• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Forster Square 4th Platform Funding Announced: what improvements would you like to see made?

MichaelTrains

When you say "new bus station" do you mean a temporary one to deal with the immediate problem at Interchange? Or have Metro and Bradford Council pulled their fingers out and moved to come up with a more permanent plan?
Is there coverage of this from any news organisations or official sources?

It's part of the city of culture transport redesign. There will be six new transport hubs/ bus stations of varying size s with metro centres within them around the city.

The one that will be outside the current Broadway entrance opposite St Peters House on that corner will be the largest I was told.

They still plan to retain the Interchange but with major structural issues found, that could be closed for another year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Are you talking about the Post office that used to be on Well St or the Post Office depot adjacent to Midland Hotel/Centenary court that was going to become a shopping centre ?
The official plans show a Cathedral "hub" outside the old GPO/St Peter's House/Kala Sangam and one at the bottom of Cheapside but none in between on Lower Kirkgate.

Andyh82

Established Member
The official plans show a Cathedral "hub" outside the old GPO/St Peter's House/Kala Sangam and one at the bottom of Cheapside but none in between on Lower Kirkgate.
None of which have anything to do with the Interchange, as the pedestrianisation of many city centre roads and rerouting the buses has been long in the planning

Ben427

Another entrance would certainly cost money and the shopping centre owners will want to re-let the space as retail once M&S vacate. However, how much interest will there actually be from other retailers? This interesting video from 'The Wandering Turnip' looks at the situation in nearby Leeds.
. If this is happening in Leeds, the situation in Bfd., is likely to be much worse. Therefore, creating another entrance might not be such a bad idea, if it generates extra footfall.
The guy on youtube is cherry picking the closed shops; Leeds has weathered the changes in the high street far better than most and there are still plenty of openings. However retail on the high street is rapidly becoming less important as food and entertainment venues become more relevant.

This was happening pre-covid, all covid did was (massively) accelerate trends

Veteran Member
None of which have anything to do with the Interchange, as the pedestrianisation of many city centre roads and rerouting the buses has been long in the planning
Agree, but it is somewhat relevant to a thread about Forster Sq.

Veteran Member
Apparently, rents in Bradford (and Wigan, Bolton and Rochdale) are in the top ten of rent increases, apparently due to their attractive 'commutablity'. Expect more 'business' at Forster Square (and Interchange and the 'new' station). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68338400
OT, but I wonder (having briefly been a landlord!) if they were starting from a relatively low base in each case?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Since this is likely to be constructed before the existing buildings and canopy and rebuilt I do wonder what sort of design is planned for this new platform!

MichaelTrains

Since this is likely to be constructed before the existing buildings and canopy and rebuilt I do wonder what sort of design is planned for this new platform!

It looks like it’s going to be around 10 metres further away from the buffers on platform one.

I presume because of the space constraints it’ll be similar in width to platform three rather than anything expansive like the big Long Island platform.

MichaelTrains

I presume to access it they’ll have to build a bridge or a second access gate next to the Poundland.

Interesting to see what they do with that regard because I don’t think they’ll be much room for a bridge and lift etc.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I presume to access it they’ll have to build a bridge or a second access gate next to the Poundland.

Interesting to see what they do with that regard because I don’t think they’ll be much room for a bridge and lift etc.
Won't it just be accessed from behind the buffer stops like the current platforms are? No need for a bridge at a terminus.

MichaelTrains

Welcome improvements.

Won't it just be accessed from behind the buffer stops like the current platforms are? No need for a bridge at a terminus.
No because the new platform is going to be offset further back.

I can't see where the room would be to fit it in for access to the current gateline.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Neptune

Established Member
"Hostile architecture" is not a "welcome improvement" in my book. How about doing something to solve the problem rather than shifting it elsewhere? :rolleyes:
Sadly Bradford Council is all about city centre vanity projects at a great cost that they can’t afford rather than solving actual problems to help everyone in their jurisdiction.

Established Member
You'd think they'd prioritise getting Interchange sorted.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No because the new platform is going to be offset further back.

I can't see where the room would be to fit it in for access to the current gateline.
If that is the case (and other posters appear to be suggesting that it isn't) that seems utterly daft.

You don't need any engineering qualifications to know that moving a gateline will be cheaper than any solution that needs an otherwise unnecessary bridge and/or a whole new gateline and step-free access.

Bantamzen

Established Member
If that is the case (and other posters appear to be suggesting that it isn't) that seems utterly daft.

You don't need any engineering qualifications to know that moving a gateline will be cheaper than any solution that needs an otherwise unnecessary bridge and/or a whole new gateline and step-free access.
There's tons of room behind the gateline to extend the walkway behind the buffers on P1, and around to where the new platform will be.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
There's tons of room behind the gateline to extend the walkway behind the buffers on P1, and around to where the new platform will be.

I don't even see why the gateline has become quite a discussion.

The rest of the station is/was supposedly being rebuilt anyway as part of this station gateway scheme!

Neptune

Established Member
Yes the platform will extend from the platform side of the gateline behind the bufferstops to access platform 0. Absolutely no need for any bridges or new entrances as suggested previously.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I took this the otherday when passing through just to show to those who arnt familar what actually behind the buffer stop looks like.

20240427_114240.jpg

Work has started already on clearing way for the new platform 0.

I did create a dedicated thread for this the other week which can be found via the below link: