• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I've been looking at reviews for the airport, none seem to paint it in a good light as a flyer who has never used the airport before is Glasgow really that bad and one to avoid? I've got the choice of Edinburgh or Glasgow but as I've used Edinburgh a few times I thought I had a look at using Glasgow.

I'm sure a few on here have used Glasgow so what is it like? Is it a airport that's just like any other or is it one to avoid where possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
It's absolutely fine. In normal times I quite like it. During pandemic times it's been a depressing, semi-deserted shell with almost no businesses in operation and a temporary thru-way constructed to take you directly to departures in order to bypass the closed duty free area.

I did notice signs of life in the landside part of the main terminal last weekend. Starbucks has reopened on the ground floor along with a couple of the shops. Airside is beginning to reopen too. Rumour has it the BA Lounge is active again from Monday as part of a wider set of lounge reopenings.

Aictos

Established Member
It's absolutely fine. In normal times I quite like it. During pandemic times it's been a depressing, semi-deserted shell with almost no businesses in operation and a temporary thru-way constructed to take you directly to departures in order to bypass the closed duty free area.

I did notice signs of life in the landside part of the main terminal last weekend. Starbucks has reopened on the ground floor along with a couple of the shops. Airside is beginning to reopen too. Rumour has it the BA Lounge is active again from Monday as part of a wider set of lounge reopenings.
Okay thank you for that insight, judging by the reviews it sounded quite bad. As a general rule, how long does it take to transit the airport upon arrivals and departures bearing in mind I'm only taking carry on luggage.

nlogax

Established Member
Okay thank you for that insight, judging by the reviews it sounded quite bad. As a general rule, how long does it take to transit the airport upon arrivals and departures bearing in mind I'm only taking carry on luggage.

Right now and time depending, outbound you can get from the terminal doors, upstairs through security and to your gate in about fifteen minutes. Reverse direction, ten minutes from plane doors to terminal exit. Expect that to ramp up in short order as people return to flying and the airport gets busier.

For reference in normal times at GLA fifteen to twenty minutes is the maximum time I've ever spent getting through security.

XAM2175

Established Member
Pre-pandemic I never had any real problem with it. Not especially good, but not bad by any means either.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Even in peak summer holiday periods I've never had longer than a 15 mins wait to go through security. With just carry-one luggage, easily 5 mins at quieter times. It's not a huge airport really. You can easily go from the main entrance to the security gates in about a minute.

Aictos

Established Member
Even in peak summer holiday periods I've never had longer than a 15 mins wait to go through security. With just carry-one luggage, easily 5 mins at quieter times. It's not a huge airport really. You can easily go from the main entrance to the security gates in about a minute.
Sounds like Luton then with the description from your last sentence.

route101

Established Member
Flew out of Glasgow last week. Was not quiet at 730am but not really busy either. Starbucks, Boots and WH Smith were open. Glasgow is a big city but feel punches below its weight in terms of routes. Emirates excepted.

Butts

Veteran Member
I live in Falkirk which is almost equidistant between Edinburgh and Glasgow Airports.

Personally I prefer Edinburgh Airport as it is easier to get to for me. I think it would be fair to say Edinburgh is a bit smarter than Glasgow appearance wise. Glasgow is still heavily BAA heritage with regards to décor.

Glasgow used to have a Tesco Express in the Entrance which was great until they replaced it with an M&S Foodhall.

One thing neither of them provide is a post-security smoking facility unlike Aberdeen. :'(

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have BA Lounges which as someone said are due to reopen Monday.

route101

Established Member
I live in Falkirk which is almost equidistant between Edinburgh and Glasgow Airports.

Personally I prefer Edinburgh Airport as it is easier to get to for me. I think it would be fair to say Edinburgh is a bit smarter than Glasgow appearance wise. Glasgow is still heavily BAA heritage with regards to décor.

Glasgow used to have a Tesco Express in the Entrance which was great until they replaced it with an M&S Foodhall.

One thing neither of them provide is a post-security smoking facility unlike Aberdeen. :'(

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have BA Lounges which as someone said are due to reopen Monday.
I noticed the M&S but it was shut!

I am closer to Glasgow. The First Glasgow bus link is dear at £12 at least return.

