we have a need for Trainee Train Drivers to join us! These roles are due to start in January 2024.

Successful applicants will benefit from world-class training while working towards an apprenticeship qualification.

The Role – Trainee Train Driver

As a Trainee Train Driver, you will fully commit to the duration of a bespoke training course that will last approximately 3 to 4 months (paid). As part of this training course, you will initially be classroom based. You will then shadow a fully qualified Train Driver, and vice versa. Once you are fully qualified you will drive our trains independently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Didn't know they ran out of Bletchley

Looks like prep for EWR - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/chiltern-railways-operation-of-east-west-rail-ewr.247286/

Chiltern Railways is growing! We’re excited to announce our new route extension running from Oxford to Milton Keynes, this is due to be completed in the near future. With this in mind, we have a need for Trainee Train Drivers to join us! These roles are due to start in January 2024.

clarets2005

I appreciate you sharing this, thank you.

Would anyone happen to know the salary whilst training and then once qualified?

£27,500 rising to about £30,000 after passing rules. Fully qualified salary (about £57,000) when you complete your first independent shift.

Theoffs

Just got an email of HR asking me to complete further details about any previous OPC tests completed? Think they must be putting people forward for testing.

Just got an email of HR asking me to complete further details about any previous OPC tests completed? Think they must be putting people forward for testing.

Got the same email, states you have until the 24th to complete, it only takes 2-3mins to do.

Interesting that they want to know about how far along you are with the assessments, wondering if this could progress pretty quickly for some.

clarets2005

Got the same email, states you have until the 24th to complete, it only takes 2-3mins to do.

Interesting that they want to know about how far along you are with the assessments, wondering if this could progress pretty quickly for some.

Almost certainly - after sifting, people who've completed all the assessments, and done anything else required on top (a VSE for example), will probably get shortlisted for a DMI.

Does anyone have a copy of the job application? I assume its been pulled online, whenever I try to click the link in the portal it comes up with an error.

nickman

Hello chaps. I've just received an @ with the invitation to the timed 90 minutes questionnaire.
Is it hard to complete that ??
Does anyone done it already by any chance?
Can anyone can please direct me what they all about In order to prepare myself beforehand?

HWI_2001

Hello chaps. I've just received an @ with the invitation to the timed 90 minutes questionnaire.
Can anyone can please direct me what they all about In order to prepare myself beforehand?
My questionnaire was just a 3 minute form about where you lived and if you’ve tested with another TOC in the past. No trick questions; I imagine it’s mostly to help with shortlisting and seeing who can be fast tracked through if they’ve already done OPC tests to Chilterns standard

Is that the one with the 90min timer but takes around 2-3mins to complete?

You really dont need to put much thought into this one, its just a questionnaire to gain some further details.

nickman

Is that the one with the 90min timer but takes around 2-3mins to complete?

You really dont need to put much thought into this one, its just a questionnaire to gain some further details.
Omg , was a bit stressed about that .
Thank you very much .
All the best for all of you fellas.

plastictaffy

Filled in the application, within a couple of days passed the sift (those that know, know that the sift is probably one of the hardest bits to pass imo) and got an email to fill in that form. Did that while having a beer on holiday in a couple of minutes!
Nothing yet. I'm guessing maybe hear towards the arse end of this week.
Anyone know how many that want?

TheRunningMan

Filled in the application, within a couple of days passed the sift (those that know, know that the sift is probably one of the hardest bits to pass imo) and got an email to fill in that form. Did that while having a beer on holiday in a couple of minutes!
As far as i know its for the new line thats being built so id imagine a fair few, so quite a good opportunity.

mattymat

The sift is when they review your cv?? Then they send the information form is that right? So many people don’t get past that you reckon?

The sift is when they review your cv?? Then they send the information form is that right? So many people don’t get past that you reckon?

Just out of interest, who does this part of the sift? Is it the TOC or OPC?

The reason I ask, is there would be thousands of applications to look through, it would take a huge amount of time to assess each one individually.

Is it manual or is there certain words they are looking for etc?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Just out of interest, who does this part of the sift? Is it the TOC or OPC?

The reason I ask, is there would be thousands of applications to look through, it would take a huge amount of time to assess each one individually.

Is it manual or is there certain words they are looking for etc?

The TOC does the sifting, nothing to do with OPC. Initial sift would be done on location/distance from Depot, etc. OPC will have records of who has completed testing in the past and how long those passes are valid for which will come into play later in the recruitment process.

As far as i know its for the new line thats being built so id imagine a fair few, so quite a good opportunity.

It's for EWR so successful applicants will eventually be driving trains from Oxford to Milton Keynes.