• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU/Elizabeth Line 4G update

mrmartin

Big update... but not much more switched on.

TCR to Belsize park on the northern line, and TCR and Holborn.

Elizabeth line on track for spring, but no mention of stations being switched on before the end of the year (which I think the last update promised).

also south of the northern line by summer 2024.

Still incredibly slow imo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gigabit

Elizabeth line on track for spring, but no mention of stations being switched on before the end of the year (which I think the last update promised).

I already reported this

JonnyM

Anyone know any updates? Only a few weeks left really in 2023... less if you think they wouldn't go live over xmas period (not sure if that's true or not for the railway, but most IT projects I've been involved in would do anything to avoid going live over that time period).
As a reminder, below is the quoted text of the TfL press released from early September. "The end of the year" meaning 2023. Let's see what is actually delivered. Based on last years promises, I can't see it being much but I would love to be proved wrong.

"By the end of the year, 33 stations with platforms that are underground, and therefore usually unable to get a mobile signal, as well as connecting tunnels, will have mobile coverage, increasing to more than 40 stations by Spring 24."

"The Mayor also confirmed today that the first stations on the Elizabeth line to benefit from high-speed mobile coverage will be Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon and Liverpool Street. These stations will be live by the end of the year, with all stations and tunnelled sections getting 4G coverage by the end of Spring 2024."

It's odd, on Vodafone there is no reception at all north of TCR (either 4G or 5G), even though on TfL's own webpages it states there is coverage. There is a very strong 4G signal between Oxford Circus and Bond Street on the Central line though. It's all rather confusing.

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
It's odd, on Vodafone there is no reception at all north of TCR (either 4G or 5G), even though on TfL's own webpages it states there is coverage.
It's important to remember that every network's rollout is slightly different and goes live at a different time.

James H

From the new TfL business plan: "In the coming months, Boldyn Networks will bring connectivity to more stations on the Piccadilly and Victoria lines including Covent Garden, Warren Street, Russell Square and Holborn. The first four Elizabeth line stations will have mobile coverage by the end of 2023 and coverage across our whole network, including the Elizabeth line and DLR, will be delivered across the next two years."

MasterSpenny

From at least west of Bank (on the Central Line), there is now 5G signal.
5G single is now live on the Central Line! Well at least from Bank heading west!

Zeremony

Just noticed that 5G is live at Farringdon and Liverpool Street Elizabeth line. Not sure about any other stations. (I'm on Three mobile)

Zeremony

Not at Whitechapel Elizabeth line yet.
Works on the escalators and corridors at Farringdon and Liverpool Street.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Are they going to add 4G to the corridors etc at Liverpool Street for the Central Line?
Eventually, yes, full station coverage is part of the plans.

I think most stations and corridors have ceiling-mounted antennas now, which look a bit like — quite frankly — nipples.

Gigabit

Eventually, yes, full station coverage is part of the plans.

I think most stations and corridors have ceiling-mounted antennas now, which look a bit like — quite frankly — nipples.

Not sure what the delay is on turning on coverage at NHG on the passages from Central to District Line.

And are they going to install any of these nipples in stations where there's no indoor coverage but it works okay on the platforms? My fear is not.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Central Line is almost continuously connected then between NHG and Bank.
I can confirm that this does not appear to be the case. The western section is Holland Park to Queensway but on departing Queensway the signal dropped off and did not reappear until departing Bond St, like usual.

Gigabit

I can confirm that this does not appear to be the case. The western section is Holland Park to Queensway but on departing Queensway the signal dropped off and did not reappear until departing Bond St, like usual.

Ah, not as good as I thought then.