Peter0124

Established Member

Feel like they should have just built an Airport in Falkirk and closed GLA/EDI as then it would better serve both cities without such competition etc

Aictos

Established Member

I am closer to Glasgow. The First Glasgow bus link is dear at £12 at least return.
The Airlink 100 between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Airport is only £7.50 for a open return, don't know why the Glasgow bus link has to be so expensive? I prefer Edinburgh as I'm used to it and it's easy to get services to Edinburgh itself be it tram or bus but I was thinking of using Glasgow as it's a airport that I've never used together with Birmingham as major international airports.

I probably be better off just sticking to Edinburgh then.

Butts

Veteran Member

There is always the Paisley Gilmour Street / Bus connection which is a bit cheaper from my end at least.

Luckily I have a CD Bus Pass now and one of it's best utilisation's is Free Travel on either Bus to GLA or EDI - quite a saving !!

Feel like they should have just built an Airport in Falkirk and closed GLA/EDI as then it would better serve both cities without such competition etc

Excellent idea :E

Falcon1200

Established Member
There is always the Paisley Gilmour Street / Bus connection which is a bit cheaper from my end at least.

I used that to Glasgow Airport shortly before the Great Lockdown last year, thinking it would be an efficient way to get there. However it also serves the housing schemes between Paisley and the Airport and at some points was heading directly away from the Airport rather than towards it ! Not what I would call a dedicated link. Now, if only someone would propose a rail line to the Airport.....

route101

Established Member
The Airlink 100 between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Airport is only £7.50 for a open return, don't know why the Glasgow bus link has to be so expensive? I prefer Edinburgh as I'm used to it and it's easy to get services to Edinburgh itself be it tram or bus but I was thinking of using Glasgow as it's a airport that I've never used together with Birmingham as major international airports.

I probably be better off just sticking to Edinburgh then.
When First and Arriva both ran the airport bus in competition with each other, the price was around half of what it is now. The service is quick but is dear. How far are you from Glasgow Airport?

I used that to Glasgow Airport shortly before the Great Lockdown last year, thinking it would be an efficient way to get there. However it also serves the housing schemes between Paisley and the Airport and at some points was heading directly away from the Airport rather than towards it ! Not what I would call a dedicated link. Now, if only someone would propose a rail line to the Airport.....
Would a railway line to Glasgow Airport be well used though?

I think the plan is for the metro to run to the Airport via SECC, Braehead and Renfrew.

nlogax

Established Member
Airport looking busier by the week. I've just made it from the car park to a seating area in the middle section up beyond the BA Lounge, still only fifteen minutes including relatively busy security and the windy path via duty free. Cabin baggage only. The cut-through corridor still looks to be available just after the steps down to duty free if you need to shave off another minute or two.

At a guess it looks like half the shops and pubs are now open including the Beardmore in the main hall. No sign of life from the BA Lounge but am assured this will be back in action from tomorrow.

Aictos

Established Member
When First and Arriva both ran the airport bus in competition with each other, the price was around half of what it is now. The service is quick but is dear. How far are you from Glasgow Airport?
I'm quite far from both airports as I live in the East Midlands but when I've flown in the past as I usually stay in the Edinburgh area I tend to use the airport there. As it is, I have the choice this time of using either as I'm in no rush and ticking off Glasgow Airport means one less UK airport to sample.

There was a rail link that was planned and they did the works at Glasgow Central eg platforms etc for it but when the GARL got cancelled they just used the Class 380s that were to be allocated to GARL to be used elsewhere.

Now if only Edinburgh was served by a airport station...

WestCoast

Established Member
Transport connections aside Glasgow is a great airport, it does the basics very well. Yes it’s a little dated but it’s plenty large enough and doesn’t feel cramped to me even when busy. Staff are efficient and friendly. Travelling down on early flights to London pre-pandemic I rarely had long queues at security and there was always a place to sit down in the departure lounge or on the piers. I find it less hassle than Edinburgh which pre-pandemic always felt overcrowded and stress inducing at peak times to me, I’ve never queued for 30 minutes at Glasgow Airport security which always seemed to be the case when I flew though Edinburgh in the mornings.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Glasgow is fine. My record from exiting aircraft to being in a taxi is 3 minutes (domestic flight, no bags).

Berliner

I don't use Glasgow that much and haven't done since March 2020. Departures-wise it's quite easy, although there isn't a great deal of choice airside and it feels too busy sometimes in the central area, certainly not enough seats. There is plenty of space at check-in, they even have a second terminal for that. In recent years especially, security has always been much better than in Edinburgh. International arrivals at Glasgow is a horrible experience, with a very small arrivals hall, lines move very slowly and it tends to fill up very quickly. It is certainly in need of expansion. I have no idea how it handled the likes of an Emirates A380 when they used to come in.

Rick1984

During pandemic times it's been a depressing, semi-deserted shell with almost no businesses in operation and a temporary thru-way constructed to take you directly to departures in order to bypass the closed duty free area.
That was a very surreal experience. Only a vending machine was available at one point!

paul1609

Established Member
Whilst you're right about the 757 the reality is it still only takes 13 minutes to make the journey. My Experience from regular Troon to Glasgow Airport journeys is that it actually carries very few airport travellers and so wouldn't be viable as a dedicated airport link. If thats too long you can take a taxi and save nearly 5 minutes. Ive walked it before its only 1.5 miles and took me 30 minutes with my backpack.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Whilst you're right about the 757 the reality is it still only takes 13 minutes to make the journey. My Experience from regular Troon to Glasgow Airport journeys is that it actually carries very few airport travellers and so wouldn't be viable as a dedicated airport link. If thats too long you can take a taxi and save nearly 5 minutes. Ive walked it before its only 1.5 miles and took me 30 minutes with my backpack.

IIRC it took a bit longer than 13 minutes (thanks to all the pensioners getting off with their shopping !), and I have actually considered walking, however it is not the most pleasant of areas and the route is not in any shape or form designed for those on foot or bicycle. OTOH I have always found Glasgow Airport a perfectly pleasant and suitable terminal.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Virgin Atlantic have today announced they are pulling out of Glasgow Airport in favour of Edinburgh Airport. (That's typical)

Scotland, we're bringing you the sunshine with brand new direct flights from
@EDI_Airport
to Barbados and Orlando Flights to Barbados will begin this December with Orlando set to commence from March 2022. Bookings open from the 18th August

Commencing flights from Edinburgh marks an exciting new chapter for us, as we move to a new home in Scotland. Our new base allows us to grow our flight portfolio, offering our Scottish customers more services to more destinations, than ever before. ^PE

Imo, this is quite a big blow for Glasgow Airport. It's a shame to see airlines pulling out in favour of Edinburgh, which can be difficult to get to for most people living on the West Coast.

Bill57p9

Pre pandemic I used Glasgow Airport regularly and found it no great hassle. Certainly a far quicker experience than Heathrow.
I used Edinburgh occasionally but always found it insanely congested, and I liked my personal space even pre pandemic.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Pre pandemic I used Glasgow Airport regularly and found it no great hassle. Certainly a far quicker experience than Heathrow.
I used Edinburgh occasionally but always found it insanely congested, and I liked my personal space even pre pandemic.

Agreed,

I find Glasgow better equipped for bigger jets, whereas Edinburgh seems to only really suit the narrowbodies.

I think Glasgow is an underrated airport as a whole.

However, JetBlue have hinted at introducing flights to Glasgow from New York... heres hoping?

nlogax

Established Member
Virgin Atlantic have today announced they are pulling out of Glasgow Airport in favour of Edinburgh Airport. (That's typical)
That will sting for GLA. I'm there now in departures, having just walked under a large screen continuously running an ad for Virgin projects over the years.. curiously no mention of them moving flights to Edinburgh.

However, JetBlue have hinted at introducing flights to Glasgow from New York... heres hoping?
Interesting, not heard those hints. Got a link?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That will sting for GLA. I'm there now in departures, having just walked under a large screen continuously running an ad for Virgin projects over the years.. curiously no mention of them moving flights to Edinburgh.

Interesting, not heard those hints. Got a link?

Only one I've got. Unfortunately it's paywalled.

If anyone is subscribed to The Times and can get past the paywall, I'll appreciate it.

nlogax

Established Member
Only one I've got. Unfortunately it's paywalled.

If anyone is subscribed to The Times and can get past the paywall, I'll appreciate it.

No luck finding a way past the paywall (and no way I'm paying for The Times :lol:) but from a browse of Twitter it appears the proposal would be for seasonal flights from JFK to GLA and MAN. Both airports really need the support of 'big routes' and this would be a shot in the arm for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.