• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
No luck finding a way past the paywall (and no way I'm paying for The Times :lol:) but from a browse of Twitter it appears the proposal would be for seasonal flights from JFK to GLA and MAN. Both airports really need the support of 'big routes' and this would be a shot in the arm for them.
I do think Glasgow needs the boost a lot more. We’ve had quite a few huge losses with Ryanair cutting their base, Thomas Cook going bust and Virgin Atlantic pulling out. Bearing in mid we also lost American Airlines to Edinburgh too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
WestJet have confirmed they are reopening their Glasgow to Halifax route, as well as a new Toronto service from May next year.

Canadian airline WestJet has announced plans to reinstate its Glasgow Airport Halifax route from May next year along with a new direct service to Toronto.

The announcement from the carrier heralds the return of services to North America from Glasgow Airport for the first time since March last year.

WestJet has been operating flights to Halifax since May 2015 and Nova Scotia’s capital has proved incredibly popular with Scottish passengers ever since. The airline plans to operate four flights per week starting May 3.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I’ve never understood how this route could have sufficient demand. Are there a lot of expat Scots in Nova Scotia?
Maybe a clue in the name - certainly Scottish culture is widely practiced in NS so not unreasonable to think there may be family links even if the early settlers from Scotland arrived a very long time ago.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Maybe a clue in the name - certainly Scottish culture is widely practiced in NS so not unreasonable to think there may be family links even if the early settlers from Scotland arrived a very long time ago.

If it was that simple surely there’d be lots of flights from Leeds Bradford (for York) to JFK!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’ve never understood how this route could have sufficient demand. Are there a lot of expat Scots in Nova Scotia?
I also think the flights would be popular for people wishing to connect onto the wider Canada network in Halifax, also offers connections to the USA.

I’m quite excited for the Toronto flight to start personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.