• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Trainee Train Driver - Bletchley (06/09/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattymat

I think the paper exercise still helps you develop the skills like picking info out quickly that can be transferred to a computer screen?

7819Hinton

There’s some good software that is similar to the test. Top result on Google. it’s not ‘how 2 become’.
There’s also plenty of plugs on here for really good software with minimal searching.
It’s not free, but depends how much you want the job.
why would you not over prepare?

RogerDoger

I have just completed mine. I was expecting SJT as well as the VSE as alluded to in the practice materials, but I only had the VSE when I logged in.

I would say it isn't particularly like the examples they give you, especially the letter comparison, but the theme is similar.

First two individual elements are nothing to get stressed about, but it certainly ramps up when you are required to do them at the same time. I have no idea how I have done tbh. I know I messed a few up

Will have to wait and find out

Best of luck everyone

stelczkrisz

I have just completed mine. I was expecting SJT as well as the VSE as alluded to in the practice materials, but I only had the VSE when I logged in.

I would say it isn't particularly like the examples they give you, especially the letter comparison, but the theme is similar.

First two individual elements are nothing to get stressed about, but it certainly ramps up when you are required to do them at the same time. I have no idea how I have done tbh. I know I messed a few up

Will have to wait and find out

Best of luck everyone
Good luck! How long does it take roughly?

7819Hinton

That’s your opinion, which you’re perfectly entitled to.
The packs they provide you with are ok, but are limited in content.
Everyone is different and some may reap the benefits of some additional practice material.
I wanted to make sure that I left myself in no doubt as to the outcome of my results, in that I had prepared as much as I could have done, leaving nothing to chance.
Some will fly through without having to do much practice at all.
Ultimately it’s down to the individual and their perception of their own skills and abilities.

nickman

There’s some good software that is similar to the test. Top result on Google. it’s not ‘how 2 become’.
There’s also plenty of plugs on here for really good software with minimal searching.
It’s not free, but depends how much you want the job.
why would you not over prepare?
Any links for that ??

12LDA28C

Established Member
Any links for that ??

Showing initiative, doing one's own research and not requiring to be spoon fed might be considered a positive attribute to possess when applying for a job. An inability to type a few words into a search engine - not so much. Just something to bear in mind.

7819Hinton

Showing initiative, doing one's own research and not requiring to be spoon fed might be considered a positive attribute to possess when applying for a job. An inability to type a few words into a search engine - not so much. Just something to bear in mind.
You are spot on.
Apologies ’nickman’ but they are right.

George2000

Just wondering, after completion of the OPC visual search exercise, will you be contacted if successful? On the other hand will you still be contacted if you have failed? Thanks for the help in advance

RailKing

If someone has received a rejection email, it's pretty safe to assume that all unsuccessful candidates who have fallen foul of the initial sift will have received a similar communication. If an applicant has not received such a message then it's a fair assumption they are still in the process.
I have still not received a rejection email…is it safe to say I’m still in the running and will get the VSE test soon?

mattymat

Can someone who’s done it give in depth examples of the VSE test and what comes up please? I’m still waiting to hear back.

Are there 3 rounds of questions?

RogerDoger

Can someone who’s done it give in depth examples of the VSE test and what comes up please? I’m still waiting to hear back.

Are there 3 rounds of questions?
First round is the track where there are multiple stations (dots). You need to watch and if there is an error click a button. An error may consist of the dot moving more then one space, moving backwards, changing colour or there being more then one dot on the screen.
Second test you have a cabin panel of shapes adjacent to another which represents the signal panel. On each panel several shapes will illuminate and you need to click one button if the signal and cabin panel are the same. And another button if there is an error.
The third test is to complete them both at the same time.

Honestly wouldn’t panic too much about them. The first two exercises are simple. The 3rd is pretty challenging but just read the instructions carefully and crack on with it. Honestly don’t think you can really prepare for it.

Aviator88

Strangely, I found Part 3 the easiest - I think I only made one mistake on it, compared to about 6 mistakes on Part 1. Parts 1 and 2 are your first exposure to a new challenge, whereas Part 3 is more a test of multitasking and prioritising ability, and you can almost leave the individual tasks down to your autopilot to manage, because you know how to deal with them already.

Best advice I can offer - if you make a mistake, you haven't failed. If you make many mistakes, you probably will. So when you make a mistake, forget about it immediately and refocus. Good luck everyone!

Theoffs

Concentration and speed is key for the tests - you are timed with your responses! Tests 1 & 2 are fairly straightforward - test 3 you will need to be alert and on the ball!! Remember it says on test 3 - the rail track is the PRIORITY - so concentrate on this first and then check the symbols!

mattymat

I’m thinking of doing it in a library where there will be background noise my laptop is too slow. I’m hoping it won’t affect concentration?

stelczkrisz

I’m thinking of doing it in a library where there will be background noise my laptop is too slow. I’m hoping it won’t affect concentration?
In my opinion library should be quiet enough for the test. As long as the internet connection is good and the mouse is working you should be fine just need to focus on the test. I completed mine at home but it’s been ages since i used a mouse so it was crap sometimes.