• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT - Trainee Driver (Talent Pool) - Crewe / Shrewsbury / Leamington Spa (27/12/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Interesting, 1st external course for Crewe depot! Instructors will love that

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Crewe seems to have not many links on their cards, is this right?
Not sure what you're asking, Crewe has a single link on both drivers and guards sides. Around 70ish drivers off the top of my head. Similar number of guards too.

Or do you mean don't sign many routes? They sign Liverpool to Birmingham, all north Birmingham diversions, Crewe to Stafford via Stoke, Crewe to Rugby including Hixon and also New St to Walsall.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Crewe seems to have not many links on their cards, is this right?
Crewe
Traction:
350, 730 (training underway)
Routes:
Crewe - Liverpool
Crewe - Birmingham New Street (direct and via Bescot)
Crewe - Trent Valley - Rugby
Crewe - Stoke - Stafford
Stone - Colwich Junction
Bescot - Walsall

Danfilm007

Not sure what you're asking, Crewe has a single link on both drivers and guards sides. Around 70ish drivers off the top of my head. Similar number of guards too.

Or do you mean don't sign many routes? They sign Liverpool to Birmingham, all north Birmingham diversions, Crewe to Stafford via Stoke, Crewe to Rugby including Hixon and also New St to Walsall.

Thanks, yes that is what I meant (they didn't have many routes to sign)

Crewe
Traction:
350, 730 (training underway)
Routes:
Crewe - Liverpool
Crewe - Birmingham New Street (direct and via Bescot)
Crewe - Trent Valley - Rugby
Crewe - Stoke - Stafford
Stone - Colwich Junction
Bescot - Walsall

Thanks - just replied as I did! :D

SuperS16v

“Have not received any treatment for laser eye surgery”

What does this actually mean?

That you have had treatment following laser eye surgery or you have had laser eye surgery?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
“Have not received any treatment for laser eye surgery”

What does this actually mean?

That you have had treatment following laser eye surgery or you have had laser eye surgery?
I believe company policy is no laser eye surgery within the past 5 years. It's badly worded there though

SuperS16v

I believe company policy is no laser eye surgery within the past 5 years. It's badly worded there though

Ah right! First time I’ve seen that requirement! Really badly worded. I might drop them an email for clarification as I’ve had it done but about 9 years ago

Aviator88

Applied at 0530.
Rejection email at 1028.
Quick.

Same, applied at 0330, rejected at 1300. 20 minutes from the depot, full set of enhanced passes and all boxes ticked, didn't even get a shot at the SJT :D

GPR

Sorry to hear that, they are all over this! I'd passed sift and SJT by this morning
Cheers. Chin up and keep applying for whatever comes available. Crewe is a 47 minute drive down the M6 from me and I know how horrible that motorway is during peak hours so that commute could be hellish if I was successful.
Good luck with the application :)

Same, applied at 0330, rejected at 1300. 20 minutes from the depot, full set of enhanced passes and all boxes ticked, didn't even get a shot at the SJT :D
I’ve been depot driving the past 4 years with valid psychometrics. Hoping that it is only the 40 mile / 47 minute commute that has put me out of the running.

what depot did you apply for?

I applied for Crewe.

SuperS16v

Thrown my hat in the ring for Leamington

Well, that was fast! Applied at 0030 rejected at 1040.

Currently a railway signaller and ex copper. Full set of recent Passes, position in a talent pool already. First time I’ve not made it passed an application stage.

Not sure what they are looking for!

Good luck to everyone else

Last edited:

Aviator88

Leamington mate!

Well, that was fast! Applied at 0030 rejected at 1040.

Currently a railway signaller and ex copper. Full set of recent Passes, position in a talent pool already. First time I’ve not made it passed an application stage.

Not sure what they are looking for!

Good luck to everyone else

Same situation as me - strong safety background outside of the railway, full complement of passes, in a talent pool also, close to the depot. In case this reads as a bit entitled, I'm just confused and curious what the criteria is to even make it past the sift!

I'm wondering if it's a case of them already knowing who's going to be filling the positions but need to keep it all above board by advertising externally etc.

SuperS16v

Leamington mate!

Same situation as me - strong safety background outside of the railway, full complement of passes, in a talent pool also, close to the depot. In case this reads as a bit entitled, I'm just confused and curious what the criteria is to even make it past the sift!

I'm wondering if it's a case of them already knowing who's going to be filling the positions but need to keep it all above board by advertising externally etc.

Yeah with the risk of sounding entitled I was a bit confused to not get past the initial sift. I was wondering the same if it’s mostly internal candidates as well. Ah well, onto the next!

Samzino

The sift parameters can be anything. Usually it's scored on(at least from a TOC I know) key words(in several specfic sections out of a certain max score) in addition to demographic data. That will provide enough numerical data to sift applications into a stage where it could be humanly sifted before the next stage. There's an automatic cut off score in which if you're below this it will be a very quick email with no human having looked at your application.

These sort of sifts aren't just exclusive to the railway. Easily programmed for many other industries.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The initial sift is all about buzz words, you can give amazing answers but if the key words (as used in the job description) aren't used, after it means a fail.

I don't agree with this way of recruiting, it can turn into a tick box exercise with great applicants missing out.

SuperS16v

Yeah fully aware of the old tick boxes and buzz words, done enough applications and interviews, MMIs and DMIs in the rail industry and they are always the same. My tried and tested answers full do the buzz words usually work but not on this occasion it seems!

TJB8

Afternoon, all I just got an email regarding invitation to a SJT yesterday which I didnt do yet as I have 7 days to do It. After this I got a rejection email saying my application is not going any further for some reason.
I still done the assessment as the link allowed me to do
Did anyone else get this email?

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Afternoon, all I just got an email regarding invitation to a SJT yesterday which I didnt do yet as I have 7 days to do It. After this I got a rejection email saying my application is not going any further for some reason.

Samzino

This is unusual, if there is a contact email id be sending them one for confirmation.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I emailed recruitment waiting for a reply hopefully it was a mistake.
I think it's likely to have been in error, some people received an email regarding senior conductor testing yesterday!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Now that West Midlands Trains are recruiting for trainee train drivers again after over 3 years for Shrewsbury, Crewe, Leamington Spa, any idea when theyll be recruiting for Birmingham, Worcester and Bletchley again but also when will they be recruiting for trainee train drivers for Coventry and Wolverhampton?
Nobody really knows. New St is unlikely in the short term, Worcester has a high average age (like Crewe) so I would imagine there could be some there in 2024.

Also, Crewe has never hired external trainee drivers before, it's 1st internal course was December 2022.