• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Expansion

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
So, is London Paddington for the 'city centre'?
Depends on your definition of London's city centre.

It will be interesting to see what the HS2 station at Old Oak Common is called. And I note from another current thread that tickets to Birmingham Stations aren't valid at Birmingham International...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jack Hay

It will be interesting to see what the HS2 station at Old Oak Common is called. And I note from another current thread that tickets to Birmingham Stations aren't valid at Birmingham International...
True, and 'Liverpool stations' tickets aren't valid to Liverpool South Parkway, and 'Manchester stations' are not valid to Manchester Airport - but they are valid to Deansgate and to Salford Central, neither of which includes 'Manchester' in the name. This is thoroughly confusing to passengers who are not ticketing geeks. Simplification is long overdue.

urbophile

Established Member
True, and 'Liverpool stations' tickets aren't valid to Liverpool South Parkway, and 'Manchester stations' are not valid to Manchester Airport - but they are valid to Deansgate and to Salford Central, neither of which includes 'Manchester' in the name. This is thoroughly confusing to passengers who are not ticketing geeks. Simplification is long overdue.
There'd be a riot if you added 'Manchester' to the Salford name, wouldn't there? But either all stations within a city should be given the city name, or none of them except the main termini/interchange ones. For Manchester, Piccadilly, Oxford Road and Victoria do just fine. The ticketing thing would be avoided if all cities adopted a zonal system. All tickets to London should be valid anywhere in zone 1; and similarly elsewhere.

PS being a bit pedantic here, but at least tickets from the south or the CLC line should be valid to Liverpool S Parkway since it's en route.

Djgr

Established Member
I notice that 'Liverpool Baltic' now appears on the line diagram on the Northern line platforms at Central. That could be encouraging, if slightly confusing because work seems nowhere near starting.

I wonder how long the station name will survive. 'Liverpool Central' makes sense to distinguish it from Birkenhead Central, and to identify the main Merseyrail station in the city. 'Liverpool Lime Street' is of course the main terminus for passengers elsewhere in the country, but 'Lime Street' alone is used on the Wirral line. Moorfields or James Street don't usually get the 'Liverpool' prefix. So why should Baltic? Some countries (eg Italy) make a point of prefixing the city name to the individual station name, for all stations within the city limits. British custom has never been to do that, otherwise we'd have Liverpool Sandhills, Liverpool Kirkdale, Sefton Bootle Oriel Road (!), Knowsley Kirkby etc. If Merseyrail becomes (officially or otherwise) distinct from the national network there would be even less justification for it.
Of course it's inconsistent but it's a much better name than Headbolt Lane! What about Liverpool South Parkway? Shouldn't that really be South Liverpool Parkway?

urbophile

Established Member
What a strange comment! Whoever suggested calling Baltic Headbolt Lane!!??? Anyway arguably that should be Kirkby Headbolt Lane.

Anyway arguably that should be Kirkby Headbolt Lane
I'd argue Tower Hill, or Kirkby Tower Hill (to avoid confusion with the other station), would be better. I think using road names should be a thing of the past, or at least avoided when there are other options available.

Djgr

Established Member
What a strange comment! Whoever suggested calling Baltic Headbolt Lane!!??? Anyway arguably that should be Kirkby Headbolt Lane.
I meant that the selection of the name Liverpool Baltic as a choice for this station is much better than the choice of Headbolt Lane for THAT station.

With Liverpool Baltic, everyone, whether local or not, has a pretty good idea where it is.

Headbolt Lane, 99% clueless.

BrianW

Established Member

I don't know, I'm not from there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm focused on what could make sense for Liverpool!
Indeed- what and where is a city centre; does a city, or 'city region', 'finish' at a political boundary; and as you stated upthread, Fawkes cat, what works operationally, and what makes sense, esp to those unfamiliar with places.

I note that London Old Oak Common has a certain LOOC about it; better than smelly London Old Oak ... ;-(
'Central' was a good 'marketing' name (and 'accurate') for not necessarily very central stations served by the Great Central Railway.

Jack Hay

There'd be a riot if you added 'Manchester' to the Salford name, wouldn't there? But either all stations within a city should be given the city name, or none of them except the main termini/interchange ones. For Manchester, Piccadilly, Oxford Road and Victoria do just fine. The ticketing thing would be avoided if all cities adopted a zonal system. All tickets to London should be valid anywhere in zone 1; and similarly elsewhere.

PS being a bit pedantic here, but at least tickets from the south or the CLC line should be valid to Liverpool S Parkway since it's en route.
You're right about tickets to LSP from the south, so there the problem is different. I was queuing recently to buy a ticket from the machine at Hartford and the passenger in front of me wanted to travel to Liverpool South Parkway, so on the initial 'Frequent Destinations' screen she pressed the button for 'Liverpool Stations'. I realised then that it was the obvious thing do to if you didn't have the ticketing knowledge that we on this forum do. I intervened and saved this passenger a few pounds.

Mr. SW

Just to keep you up to date...
Images of a new £100m Liverpool Baltic station have been released showing what the new station will look like.

Liverpool Baltic is one of four new stations planned for the City by Liverpool City Region Mayor Steve Rotheram.

Mayor Steve Rotheram has committed to completing the Liverpool Baltic project by the end of 2027.

The other three new stations will be at Daresbury in Halton, Woodchurch on the Wirral, and Carr Mill in St Helens, with work on those starting by 2030.
Also...
Rail passengers will get chance to see what a planned £100m railway station could look like using virtual reality.

The Liverpool Baltic Merseyrail station, which metro mayor Steve Rotheram previously said could be in use by 2027, was announced in 2022.

Work could be under way in 2025 and new designs have been unveiled ahead of a public consultation on the scheme.

A virtual reality "walkthrough" will allow the public to imagine themselves inside the station.
And...
GRAND plans to build a new Warrington Bank Quay station will change Warrington town centre forever a new report states.

The station would become the only hub station for the new Northern Powerhouse line, taking passengers to the likes of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds quicker than ever.

The report, which will be considered by councillors next week, maps out how this will affect the town centre - calling the changes 'catalytic'.

It would see more pedestrian links created and use pedestrian bridges over the Mersey to use currently neglected land at Arpley.
Enjoy.

WAO

Where does "sense" come into it when one is planning an architecturally iconic building for gullible electors and the nearby property developers? Coffee shops and designer boutiques, yes, but a minibus shuttle to the (actual) railway halt/s half a mile away should suffice. The best customers will come by car anyway.

The new Bradford proposal springs to mind.

Warrington BQ's now apocryphal NPR link to Liverpool really depended on HS2, RIP. One would have thought that its justification would have at least equally prompted the electrification of the CLC route. Neill Scales of Merseyrail said IIRC that Warrington was the biggest market Merseyrail wasn't in.

WAO

Meerkat

Established Member
Just to keep you up to date...

Also...

And...

Enjoy.
I’m loving this bit after some relevant official didn’t agree with his optimistic opening date.
He said: “Thankfully staff and officers don’t decide what happens in the Liverpool City Region, it’s the directly elected mayor and that happens to be me at the moment and I’ll be the one who decides on that."
Being elected gives you the power to overcome engineering reality!

Jack Hay

I’m loving this bit after some relevant official didn’t agree with his optimistic opening date.

Being elected gives you the power to overcome engineering reality!
Yes, that remark is a real gem, quite typical of elected regional politicians. They imagine they have more power than they do and they overlook national bodies such as Network Rail, which will have the final say on matters like this. Mayor Burnham behaves similarly, as if the Manchester rail network - which handles long distance trains and freight - is his to control.