Zeremony

Extracts from IanVisits and the TfL Press release

Customers on the Elizabeth line received an early Christmas present this morning as four central London stations received mobile coverage for the first time.
Passengers now have connectivity throughout ticket halls, connecting corridors and platforms at Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon and Liverpool Street stations. This enhanced service complements the existing WiFi coverage in the stations, but it does tend to connect faster than WiFi, which is an added benefit for people checking messages as they pass through stations.

jon0844

Veteran Member
FARRINGDON STATION (Elizabeth Line Platforms)
NetworkDownload (Max)Download (Avg)Upload (Max)Upload (Avg)Ping (Min)Ping (Avg)
O227.79 Mbps20.83 MbpsTimed OutTimed OutTimed OutTimed Out
O2 (Attempt 2)31.00 Mbps15.62 MbpsTimed OutTimed OutTimed OutTimed Out
Three35.05 Mbps19.11 Mbps3.92 Mbps2.17 Mbps298 ms1269 ms
EE75.21 Mbps53.90 Mbps3.46 Mbps2.44 Mbps24 ms441 ms
Vodafone79.58 Mbps42.67 Mbps2.24 Mbps0.93 Mbps609 ms1401 ms
TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD STATION (Elizabeth Line Platforms)
O23.75 Mbps2.26 Mbps9.06 Mbps3.24 Mbps93 ms126 ms
Three86.28 Mbps68.44 Mbps8.47 Mbps4.93 Mbps536 ms659 ms
EE136.8 Mbps92.46 Mbps8.93 Mbps5.24 Mbps263 ms737 ms
Vodafone162.1 Mbps87.6 Mbps19.76 Mbps13.73 Mbps23 ms173 ms

jumble

FARRINGDON STATION (Elizabeth Line Platforms)
NetworkDownload (Max)Download (Avg)Upload (Max)Upload (Avg)Ping (Min)Ping (Avg)
O227.79 Mbps20.83 MbpsTimed OutTimed OutTimed OutTimed Out
O2 (Attempt 2)31.00 Mbps15.62 MbpsTimed OutTimed OutTimed OutTimed Out
Three35.05 Mbps19.11 Mbps3.92 Mbps2.17 Mbps298 ms1269 ms
EE75.21 Mbps53.90 Mbps3.46 Mbps2.44 Mbps24 ms441 ms
Vodafone79.58 Mbps42.67 Mbps2.24 Mbps0.93 Mbps609 ms1401 ms
TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD STATION (Elizabeth Line Platforms)
O23.75 Mbps2.26 Mbps9.06 Mbps3.24 Mbps93 ms126 ms
Three86.28 Mbps68.44 Mbps8.47 Mbps4.93 Mbps536 ms659 ms
EE136.8 Mbps92.46 Mbps8.93 Mbps5.24 Mbps263 ms737 ms
Vodafone162.1 Mbps87.6 Mbps19.76 Mbps13.73 Mbps23 ms173 ms
Bond Street on EE was around 75 Down and 5 Up today

jon0844

Veteran Member
Sounds about right. Very slow uplink. Wonder if it is being throttled intentionally?

MrJeeves

Established Member
O2 looking very good indeed.
As speedy as ever :lol:

Personally, I think these tests should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll likely head up to test myself in a couple of days with all the networks and Network Signal Guru to see what's really on offer from a technology point of view.

Gigabit

As speedy as ever :lol:

Personally, I think these tests should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll likely head up to test myself in a couple of days with all the networks and Network Signal Guru to see what's really on offer from a technology point of view.

Personally I am very happy with the speeds on O2 but then I don't need 500Mbps on my phone, I just like having a phone that works where I need it and O2 is the best for that where I live and work. But each to their own.

MrJeeves

Established Member
If it works for you, it works for you. O2 is the fastest in my area with about 300 Mbps on 4G, with EE's 5G at about 200 Mbps, but I still prefer to use EE as my main as it's usually more reliable in big cities I find.

Gigabit

If it works for you, it works for you. O2 is the fastest in my area with about 300 Mbps on 4G, with EE's 5G at about 200 Mbps, but I still prefer to use EE as my main as it's usually more reliable in big cities I find.

I'd be happy with 10Mbps wherever I go to be honest, there's nothing I can do with 300Mbps that I can't do with 10. At home is a different story but when out and about the massive numbers have never really meant much to me.

Personally I have found EE faster but much worse indoors so I can't rely on them.